#1 pick in keeper league draft - who2take? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

#1 pick in keeper league draft - who2take? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

#1 pick in keeper league draft - who2take? WHIR

Postby sinicalypse » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:40 pm

hey guys, in my 13-team / 6-keeper 5x5 yahoo roto league i've got the first pick in the upcoming draft. everyone's got their 6 keepers so there's a solid pool of players to choose from, and i'm wondering who you lot think i should go with.

edit: there are no restrictions on how long you can keep someone, so whoever i get can stay on my team til the end of the world if that's what i wanna do.

going into the draft i've kept albert pujols, andrew mccutchen, jason kipnis, mark trumbo, felix hernandez, and yu darvish.

some of the players available who i can get include...

offense: jose reyes, justin upton, paul goldschmidt, brett lawrie, adrian gonzalez, joe mauer, hanley ramirez, and pretty much anyone below that (figure all of your profar/taveras/wil-myers/eaton type prospects arr there)

pitching: madison bumgarner, jordan zimmerman, adam wainwright, aroldis chapman, matt harvey, and of course a cornucopia of relievers that aren't craig kimbrel.

so yeah, given that this year i'm probably going to look to see if i can get a solid deal for pujols and or felix (depending on how he's doing juxtaposed with yu potentially taking the next step to the low 3s / high 2s) obviously the names that stand out to me are upton, lawrie, and bumgarner. my gut reaction said bumgarner, seeing as he's showing a nice upward trend and has been a consistent guy with nice k-rates and has worked his way through adversity, be it shaky performances and/or bad luck.

however, even tho lawrie has ANOTHER damn injury this spring and last year's ~.280/11/50/10 or whatever didn't set the world on fire, he's always a tantalizing pick. it probably wouldn't surprise anyone if he managed to do .280/25/80/20 or something this year, however he's yet to do it. and justin upton.... well we all know that if he puts it all together he's fully capable of a nice solid 20/20 season and maybe even 30/30 if everything works out... he's 25 and after a down year last year he's available.

so what do you think.... who would you go with? if i haven't answered your question already be sure to leave a link to yours here so i can get to it. merci beaucoup!
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: #1 pick in keeper league draft - who2take? WHIR

Postby DaNamesBond22 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 pm

jose reyes, justin upton, paul goldschmidt, brett lawrie, adrian gonzalez, joe mauer, hanley ramirez, and pretty much anyone below that (figure all of your profar/taveras/wil-myers/eaton type prospects arr there)

Of the guys you listed, it's definitely... no question ... has to be Justin Upton. With the number 1 pick, I would never take a pitcher, especially with all these great hitters available. You can draft a pitcher much later who can put up similar numbers to Bumgarner. You always go with the hitter early.

Upton is still very young and is a potential MVP candidate every year. Most experts are high on him this year, placing him better that the hitters you listed.

I like Lawrie too, but he hasn't proven anything yet. You can't trust that into a #1 pick. Upton has proven himself. Can easily be a 100-30-100-30 guy for years to come.

viewtopic.php?t=456683
DaNamesBond22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 48)

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:59 pm

I just dont see how in your format you pass on Upton. I wouldn't use your pick on pitching because rarely are pitchers good to the end of the world, but hitters are good year in and year out.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:01 pm

yeah the only nitpicky reason i could pass up upton would be that i already have mccutchen in the OF.... but i guess having two five tool OFs is rarely a problem, eh?
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:07 pm

sinicalypse wrote:yeah the only nitpicky reason i could pass up upton would be that i already have mccutchen in the OF.... but i guess having two five tool OFs is rarely a problem, eh?

Ya you're right, your OF may be too good if you get Upton. So you should probably pass. :-D
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fenris-77 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Upton or Goldschmidt. Probably Upton since you have Pujols at first already. That said, this might be the season to explore Pujols' trade value, and having a top option behind him makes that easier to stomach.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ron paul for pres » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:34 pm

I wouldn't even consider Lawrie for this pick. He's a decent bat, but not in the same league as Justin Upton. I'm a bit biased as a Braves fan, but I think he could do well in this lineup. Heyward is going to have a great year, so he'll be on base a lot for Justin to drive him in. Hopefully, playing with his brother will bring out the competitive drive in Justin. You know he's got the talent.

Bumgarner is an intriguing pick here. I think he's going to have a great year. I've got him on my team. He's flying more under the radar than other top ten pitchers, but I think he could be at that level this year. Who knows? You might be able to get him in the next round. But there's no way Justin Upton will last another round. Take him now.

Thanks for help with mine. You made great points, and I tend to agree with you. It's just really tempting to add Braun to my lineup.
ron paul for pres
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Seanyfever » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 am

Difficult to see why Upton was not protected.... He's my pick.

Help out a Cafe Brother... Help Me Select 2 in the 1st Round!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=456760
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Postby dominicfaiola » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:40 am

Without a doubt it has to be Upton. Shocked that he was not kept with 6 keepers per team but it only adds to your team.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=456766
dominicfaiola
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Carnac » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 am

Go Upton. Gives you great start to your outfield. Good luck and thanks for help on mine.
Carnac
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions