How crazy would I be to take Kemp #3? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

How crazy would I be to take Kemp #3?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How crazy would I be to take Kemp #3?

Postby Ehlana » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Assuming Trout and Braun go 1/2 in some order. I've been doing some mock drafts the last week and I like value in drafting Zimmerman in the 4th (or later) or Sandoval in the sixth or seventh round.

It's a H2H league, which somewhat devalues steals I think (Cabrera's weakness) and the categories are H, R, RBI, Steals, TB, and OPS. The only difference between the two imo is in steals and position, and I'm not sure that Kemp is going to steal all that many bases anyway. It is a keeper league, and Kemp is a year younger, but that's not really a big deal.

Given that both 3rd base and OF are fairly deep, it may not really matter and thus I'm probably better off with the safer, more consistent Cabrera. But Kemp is tempting. Of course, if Cabrera goes in the first two picks I'll happily take Braun or Trout, whichever is left.
(\ _ /)
(='.'=)
(")_(")*
Ehlana
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How crazy would I be to take Kemp #3?

Postby Kimbos Beard » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm

I agree with you about the position problem taking MCab creates. Personally, I see Longoria available at the end of the second round and David Wright/Beltre available in the third round as having good value.

That being said, I would still take Cabrera. He's the most consistent player in the game and I don't think passing on him because you might want Zimmerman later is a reason to take Kemp.

Give me Cabrera and then play around with some mocks to see how you can build a team you like.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby UrbanatorNation » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Kimbos Beard wrote:I would still take Cabrera. He's the most consistent player in the game and I don't think passing on him because you might want Zimmerman later is a reason to take Kemp.

I have to agree. I would also rather have Longoria/Wright/Beltre over Zimmerman. Cabrera is going to rake in 5 out of the 6 categories. If we knew Kemp was going to get back to stealing 25-30 then maybe I'd feel different, but not sure he will.

Hope that helps!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=456002
UrbanatorNation
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby Fenris-77 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:32 pm

If you can get Cabrera at 3 you're already bathing in tiger blood, so no worries. Kemp over Cabrera would be madness. :-S
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby fsbarren » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:59 pm

I would definitely take Cabrera and if you see another 3B you like grab him as well.

If you still want and if your team allows, you can always trade Cabrera if you really, really want and max out your return value (maybe a Kemp PLUS someone else).

I think Miggy, Trout and Braun are the consensus top three for a reason, and unless you league is structured in such a way as to mitigate their strengths or if you simply have reservations (healthy, consistency, team changes, etc.) that you roll with those three guys at the top three and then go from there. Everyone will want Miggy if he's up for trade and you can see what comes in, especially if one of those guys owns Kemp.

Good luck.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)

Postby lambo1203 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah I would take Miggy. In my league, I took him #1 and still ended up with Evan and Wright as my next two picks because of them being best available...it's never a bad thing to be incredibly strong at one position. Also, I've done a few mocks where I decided against taking Miggy to wait on another 3B and in most of those, I've been stuck with horrible 3B options or having to reach for someone I wanted 2-3 rounds early, which is wasting a player's value.
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)

Postby Nighttrain » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:02 pm

I would strongly advise against passing on Miggy at 3 for kemp.. With your first pick you want consistency and miggy is the epitome of that. When I saw this post I thought it would be Kemp over trout not miggy.

Help here please:
viewtopic.php?t=456033
Nighttrain
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions