Keeper: 2 Picks in 1st Round, inc 1st Overall. * WHIR * - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper: 2 Picks in 1st Round, inc 1st Overall. * WHIR *

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper: 2 Picks in 1st Round, inc 1st Overall. * WHIR *

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:32 am

Our draft is coming up this week and I ended up trading my way up the draft.... I have first overall via trade and my own original pick (8th). I had great squad but failed in first round playoff. See the draft's key players as follows. Hanley's injury has me playing ideas.... I originally thought CC to really build my pitching, and then looking at deeper for perhaps Freese or Rutledge for left side of infield later. Headley sitting there has me thinking. I need these first two picks to count as I don't pick again until third round, though I have four picks in that round. CC was my last player cut... That's why not protected... Others were let go even in deeper league.

Options to draft: Pick your top five options in order...

51Sabathia, CC
61Headley, Chase
79 Choo, Shin-Soo
91 Konerko, Paul
93Papelbon, Jonathan
100Motte, Jason
101Victorino, Shane
105Freese, David
107Weeks, Rickie
108Rosario, Wilin
109Samardzija, Jeff
115Peavy, Jake
118Ortiz, David
122Davis, Chris
124Rivera, Mariano
126Rodney, Fernando
130Nathan, Joe
132Aoki, Norichika
134Markakis, Nick
135Harvey, Matt

My roster info below:
14 Team League. Head to Head.
Beyond 10th Year Now. Built Well.
11 Keepers. Contracts are 3 years only.
With Buddies Since Tee Ball. Competitive.
Contracts Renew When Traded. Expire Yr in ( )
Compete in following 6x6 areas:
OBP H HR RBI R SB
WHIP IP ERA SO W SV

MY ROSTER
C
1B Albert Pujols (2014)
2B
3B David Wright (2015)
SS Hanley Ramirez (2015)
OF Mike Trout (2014)
OF Jose Bautista (OF) (2014)
OF Justin Upton (2014)
Util Matt Kemp (2015)
Util
Bench

Pitching Staff (Play 9/week)
SP Zach Greinke (2015)
SP Cliff Lee (2013)
SP Madison Bumgarner (2014)
SP
SP
RP Craig Kimbrel (2013)
RP
P
P
Bull Pen:
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper: 2 Picks in 1st Round, inc 1st Overall. * WHIR *

Postby dominicfaiola » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:50 am

Considering none of the other players can make near the impact it has to be CC. Although I think he'll have somewhat of a drop-off this year he is still the best player on the board and will help your pitching staff.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=456766
dominicfaiola
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 58)

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:22 am

I'd probably select Sabathia and then Rutledge for 2b or Motte for RP with my next pick if available.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1927)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:38 am

I would go with CC and then a closer due to the 14 team issue. Given it's a keeper it might be more interesting to take Headley over CC, if only because your pitching is solid as it is and Headley for the next couple of years (possibly on another MLB team) would be a good skill player to have in the Util spot. Up to you.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Martain » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:49 am

Snake draft, you have to go best available (sometimes even if it doesn't fit a true need).

If i'm you I'm going CC with the first pick (don't forget that Headley is also hurt, and has really only performed well one year), and then Willin Rosario (and if he's gone, Samardzija) with the 8th pick. You can always use CC as trade bait to get a 2B/SS if needed.

viewtopic.php?t=456708
Martain
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 am

Yeah talk about Slim Pickens riding the a-bomb going woo-hoo in his cowboy hat... I suppose I too would go with CC as the #1 pick in an attempt to make your pitching a noticeable strength as opposed to overdrafting someone in order to plug a hole. Given the names listed there I wouldn't overpay to have any of them at 2B/C, but then again I'm not the biggest Willn Rosario guy.... if Miguel Montero and his perennial ~.280/18/80 type offense is there he's a nice floor to have in terms of catching production; I have him in a bunch of leagues this year as I didn't want to roll the dice and risk a floor to have a ceiling, figuring .275/15/75 in a blah-ish year is solid enough to have at catcher.

another thing is that I like Matt Harvey over Jeff Samardzija. SHARK Samardzija is getting his propers for being the opening day starter, but he's coming off of a "breakout" year where he was 3.81/1.30 or something? That high WHIP worries me cuz a lot of times pitchers who have a ~1.30/ish WHIP they're obviously letting people on base a bunch and it usually breaks towards them having a higher ERA the next season unless they can get that WHIP down to ~1.20-1.25. Sure Harvey is a candidate to have his 2.73/1.15 regress somewhat, but those ~70k in ~58 innings or whatever are really nice. I think he has a higher upside than Samardzija over the next 3 years, just don't go into this assuming he's going to duplicate the 2.73/1.15 or even improve on it.... sure it's possible, but if he had a full season of ~3.45/1.23 or something you'd take it and run with it. it'll be interesting to see what an offseason of tape study and his 2nd go-around will do for him.

In terms of 2B, man, i bet you can land someone like the aforementioned Rutledge later on, or an Everth Cabrera if you wanna mortgage any inklings of power in order to get those SB, or hell maybe you can bet that this is the year that Gordon Beckham reclaims his early success and hits .280/+ cuz if he were to do that, I reckon he'd get his ~18/+ HRs and ~75/+ RBIs.

Also, I'd be leery of getting Fernando Rodney with a 3-year window in mind. Tampa has Jake McGee doing his thing and looking absolutely dominant and no matter what Rodney does, short of replicating last year for the remainder of his contract and accepting less than $5mil/yr because he wants to stay in Tampa Bay, Jake McGee will be closing in that timeframe. Shoot, if you've got your roster pretty much stacked and you've got enough SP/closers and you wanna get someone who could be an !! closer for ~2/3 of the upcoming years I'd heartily recommend Jake McGee as your guy over the Vinnie Pestanos of the world. In standard 5x5 scoring without counting holds McGee was ranked #137 overall last year.

So yeah, I reckon with pick #1 i'd go CC and then at pick #9 i'd hope Matt Harvey is there (and figure he prolly will be) but then I'd be treating #1 as a pick to help in the immediate future and using my #9 pick as a futures pick. Shoot, you could even invest that #9 in a profar/taveras/myers/eaton type prospect in the hopes of them developing into a future-for-sure-keeper over the next 2-3 years.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 am

Damn impressive candid commentary there. Next time I start a thread in this forum I'm PM'ing sinicalypse. ;-D
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Damn impressive candid commentary there. Next time I start a thread in this forum I'm PM'ing sinicalypse. ;-D

Samardzija's WHIP was 1.22 last year, so it kinda blows the argument out of the water. Plus I think alot of his hype is based on the fact that he got stronger in the second half which was impressive for a guy that was setting career highs in IP. He trended in the right direction last year.

I like Harvey and he has alot of potential but Samardzija has proven it a little more at this point.

That being said I think I take CC with the first pick and then probably Roasrio at 8th based on the Roster makeup. However I am extremely high on Choo this year, and might like him with the 8th pick as well.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:47 pm

Edit: Never mind, got my threads mixed up.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby carrythezero21 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:03 pm

1. Sin Shoo Choo
- A no brainer for me. Even if you did not have the pitching that you do, Choo is an absolutely ridiculous sleeper this year. I currently have him ranked as my 41st pick overall. He strikes out a bit much but I am looking at him as lock on 100/20/70/20/.290!!!!!!!!!! with upside of 115/25/80/25/.300 and an absolute bottom of 100/15/70/20/.275 that I feel will in no way happen. This guy strikes out a bit much so I do not consider him to be a first tier OF, but he could really show off this year in Cinci and has been a model of consistency (aside for his one year hurt).

2. CC
- Interesting pick but safe enough I guess. I am concerned that he is on the decline and his numbers will inflate a bit. Regardless he should be good for 15-16/3.45/1.2/180-200. I would look into maybe drafting him first only if you feel that the next round you draft in will have no pitchers at all.

3. Pap
- Would be nice to have 2 dominant closers. Most people abide by the rule of waiting on closer; all this does is make it more difficult to snag one off of the waiver wire when everyone is searching for those saves.

4. Konerko
- I love this old bugger. He is a lock for 25 ding dongs and close to .300 avg, not bad for a late round utility pick.

5. Headley
- Hurt but might be interesting if looking to use as keeper. Would hurt you this season.

6. Jeff Samadajayajdha
- Don't draft this guy with these 2 picks. Let someone else pick the CHICAGO CUB lol.
carrythezero21
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions