DRAFTING STRATEGY: Based on low/odd stat categories - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DRAFTING STRATEGY: Based on low/odd stat categories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DRAFTING STRATEGY: Based on low/odd stat categories

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Only 6 Team Head 2 Head League.

So my league cut wayyyyy back their total stat categories and it looks like i can abuse it(maybe).

These are the only stat categories:

Batters:
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, CYC, SLAM

Pitchers:
IP, W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, NH, PG

So i was thinking. Based on Pitching, there is no Losses or Hits, so you could load up on Starting Pitchers and win IP, W, K every week and ERA/Whip would be 50/50. There is no use for having a closure win you only the saves category off 3 to 4 innings a week when you an instead have a starting pitcher put up hopefully 7 and maybe a 2nd start.

Call me crazy, but do you think it would be best to load up on all hitters mostly(1 or 2 bench hitters max), not draft or have any relief pitchers and then fill the rest of my roster with all Starting Pitchers from late rounds or off WW?

How would you guys abuse this setup come draft day?
Alkaholik
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: DRAFTING STRATEGY: Based on low/odd stat categories

Postby bayside » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:55 pm

I would abuse the league by only targetting players who have previously led the league in grandslams.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 190)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:03 pm

First off. I wouldn't even calculate CYC, SLAM, SHO, NH, PG. Especially in a head to head, those just aren't going to matter on a week to week basis. I might even throw CG out of your overall projections in a H2H. The thing that sucks about those stats is that one pitcher throws a perfect game while you're in the playoffs and you're toast. Either way, you can't count on them or factor them into any projection. You're looking at this then:

Batters:
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG,

Pitchers:
IP, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

So, I agree with you that punting saves is a very good strategy. I don't agree with loading up on bats and ignoring starters until the end only because your league counts hits and BB and there are a lot of value picks that are going to be around with those categories. Plug the above categories into a projection tool (http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=453587) and you'll see what I mean. For the most part pitching projections seem to be standard across the board. If you really feel you can abuse the formula on unsuspecting owners, your best bet is exploiting the offensive categories.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Alkaholik » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 pm

jfg wrote:First off. I wouldn't even calculate CYC, SLAM, SHO, NH, PG. Especially in a head to head, those just aren't going to matter on a week to week basis. I might even throw CG out of your overall projections in a H2H. The thing that sucks about those stats is that one pitcher throws a perfect game while you're in the playoffs and you're toast. Either way, you can't count on them or factor them into any projection. You're looking at this then:

Batters:
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG,

Pitchers:
IP, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

So, I agree with you that punting saves is a very good strategy. I don't agree with loading up on bats and ignoring starters until the end only because your league counts hits and BB and there are a lot of value picks that are going to be around with those categories. Plug the above categories into a projection tool (http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=453587) and you'll see what I mean. For the most part pitching projections seem to be standard across the board. If you really feel you can abuse the formula on unsuspecting owners, your best bet is exploiting the offensive categories.

Great post! ok, so i think i will go into the draft with someone of the same mindset for SP and Batters, but load up on more bench SP than hitters to get more starts per week and forget about RP. Thanks
Alkaholik
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:56 pm

I don't know if I'd necessarily do that. I'd get talented workhorses. Remember that punting saves also means that you don't have their ratios so you're going to have to make that up somewhere. If anything I'd draft some setup men for your bench to help with the ratios. Streaming pitchers is only going to make you .500 in the pitching categories on most weeks. That's not good enough to punt a stat.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Really not trying to sound mean here but well I am going to sound mean.

Find a new league that is so horrible.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:49 am

jfg wrote:So, I agree with you that punting saves is a very good strategy. I don't agree with loading up on bats and ignoring starters until the end only because your league counts hits and BB and there are a lot of value picks that are going to be around with those categories. Plug the above categories into a projection tool (http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=453587) and you'll see what I mean. For the most part pitching projections seem to be standard across the board. If you really feel you can abuse the formula on unsuspecting owners, your best bet is exploiting the offensive categories.

So i ran all my league settings through that wonderful tool and it came back with what looks like pitching dominating over the batters:http://imgur.com/zVDFsEl
Alkaholik
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Izenhart » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:56 am

Alkaholik wrote:So i ran all my league settings through that wonderful tool and it came back with what looks like pitching dominating over the batters:http://imgur.com/zVDFsEl

It has Doug Fister over Andrew McCutchen :-D

I think pitching heavy would be a fun thing to try in that league.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 531)

Postby Alkaholik » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 am

Izenhart wrote:
Alkaholik wrote:So i ran all my league settings through that wonderful tool and it came back with what looks like pitching dominating over the batters:http://imgur.com/zVDFsEl

It has Doug Fister over Andrew McCutchen :-D

I think pitching heavy would be a fun thing to try in that league.

To me this league is a joke or insult to Fantasy Baseball or fantasy games in general, but it is very competitive and $$ on the line so screw it, going in head first with starting pitching on this.
Alkaholik
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:15 pm

Just remember if you add all those categories with equal weight, pitchers get elevated because of 1-2 shutouts/complete games. Non-power hitters get pushed down because they won't hit a grand slam. In the long run, none of those stats will matter. They might gain you 4-5 wins over a long season.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers