Your favorite $1 Prospects for a Deep Dynasty Leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your favorite $1 Prospects for a Deep Dynasty Leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your favorite $1 Prospects for a Deep Dynasty Leagues?

Postby Tex34 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Its the inaugural draft of a deep H2H auction dynasty league. Which "cheap prospects" do you covet? I'm talking beyond the well-known guys who could make a near-term impact like Walker, Bauer, and Olt. Someone you could snag for $1 or $2 and sit on for 5-6 years.

Thoughts?
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your favorite $1 Prospects for a Deep Dynasty Leagues?

Postby Fade2White12 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Well, which is it, near term or to sit on for 5-6 years? :-b

If you're looking for more immediate impact, look for players with a relatively clear path to the majors. The Yankees, for example, have all those expiring contacts and a nice crop of young OF, like Austin and Heathcott.

If you're wanting cheap long term upside, look for guys that maybe have an injury history or some blemish on their résumé, but have the potential to be fantasy superstars if things break right. The player that immediately comes to mind is Josh Bell.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Tex34 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:00 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Well, which is it, near term or to sit on for 5-6 years? :-b

If you're looking for more immediate impact, look for players with a relatively clear path to the majors. The Yankees, for example, have all those expiring contacts and a nice crop of young OF, like Austin and Heathcott.

If you're wanting cheap long term upside, look for guys that maybe have an injury history or some blemish on their résumé, but have the potential to be fantasy superstars if things break right. The player that immediately comes to mind is Josh Bell.

You may have mis-read. I said beyond the obvious near-term guys who will be expensive. Most prospects who will make a fantasy impact in the near term will take more than $1 in a dynasty league. I'm just curious who people like further down the road.
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fade2White12 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Without more details, it's too difficult to guess what prices prospects might go for. How many teams, roster spots, budget? Do you have a separate MiLB system?

With what I was given, I gave it a shot. !+)
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tex34 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:Without more details, it's too difficult to guess what prices prospects might go for. How many teams, roster spots, budget? Do you have a separate MiLB system?

With what I was given, I gave it a shot. !+)

I don't think the details are relevant. I was just curious who everyone's favorite non-hyped/sleeper prospects are in a hypothetical inaugural dynasty league.
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Fade2White12 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:46 pm

I'll let someone else answer then, because I find that information extremely relevant. If you have no MiLB system and a limited bench, prospects barely beyond the top 15 will go for a buck or two. It'd be useful to know if you're looking for guys within the top 50, or even outside the top 200, who have the chance of rising precipitously through the ranks.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigken117 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Addison Russell and David Dahl were my two must haves from my most recent draft. If you can get them for $1 for the next 5-6 years it'd be worth the wait. However I usually wouldn't advise stashing someone like that on an active fantasy roster unless your bench ran 6 or more deep. If you have a farm system then all the better

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:57 pm

bigken117 wrote:Addison Russell and David Dahl were my two must haves from my most recent draft. If you can get them for $1 for the next 5-6 years it'd be worth the wait. However I usually wouldn't advise stashing someone like that on an active fantasy roster unless your bench ran 6 or more deep. If you have a farm system then all the better

This. Guys who are even 2-3 years away just aren't worth stashing on an active roster, no matter the upside. You're getting ZERO production from that spot for multiple years, and even then, prospects are far from a sure thing. Unless your team is in full-on rebuilding mode, steer clear.

That being said, if you do have some sort of minor league system, then details are extremely relevant. Or just a general sense of the value of prospects in your league. For example, how much did Oscar Tavaras go for? Aaron Hicks? Josh Bell? That should give us a baseline.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby Tex34 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Just to be clear, I don't have a specific league in mind. I was simply interested in who people thought were the next best things after the front-pagers like Taveras/Profar/Bundy/Hamilton, haha. I'm not asking for advice, this is just a name-dropping exercise for the general audience.
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers