12-team Roto, Thanks in advance! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

12-team Roto, Thanks in advance!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12-team Roto, Thanks in advance!

Postby Simon Bonesteel » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 pm

12 team roto league, I got the 5th pick. I think I got a decent balance with injury bouncebacks and late-round value picks, etc. Is my pitching too weak? Should I make some trades to strengthen my OF spots? Any comments would be very much appreciated!
Batters Stat Categories: R, HR, RBI, SB, K, AVG, OBP
Pitchers Stat Categories: W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA, WHIP

C - Jesus Montero SEA (R18 P8) - wasn't planning on taking him, but he was falling farther and farther, so I pulled the trigger
1B - Joey Votto CIN (R1 P5) - probably higher than you'd normally see, but I love him in an OBP league
2B - Dustin Pedroia BOS (R2 P8) - had to go with a high-end option in a weak 2B group
3B - Ryan Zimmerman WAS (R3 P5) - have always been a huge Zim fan, and love the Nats lineup
SS - Asdrubal Cabrera CLE (R7 P5) - not really a huge fan of late-round SS options, like the CLE lineup this year
CI - Ike Davis NYM (R8 P8) - hit .255/.346/.542 with 20 HR after the break last season, love those numbers in the 8th round
MI - Neil Walker PIT (R11 P5) - some nice power from the MI position, could also be trade bait
OF - Shin-Soo Choo CIN (R6 P8) - gets a bit of a boost from OBP, expecting good things in Great American this year
OF - Andre Ethier LAD (R12 P8) - hoping for Swisher here, but he was taken just before my pick
OF - Brett Gardner NYY (R14 P8) - investing heavily in Gardner this year, he's due for something huge
OF - Dexter Fowler COL (R16 P8) - had a great OBP last year, liking his numbers in Coors
OF - Michael Saunders SEA (R22 P8) - hoping for Maybin or Denard Span here; Saunders offers a nice power/speed combo, but poor OBP
UTIL - Howie Kendrick LAA (R17 P5) - late-round pick here, trying to strike some gold
UTIL - Brandon Belt SF (R19 P5) - hoping for some late-round power here, can he keep his job?
BN - Jean Segura MIL (R23 P5) - late-round speed, one of the trendy sleeper picks for this year
BN - Peter Bourjos LAA (R27 P5) - another post-hype pick, we'll see if he can capture his '11 form
BN - Jeff Keppinger CWS (R28 P8) - buried in Yahoo's rankings, but I've always liked him; he now has a guaranteed starting job
BN - Luis Cruz LAD (R30 P8) - has a guaranteed starting job, LAD needs him even more with Hanley out, let's see if he can pick up the slack

SP - Cliff Lee PHI (R4 P8) - elite Ks and WHIP, hoping for better wins
SP - Adam Wainwright STL (R5 P5) - wanted another solid top-rank starter, big fan of Waino
SP - Jeff Samardzija CHC (R9 P5) - love the Ks here, not expecting a ton of wins but he could be this year's Scherzer
SP - Brett Anderson OAK (R13 P5) - if he can stave off the injury bug, this is an excellent pick
SP - Jaime Garcia STL (R20 P8) - if he bounces back from injury, he's a great back-end arm
RP - Mariano Rivera NYY (R10 P8) - okay, this one is a little bit of a homer pick, but he's one of the best in the biz
RP - John Axford MIL (R15 P5) - liking the Ks here, and even if he blows saves, he's got no competition for the job
RP - Ryan Madson LAA (R21 P5) - will likely be starting the season on the DL, but hoping he'll take the closer's reigns eventually
RP - Kyuji Fujikawa CHC (R26 P8) - expecting a Marmol trade/meltdown sooner rather than later, I think Kyuji will slot in smoothly
BN - A.J. Griffin OAK (R24 P8) - was impressed by him last year, very intriguing young arm
BN - Chris Tillman BAL (R25 P5) - let's see if he can sustain his magic from last year
BN - James McDonald PIT (R29 P5) - if his dropoff last year was from fatigue, a strong start this year could be in store
DL - Cory Luebke SD (---) - picked up right after draft and moved to DL, one of my favorite guys to make a mid-season impact
"I'd tell you to buy a clue but you don't have enough cents."
Simon Bonesteel
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12-team Roto, Thanks in advance!

Postby Lips » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks for your opinions on mine, I agree on chisenhall, unfortunately to get some of my strength all the other 3B had gone. At corner Chisenhall would be serviceable I think, and my corner is Konerko who will get stats that are good for a 3B, so I think it's a wash. I'm more worried about my pitching, at least in wins, but you can never count on wins.

You have some good strength here. I'll address the spots I think if be more concerned with then you appear to be:

Brett Gardner: is he hitting top of lineup or bottom? Will make a huge difference, but he just doesn't get enough hits. His speed is legendary, but if he hits above .260, I'll be shocked. And is his obp much better? He'll get you steals, but you won't be 'wowed' by much more.

Neil walker: had him last year and though his numbers look serviceable, he won't feel like it during the season. Everything comes so sporadically, you never feel he is helping.

Dexter fowler: traded for him late last year, has the tools, but hasn't done it yet. If he figured the major leagues out, he will rock your world, until then, he will just be another guy.

Jean segura (see fowler above, except not much power).

Overall your pitching staff is better than average. Won't be #1 in most categories, but should be better then the median.
Lips
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AroundTheFur922 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Not a big fan of your MI combo of Asdrubal and Walker as I'm just not much of a believer in either of them and generally try to find value in later round SS's IE Scutaro. Your 1B, 2B, & 3B slots are solid as a rock (I believe Zim will stay healthy and produce). Ike is kinda up in the air as far as what you'll get from him but his power potential is definitely there.Your OF seems to be your weakest offensive area as you're banking on Choo staying healthy (already having back issues in spring training) and Gardner producing amidst a depleted Yankee$ lineup, not a believer in Fowler or Saunders. Your top 3 starters are a great combo of WHIP and K rate but Anderson and Garcia are walking Band-Aid advertisements. Mo's the greatest of all time but at age 43 can he still perform? Axford's a time bomb, Madsen's on the DL, and Fujikawa doesn't offiially have the job yet so your bullpen's a mess. Griffin, McDonald, & Luebke could be saviors for you if they perform like they're capable and Luebke comes back in good shape. Not a bad team overall but definitely some holes that need filling.
AroundTheFur922
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Simon Bonesteel » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:15 am

Lips wrote:Brett Gardner: is he hitting top of lineup or bottom? Will make a huge difference, but he just doesn't get enough hits. His speed is legendary, but if he hits above .260, I'll be shocked. And is his obp much better? He'll get you steals, but you won't be 'wowed' by much more.

Gardner will be hitting leadoff vs. righties; Jeter leadoff vs. lefties. I'm digging him this year, I think he'll serve as a great catalyst for a Yankee lineup that's weaker than usual. In his last two full seasons, his OBP was .389 and .345, respectively, so he's got the potential for some solid numbers. We'll see about the other guys you mentioned, I'm not super confident that Fowler will repeat his great OBP from last year, but if he does, I want to be in on it. Thanks for the feedback.
AroundTheFur922 wrote:Your OF seems to be your weakest offensive area as you're banking on Choo staying healthy (already having back issues in spring training) and Gardner producing amidst a depleted Yankee$ lineup, not a believer in Fowler or Saunders.

My OF is definitely my weakest area, but it's way too deep of an area to spend high picks on, especially in a 5 OF league, there are always breakouts and guys to pick up for the OF as the season goes on. I like to get high picks in shallower positions like MI; I guess I can't fault your opinion, but I'm a big Asdrubal fan, personally. Thanks for your input.

EDIT: I also was able to pick up Mitchell Boggs to shore up my pen a little bit in terms of guaranteed saves.
"I'd tell you to buy a clue but you don't have enough cents."
Simon Bonesteel
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team