Points League Strategy.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Points League Strategy....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Points League Strategy....

Postby Metropolitans » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 pm

In my 10+ years of doing this lovely sport of Fantasy Baseball, I have never done a "Points League".... and with that said, is there any additional advice or strategies that you can suggest?? The lack of Batting Avg, OPS, ERA, Whip, K/9, etc is a bit of a culture shock for me...

Even though this is my very first points league, these settings seem slightly off to me. There seems to be a lot of weight on "Cycles" and Perfect Games, but since both are rare, maybe I'm wrong. Strikeouts seem high as well, 2.5 per K? I could see high K/9 Pitchers holding immaculate value here.

Whatya guys think? What could I exploit to have an advantage and win this league? Thanks!

LEAGUE CATEGORIES. FOLLOWED BY THE POINTS THEY GIVE YOU....

Batters Stat Category

Runs (R) 1.5
Singles (1B) 1
Doubles (2B) 2.5
Triples (3B) 5
Home Runs (HR) 4
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1.5
Stolen Bases (SB) 3
Walks (BB) 1
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 1
Strikeouts (K) -1.5
Errors (E) -2.5
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 50
Grand Slam Home Runs (SLAM) 20

Pitchers Stat Category

Innings Pitched (IP) 1
Wins (W) 10
Losses (L) -5
Complete Games (CG) 5
Shutouts (SHO) 10
Saves (SV) 7.5
Hits (H) -.5
Earned Runs (ER) -2
Walks (BB) -.5
Strikeouts (K) 2.5
Holds (HLD) 5
No Hitters (NH) 20
Perfect Games (PG) 50
Quality Starts (QS) 3
Blown Saves (BSV) -2

Those are the Cats and Points... Whats your advice?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Points League Strategy....

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:14 am

The best way to check league settings is to put those values into an online calculator that ranks the players.

I agree that K's are too high at 2.5. My league 1 pt for K's with similar values for other stats.

The lottery stats (PG, CYC, GSHR, NH) are also very high. It's okay to give 50 pts for a PG but a PG with those settings it will be at least 125 pts because it's also a NH, SHO, CG, W, 9 IP and zero negative stats. They don't happen very often but plan on losing if it happens against you.

From my experience in pts leagues dominant pitchers win championships. this will be even more true with +2.5 for K's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Metropolitans » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 am

kab21 wrote:The best way to check league settings is to put those values into an online calculator that ranks the players.

I agree that K's are too high at 2.5. My league 1 pt for K's with similar values for other stats.

The lottery stats (PG, CYC, GSHR, NH) are also very high. It's okay to give 50 pts for a PG but a PG with those settings it will be at least 125 pts because it's also a NH, SHO, CG, W, 9 IP and zero negative stats. They don't happen very often but plan on losing if it happens against you.

From my experience in pts leagues dominant pitchers win championships. this will be even more true with +2.5 for K's.

thanks for the advice! hate to be a pest, but what online calculator do you find most effective for calculating fantasy baseball stats?

my strategy was definitely gonna be to target stud SPs early and capitalize on high Strikeout guys where I can, but to be frank, ive always been a sucker for a Starting Pitcher with a K/9 north of 9.00 so this isn't too much of a stretch for me.

But hitting wise, I cant seem to see a stat that's exploitable..... Then again this is my first points league so its possible that I wouldn't recognize an 'exploitable' angle if it were lookin right back at me.

Could anyone provide me an idea of what the "Average Points Leagues" Settings are?? That would atleast give me a look into what standard scoring is supposed to be like. I looked over at ESPNs and theirs was fairly bland and not very informative. Any help would be appreciated!
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:33 pm

My cbs league has players rankings based on their projections (terrible) and previous seasons to get an idea how valuable players are. Note - you can't directly compare hitters and pitchers against each other.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metropolitans » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:50 am

would you guys mind suggesting some good sites to apply these settings to? I don't know any particular sites that I can apply these league settings/scoring to lastyrs stats and get an accurate ranking....

any help would be greatly appreciated! im gonna do some research now of course but just incase, inbox me if u cant post it here, thanks!
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Metropolitans » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 am

Metropolitans wrote:Batters Stat Category

Runs (R) 1.5
Singles (1B) 1
Doubles (2B) 2.5
Triples (3B) 5
Home Runs (HR) 4
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1.5
Stolen Bases (SB) 3
Walks (BB) 1
Hit By Pitch (HBP) 1
Strikeouts (K) -1.5
Errors (E) -2.5
Hitting for the Cycle (CYC) 50
Grand Slam Home Runs (SLAM) 20

Pitchers Stat Category

Innings Pitched (IP) 1
Wins (W) 10
Losses (L) -5
Complete Games (CG) 5
Shutouts (SHO) 10
Saves (SV) 7.5
Hits (H) -.5
Earned Runs (ER) -2
Walks (BB) -.5
Strikeouts (K) 2.5
Holds (HLD) 5
No Hitters (NH) 20
Perfect Games (PG) 50
Quality Starts (QS) 3
Blown Saves (BSV) -2

after browsing other h2h points leagues, I noticed that the "lottery stats" (perfect games, no hitters, cycles,etc.) stats are very high but those r obviously random and unpredictable.

the "regular stats" that seem to be high HEAVILY favor pitching. Strikeouts @ 2.5 per K is insanely high and 7.5 per Save is also very high. im thinking of loading up on really high K pitchers, and then also making sure I lock down 4 very good closers, hopefully with very high K-rates. this strategy focusing so closely on Pitching is going to hurt my offense, no doubt, but Stolen Bases do seem higher than usual @ 3pts per SB, plus the 5 per triple is a nice bonus (the 5 pts on a triple is the highest pts a regular hitting stat can get, outside of the "lottery stats", it even trumps a HR @ 4pts).... So my strategy will definitely be dictated around these facts. I don't want to "overthink" these settings, but I also want to take advantage of them.

...... I believe I have found the stats that're "Exploitable", Whatsayou Cafe???
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

Metropolitans wrote:would you guys mind suggesting some good sites to apply these settings to? I don't know any particular sites that I can apply these league settings/scoring to lastyrs stats and get an accurate ranking....

any help would be greatly appreciated! im gonna do some research now of course but just incase, inbox me if u cant post it here, thanks!

I would be shocked if your site doesn't have players ranking using last year's stats and your league settings.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:01 pm

Just threw a few names in Excel and calculated. I didn't put in CYC or SLAM for hitters. I didn't put in No Hitters or Perfect Games for pitchers.

Verlander 814.5 (High K guys are far and away the best players in this system)
Price 757.5
Kershaw 755.0
Shields 669.5
MCAB 667.5
Trout 665.5 (Strike outs are killer in this system...Trout would have beat MCAB by a mile if it wasn't for those 40 extra Ks )
Braun 656.0
Kimbrel 652.5 (Closer suck, unless your name is Kimbrel)
Cueto 605.0 (Low K guys are quite a step down from the higher K guys)
Weaver 603.0
Reyes 589.0 (Guys who hit triples and don't strike out are very nice. If he didn't have 19 errors he would have been another 40pts higher...those middle infielders with a lot of errors take a hit, but they are still good scorers)
Pujols 567.5 (Pujols and ARAM are good scorers here..they fill up the score box but don't strike out much)
Aramis 565.0 (Pujols and ARAM are good scorers here..they fill up the score box but don't strike out much)
Fielder 546.5
Lee 541.0 (Lack of wins and no CG or Shut hurts...I figure this will change this year though)
Rollins 527.0
Motte 526.0
Prado 525.0
Pagan 518.5
Hamilton 518.0 (High strike out guys really get hit)
Kinsler 516.5
Posey 507.0
Zobrist 495.0
Mauer 492.5
Jim Johnson 490.0
Harrison 480.0
Scutero 477.5
Kipnis 467.5
Bourn 465.0
Jeter 456.5
Crisp 446.0
Bruce 439.0
Granderson 434.5 (High strike out guys suck)
Revere 414.5
BJ Upton 393.0
Alcides 379.5
D Robertson 336.0
Dunn 309.0
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby apz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:44 pm

How many teams and how many RP are you required to have? In my points league you have to start 4 RP so closers are always valuable.
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 32)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers