Puig hype train leaving station... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig hype train leaving station...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Puig hype train leaving station...

Postby paisano1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Timgeorge- Stick to your guns, these were the same guys that told me to trade Trout for Feliz last year because there was NO WAY he would even have a chance at getting a roster spot. In my keeper league it was the single biggest fantasy mistake I have ever made, and part of it was based off my fantasy cafe friends opinions.

This year I will be holding on to Puig. The kid is doing way way way to good. If he doesnt pan out then oh well. But if he does we can laugh all the way to the championship.

My prediction is simple. The dodgers save a year on Puig 3 weeks after the year starts. So no matter what he will most likely start down. Then Crawford will get hurt and Puig will get called up and play himself onto the team. Crawford comes back and the Dodgers trade Ethier to open up a permanent spot for Puig.
paisano1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metropolitans » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:12 pm

paisano1 wrote:Timgeorge- Stick to your guns, these were the same guys that told me to trade Trout for Feliz last year because there was NO WAY he would even have a chance at getting a roster spot. In my keeper league it was the single biggest fantasy mistake I have ever made, and part of it was based off my fantasy cafe friends opinions.

This year I will be holding on to Puig. The kid is doing way way way to good. If he doesnt pan out then oh well. But if he does we can laugh all the way to the championship.

My prediction is simple. The dodgers save a year on Puig 3 weeks after the year starts. So no matter what he will most likely start down. Then Crawford will get hurt and Puig will get called up and play himself onto the team. Crawford comes back and the Dodgers trade Ethier to open up a permanent spot for Puig.

:-/ someones bitter, lol

..... at the end of the day, don't blame the café for your decisions. the cafe's opinion is just "food for thought" but when in doubt, ALWAYS... and I mean ALWAYS go with YOUR gut! ;-D
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Timgeorge2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:30 pm

paisano1 wrote:Timgeorge- Stick to your guns, these were the same guys that told me to trade Trout for Feliz last year because there was NO WAY he would even have a chance at getting a roster spot. In my keeper league it was the single biggest fantasy mistake I have ever made, and part of it was based off my fantasy cafe friends opinions.

I have my opinion and enough confidence in my fantasy baseball knowledge to stick with it. I've gotten pretty good at this stuff over the years and I trust what I see. I'm not always right, but I've been right more than I've been wrong in a lot of these situations.

When someone comes to a forum and starts gushing about a player like Puig then people are going to jump on the other side of the argument...and that's to be expected. I really enjoy talking about fantasy baseball and I've always liked the Cafe, but I very rarely trust the opinions of others over my own.

It sucks that you lost on Trout, but at the end of the day you are responsible for managing your own team. I'll share my thoughts and anyone that wants can disagree, but I'm a stubborn a**hole so I doubt anyone is going to change my mind. It will be funny to take a look back on Puig in a few months or a year and see how he's progressed. I seriously think he's going to be an elite player in the majors in time and I think that he's one of the top prospects in the game...if not the top prospect. I like him more than Oscar Taveras and Jurickon Profar...maybe they are better comparisons since we are talking about a prospect here.

*(mod edit)*
Timgeorge2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Ethier is a pretty hard sell unless you eat a lot of his contract. I still think Puig is Viciedo with less experience though. Same type of skillset, same age, just Viciedo has a full time job and has proven his floor while Puig hasn't. Puig has a little more upside since he has a better plate approach but the pure power is about the same and during the adjustment period I doubt AVG is a big strength for Puig.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Ender wrote:Ethier is a pretty hard sell unless you eat a lot of his contract. I still think Puig is Viciedo with less experience though. Same type of skillset, same age, just Viciedo has a full time job and has proven his floor while Puig hasn't. Puig has a little more upside since he has a better plate approach but the pure power is about the same and during the adjustment period I doubt AVG is a big strength for Puig.

Puig could also steal 15-20 SB's at least early in his career but this is a pretty fair analysis.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:59 pm

Puig will never steal over 10. Viciedo will never steal over 5 though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mac-unit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 am

Ender wrote:Puig will never steal over 10. Viciedo will never steal over 5 though.

How can you say that? He stole 7 bases in 14 games at A+ last year.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 am

Ok maybe he'll steal over 10. I've seen him play and it didn't seem like running was part of his game though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Element » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 am

Ender wrote:Ok maybe he'll steal over 10. I've seen him play and it didn't seem like running was part of his game though.

It very much is part of his game. He is an over aggressive base runner right now. He could challenge 20+ steals right away. He's built just like Cespedes.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 am

Its spring training people. Sample size when pitchers are throwing a large number of fastballs to help them build arm strength. Puig was signed for a ton of money, and he has tools, but let's not get carried away here. Scouts have noted that Puig is still raw. He would best be served by spending a few months in double A. He might be great if he starts the year in the majors, but this will be his first full season in US baseball, and more development time will not hurt.

mac-unit wrote:
Ender wrote:Puig will never steal over 10. Viciedo will never steal over 5 though.

How can you say that? He stole 7 bases in 14 games at A+ last year.

Low minors steals stats are not reliable indicator of big league steals success.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers