Puig hype train leaving station... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Puig hype train leaving station...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Puig hype train leaving station...

Postby BigZ38 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:45 am

BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Puig hype train leaving station...

Postby Izenhart » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 am

This reminds me of when Albert Pujols made the OD roster his rookie season.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby Element » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:12 am

Choo Choo!! ;-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

It would have been nice if Yahoo would stop announcing all the sleepers for Joe Everybody. What's the point of noticing things when Yahoo just puts them on a neon billboard for everyone to see.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:10 pm

rjforlife wrote:It would have been nice if Yahoo would stop announcing all the sleepers for Joe Everybody. What's the point of noticing things when Yahoo just puts them on a neon billboard for everyone to see.

We've had this back and forth countless times here, but really, this is just a sour grapes opinion. If, in the year 2013, fantasy providers and writers aren't talking about relevant things, potential unknown breakouts, prospects, etc. they just aren't doing their job. If you're playing in a league where you're the only guy who knows who Yasiel Puig is, and the rest of your league is now aware of him because of this article, then you're not playing in the right league.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby isayfujobu » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:25 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
rjforlife wrote:It would have been nice if Yahoo would stop announcing all the sleepers for Joe Everybody. What's the point of noticing things when Yahoo just puts them on a neon billboard for everyone to see.

We've had this back and forth countless times here, but really, this is just a sour grapes opinion. If, in the year 2013, fantasy providers and writers aren't talking about relevant things, potential unknown breakouts, prospects, etc. they just aren't doing their job. If you're playing in a league where you're the only guy who knows who Yasiel Puig is, and the rest of your league is now aware of him because of this article, then you're not playing in the right league.

It is frustrating, but I tend to agree with this take. It's also why I like drafting in the first half of march. You can take late fliers and $1 players that can just be tossed right back if the breaks don't go their way in ST.
isayfujobu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:41 pm

isayfujobu wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

It is frustrating, but I tend to agree with this take. It's also why I like drafting in the first half of march. You can take late fliers and $1 players that can just be tossed right back if the breaks don't go their way in ST.

That's something I haven't really thought of but sounds right. You run into the injury problem drafting early but at the same time you can get those sleepers a little early before everyone starts writing articles about them and the hype trains go into full effect. Something to think about. :-?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Element » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:16 pm

Yup. My money league drafts in the morning (I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve night now!). I spoke with a couple of my league mates and they were name dropping a little bit yesterday. 6-7 years ago I would have no problem sneaking some players by them in the 2nd half of the auction. Now, everyone knows everyone and there are very few secrets.
Last edited by Element on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 pm

I'd rather get Dayan Viciedo who is being overlooked and has a clear fulltime job and just as much upside and is only 1 year older. The fact that people are so luke warm on Viciedo completely confounds me. 23 year old coming off of a 25 HR partial season is being completed ignored while a bunch of upside rookies about the same age are being drafted aggressively.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:45 pm

My ticket is punched for Taveras.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers