The first round only 4 deep in 2013 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The first round only 4 deep in 2013

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The first round only 4 deep in 2013

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:23 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:
Ender wrote:Well if that is how you are talking then I would add Fielder who is all of those things and any league that lets Fielder drop to the 2nd round has completely failed at fantasy baseball or are insanely shallow.

I agree with Fielder. That's why I have him ranked 5th overall this year. Cano & Fielder have a similar forecast, but Cano occupies a position where it's virtually impossible to find a .300/30/100 guy, and he is far more healthier to boot.

there are quite a few .280 15/80/80/15 guys at 2B though, and maybe only 1 (Goldschmidt potentially) at 1B

Give me Fielder and Zobrist/Phillips/Kipnis/Rutledge over Cano and ???? cause the first is giving me some steals
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FindingTim » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm

I fully agree, OP.
I pray I won't get a pick in the McCutchen/Kemp/Car-Go/Votto/Pujols range. I don't trust McCutchen's batting average or power, I don't trust Kemp or Car-Go's or Votto's health, and I don't trust that Pujols is still a first round talent.

I suppose on the bright side this range allows you to nab a potential top 10 player like Hamilton/Longoria on the back end... but I'd much rather draft in the top or bottom 3--- the middle is dangerous.
FindingTim
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Gotta agree, except I think it's more like 3 deep (Braun, M-Cab, Trout) and even then Trout is still a little risky.

I ended up with the 4th overall and was bummed, I'm not a big Cano guy and the Yanks look are really hurting right now, so I was going to pick Kemp 4th overall. However, then I was sent a proposal..my 4th overall and 117th overall for his 1st overall and 144th overall. I decided to pull the trigger on this, I looked over the players ranked in the 115-150 range, and I honestly didn't see a big difference, I even liked some of the guys more that were going around 140ish. I felt like the difference between a player like Braun that is as close to a for sure thing as you can get, and Kemp who is still a little risky was worth picking 27 picks later in the mid round. Most of the league thinks it was a terrible move for me, but what do you guys think?
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:38 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:and even then Trout is still a little risky.

This.

Trout is just as risky as Kemp, McCutchen, Votto, Pujols, etc...different kinds of risk but a risk all the same. IMHO.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 pm

This thread is drepressing me.

I have the #5 pick in the Yahoo 12-team roto league I commish. With our keeper format Trout is gone leaving the four guys fiend list as the projected Top 4. As a Yankee fan I am kind not diggin' on Cano with that lineup. So, I am locked in on Votto, who by the way has 2 doubles and a jack this spring :-D

Fielder is the back=up if a league mate is reading this and doesn't take Cnao.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Brainstorm » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 pm

I think one thing you're overlooking is someone taking Kemp/McCutch/Votto/Fielder over Cano at 4, leaving you available to snag him at 5.

While your top 4 is in some order the same for the majority of players, there are some who don't agree. I can easily see an owner taking McCutchen over Cano.

Maybe this is wishful thinking though too as I have the 5th pick in a draft this week and I'm hoping Cano drops :)
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers