Just one bit of advice..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just one bit of advice.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just one bit of advice.....

Postby Prime Time » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:06 pm

I am a first timer with my roto auction ($260) cap draft tomorrow. It is a 5x5, mixed league with 23 total players (14/9 split). If there is one thing I should remember when assembling my team, what do the experts here at Baseball Cafe recommend? I am looking for all the help I can get. Gracias.

[/quote]
Prime Time

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby The Jury » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:51 pm

Draft prime time hitters all the way.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jonnyblack » Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:28 pm

IMO, and in a nutshell, the best way to approach a draft is to have an idea of what you want your team to look like, then scrap it all and take the best players available at the time of your picks. you can round out your roster in the latter rounds. Also there are only three our four pitchers that belong on the same level of the top 15 or 20 hitters.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby Ike » Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:59 am

Don't spend your money too fast. Then, sort of 'otoh', as you approach the later picks, think through your money left for the players you want, so you don't end up with money left over.

As others have referred to, don't overdo it on pitching. There are more good or serviceable pitchers than comparable hitters.

My 2 cents. :)
amore cecidi tamquam blatta in peluim
Ike
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby stevelabny » Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:57 am

i've been in a $260 5x5 mixed auction league for 6 years.
by cap, do you mean just for the draft? or do players hold thier prices all season and you can never go over 260 (meaning you might have to cut players or make trades to pick up FAs)?
i'll assume its just for the draft, but just checking.

anywho, have you played any kind of fantasy baseball before? and do you know the guys youre drafting with? both of these are important questions.

some might suggest drafting heavy hitting, but if you truly are a newbie, i wouldnt. id suggest you try for a more balanced team.
the ability to scout cheap pitchers is definitely improved upon with experience. last year i spent $220 on hitting and $40 on pitching but i would never have tried that 5 years ago.

my first word of advice, unless youve seen the results of a previous draft in this league...no matter who the first player brought up for auction is.... dont bid him up or purchase him. (unless its one of the top 5 players for under $25) unless the guys are being brought up in the same order as theyd be drafted in an s-draft, id sit back as long as possible to make sure i had a feel for the drafting prices. (plus, this goes along with the strategy of bringing money out early)

early in the draft i would bring out as many stars at scarce positions that you know you don't want to make other teams spend money.
later on, bring up any of the "hot" or "sleeper" picks you dont believe in to make people pay for them, just in case you are wrong.
make sure to bring up 1 or 2 players you DO want in the middle of the draft just to keep them honest.

if the auction draft is in-person, its all about the poker face. u have to figure out which guys they want and which guys theyre bidding up. and make sure they cant read you as easily.

some people will tell you to not have any guy u MUST have. or that you should not pay for position scarcity. both of these are false and only started when people were paying 50 for the 3rd best catcher. dont be afraid to spend a few extra bucks on someone you think will break out. and you will almost have to spend a few extra bucks on any 2b,ss, 3b, c. (to the extent that most catchers are worth NOTHING and u have to pay a few bucks for even the bottom of the barrel). just dont overdo it. the key phrase is A FEW BUCKS MORE.

there are certain strange things about every draft. in my league, we have somehow managed to completely devalue closers. this started in 2000, continued in 2001. someone paid 27 for rivera early in 2002, then the rest of the closers went under 12. the poor sap who got stuck with rivera at 27 had 15-20 dollars left then the rest of us to build a team.

also make sure u keep your own full list of teams so you know which teams filled which positions and how much money they have remaining. this can help to judge who people are looking to take, and how much they are willing to spend.

as for how much you spend on hitting and how much on pitching. it matters how many teams are in the league and how the other people like to draft and which you think you are a better scout of.
my league is only 10 teams. so not only would most say their is quality pitching, but also quality ofs and 1b all around too. there has been a definite trend towards the prices of starters going way up as people want to make sure they have a stud staff.

the other thing i love to do, that a lot of people on this board still dont seem to like is draft 5 category hitters. if a guy can go 20-20 i want him on my team. this hurts you in trading (cant trade steals for homers if all your steals guys are homers guys too ) but helps you to suceed straight out of the draft.

sorry that this post was so disorganized, but good luck anyway
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:01 pm

markbuehrlestinks wrote:some might suggest drafting heavy hitting, but if you truly are a newbie, i wouldnt. id suggest you try for a more balanced team.
the ability to scout cheap pitchers is definitely improved upon with experience. last year i spent $220 on hitting and $40 on pitching but i would never have tried that 5 years ago.

the other thing i love to do, that a lot of people on this board still dont seem to like is draft 5 category hitters. if a guy can go 20-20 i want him on my team.

The whole post was excellent but these are two points that were worth reminding. I will never spend on pitching. 2 studs and a closer is about it. the rest i can always find later off the wire, but you must have the time to study and know what you are looking for.

As far as 5 category players. it is a must to have as many as possible. there is an abundance of them in the OF and a few at 2B/SS
The 'game" is 5x5 and if one player can help you in all five he will be of more value than two players that help in three. Tat is why Vlad should be the number one pick in every draft. The Best RJ can do is four categories.

The draft "winner" is usually the guy who got the most value.
Spent 260.00 but team is valued at 360.00 (i.e. predraft rankings)
This person has a headstart on the league but the idea is to win the game. The season is 6 more months longs. your homework has only begun.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Return to Baseball Leftovers