100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Would You Veto This?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Would You Veto This?

Postby wbg » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
kab21 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:I'd veto because how much worth is there in a 2nd round pick in this league? Looks like a top 25 player and 2 top 5 prospects for a pick w/ minimal value, a top 20ish starter, and a outfielder getting drafted in the 150s. The Sale side clearly loses in both today and tomorrow aspects.

I'm not sure I like your league where trades just get vetoed. Veto power should be for trades that can really damage a league or there is obvious collusion.

What if the Reyes owner wants to dump because he thinks Reyes is going to fall apart in the next year or two. He ended up with 24 yr old near ace and a solid 27 yr old OF'er. The prospects could make this deal look terrible (or great) in a couple of years.

As a comparison everyone thought I lost a big trade that involved can't miss prospects several years ago (probably after '09). I got Votto (before breakout) and DHolland for Billingsley (when he was good), JMontero and Drabek. This was a fairer deal but everyone obsessed about how great Montero was going to be while Votto was only going to be very good. They also thought I downgraded significantly at pitcher but I had wanted to pawn Billingsley off for some time. It's possible that this owner wants to do the same with Reyes. It's likely that this owner could have done better especially since he tossed 2 stud prospects into the deal but Sale is a young stud pitcher and those are really hard to find in deeper dynasties. Reddick obviously won't repeat last year but he's a pretty solid hitter imo and fairly young.

I haven't actually voted to veto a trade since like 2005. A basketball cafe league is having a heated discussion about doing just that right now and I'm intentionally staying out of it. Your trade is pretty fair if it's 2008 - Billingsley was 24 and racking up 200 k's per year. Votto wasn't a top 25 guy like Reyes yet, the prospects probably wash out at that point. Do you think it would really take two top 5 prospects with Reyes to unload him for Chris Sale? I don't see the argument from a guy trying to unload Reyes to get younger then trades away two of the very best prospects in the game along with him to do it.

I guess what you are saying is if the trade doesn't meet your idea of 'fairness', it should be veto'ed.

I would NEVER play in a league with veto powers, this guy is exactly why.
wbg
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner