MVP baseball '04, best sports game ever - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

MVP baseball '04, best sports game ever

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:03 pm

I really like World Series baseball(now ESPN Baseball), but it doesn't come out until late april. MVP is good, but has some shortcomings in the franchise mode(which is all I play).
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:43 pm

mvp is the sickest sports game i've ever played. the lefty hr thing pisses me off though. i bought the game the very day it came out and have only hit 2 hrs with lefties. giambi once and posada once. even in yankee stadium i would crack 3 hrs a game with arod sometimes but everytime i try to with giambi i get a dinky pop up. other than that this game has the best gameplay and graphics all around.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:18 pm

It's awesome........I've played about 100 games of a season so far, with only a dozen or so being simmed. On pro it's pretty easy. I'm on a 21 game win streak. I'm awesome at pitching, and with Prior, it's imposible to get a hit off me. I threw a perfect game a couple days ago. Time to increase the difficulty for next season....

The AAA and AA don't sound that interesting since the players usually suck and it's boring to play the games, but it's actually one of the best parts of the game. Having minor leaguers maturing into MLB players is cool. And unlike other people who have said the computer gets too many triples, I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe it's because I have Beltran in center and he's one of the best defensively, but they're lucky if they get a double even if it goes to the wall. And I havn't changed the sliders at all.

Note to people who want to make it harder without changing the difficulty level: change the pitch speed slider all the way to the max (+50) and THEN try to hit. The pitches seem as fast as real life. And it sucks if you face a knuckleballer; you'll be lucky to score a run. As bad as Steve Sparks is, I've faced him twice and he's by far the hardest pitcher to hit off of.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby davus » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:46 pm

LBJackal wrote:And unlike other people who have said the computer gets too many triples, I don't know what you're talking about. Maybe it's because I have Beltran in center and he's one of the best defensively, but they're lucky if they get a double even if it goes to the wall. And I havn't changed the sliders at all.

BS!

Everybody on the internet who's played the game complains of the same thing. Even slow guys will get triples if it get's past your outfielder on the default slider settings...and you say they barely can get a double off of you?

Sorry, that is complete BS. :-t
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lithman » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:50 pm

i'm a world series baseball fan. i hate EA games. i'll wait till the espn baseball comes out so i can play it online for my xbox. ea doesnt make online games.
Lithman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:02 pm

the first time i faced wakefield in fenway i destroyed him and he was replaced in the 4th inning. however every time since he dominates me. i hate facing knuckleballs and circle changes.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davus » Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:52 pm

Lithman wrote:i'm a world series baseball fan. i hate EA games. i'll wait till the espn baseball comes out so i can play it online for my xbox. ea doesnt make online games.

Actually they do, just not for MS's system.
davus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby twentysix » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:19 pm

I have MVP. It's pretty good. I don't see a problem with K'ing the computer though. It's not that difficult unless they're a real good contact hitter or your pitcher's tired.
The soundtrack is TERRIBLE, as is almost every EA soundtrack.
The announcers are real bad as well, saying things like "that's going to split the outfielders and get up the gap" then you stroll underneath it and catch it easily. The computer fielders do make a ton of diving catches too, but that's not that big a deal. There's also glitches with the fielding. For example, a guy makes a sliding "catch" for an out, then they show the replay and it clearly bounces off the ground, then into his glove.
Hitting definitely takes getting used to. I just bumped it up to All-Star, and my runs per game have taken a dive. I hardly ever walk too, but that's just because I try to hit almost every pitch. I think I'll have to change that strategy now though.

The graphics are real good though, and the player movement is real fluid. All the unlockables are really cool too. I'd give it a B+ overall.

All in all, High Heat is by far the best franchise IMO, but I haven't heard anything about it this year. Someone posted that Microsoft bought out 3DO. Whoever owns it, they need to get on the ball and pump out a new High Heat soon.
Yanks in '08!
twentysix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bucsfan04 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:50 pm

I'm waiting for ESPN Major League baseball to come out before I by a game.
bucsfan04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby sigtaulefty » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:20 pm

I had to do some creative accounting to trade Soriano for A-rod, but now that I've got the current Yankees (and after ripping off some of Detroits young AAA pitching prospects by trading Drew Henson }:-) ) I'm riding high in first place after 30 games. Sitting at 26-4, Derek Jeter is leading the league in HR with 23 - no typo. His long shot of the year cleared 520 at Yankee Stadium. I'm wondering if that's a record.

I can't do the home run derby very well, but I've got a steroid-free (I think) Derek Jeter hitting 500+ foot shots. It's on pro level too.

Computer does get a lot of triples, but Bernie's not the fastest guy and he's my CF
[b]"I'd like the thank the good lord for making me a Yankee"[/b] - Joe DiMaggio
sigtaulefty
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk