Would You Veto This? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Would You Veto This?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Would You Veto This?

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:32 pm

2nd round pick means a lesser tiered prospect - a la Austin Hedges, James Paxton, Hiroyuki Nakajima, Jake Marisnick, Alex Meyer, Jarred Cosart or a player that ranks on Yahoo starting around 200.

I did fail to mention how large the playing rosters are: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL. So the league isn't Top player driven in the least. I've fared very well the last four years thanks to all around contributions from my depth: two 2nds, a 3rd and 4th.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Oh and thanks again for all your comments! ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:I'd veto because how much worth is there in a 2nd round pick in this league? Looks like a top 25 player and 2 top 5 prospects for a pick w/ minimal value, a top 20ish starter, and a outfielder getting drafted in the 150s. The Sale side clearly loses in both today and tomorrow aspects.

I'm not sure I like your league where trades just get vetoed. Veto power should be for trades that can really damage a league or there is obvious collusion.

What if the Reyes owner wants to dump because he thinks Reyes is going to fall apart in the next year or two. He ended up with 24 yr old near ace and a solid 27 yr old OF'er. The prospects could make this deal look terrible (or great) in a couple of years.

As a comparison everyone thought I lost a big trade that involved can't miss prospects several years ago (probably after '09). I got Votto (before breakout) and DHolland for Billingsley (when he was good), JMontero and Drabek. This was a fairer deal but everyone obsessed about how great Montero was going to be while Votto was only going to be very good. They also thought I downgraded significantly at pitcher but I had wanted to pawn Billingsley off for some time. It's possible that this owner wants to do the same with Reyes. It's likely that this owner could have done better especially since he tossed 2 stud prospects into the deal but Sale is a young stud pitcher and those are really hard to find in deeper dynasties. Reddick obviously won't repeat last year but he's a pretty solid hitter imo and fairly young.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:55 pm

silentjim wrote:I'm in this league and I'll chime in here that the Reyes team was the one who proposed the trade. ;-D

I don't see it as vetoable either, though I do prefer the Reyes side myself.

Oddly enough in the redraft almost everyone goes for young talent that are a few years from being viable. So there's quite a bit of proven veterans available for positional needs and still a few decent prospects, but not a ton.

Hehe, yeah, since most have chimed in, and I didn't want it to sway your opinions, the guy trading away Reyes/Taveras/Miller proposed the deal. After conferring with others, he is now asking the league to veto the deal - claiming he wasn't thinking straight due to alcohol.

Good example above Kab21. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:I'd veto because how much worth is there in a 2nd round pick in this league? Looks like a top 25 player and 2 top 5 prospects for a pick w/ minimal value, a top 20ish starter, and a outfielder getting drafted in the 150s. The Sale side clearly loses in both today and tomorrow aspects.

:-t
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby PowerOwl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:32 pm

In this league too and for the sake of full disclosure:

The owner that proposed the trade is new to the league this year, and to dynasty leagues in general. He also is taking over for a team who's owner had to be booted for running it into the ground.

Given all of this, the fact that the season hasn't even started yet, and the claim of drunk trading, he has asked for the trade to be cancelled/vetoed.

A number of league members are on board to give a mulligan of sorts on this one occasion to a new league member. Others are not.
PowerOwl
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Element » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:09 pm

It's pretty bad, but I've seen a lot worse. This is not vetoable unless collusion is suspected.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Element wrote:It's pretty bad, but I've seen a lot worse. This is not vetoable unless collusion is suspected.

x2
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby converge241 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm

to the person who talked about reyes potentially crashing and burning, maybe hes afraid of that turf in Toronto to boot ;)

Or rather that's maybe what he was thinking based on the new data.

If the new guy has remorse/second thoughts to me its between he and the other trader to decide only.

if you give this guy a mulligan cause he overshot value (or undershot) you're protecting players from themselves. if they were new they should have asked about value etc before shooting off trades.

At most you could offer to "plead his case" and ask the other owner but dont think you can force this or veto it. There's risk for bad feelings and problems any way you go but its best to just stick with the two folks and what they did and want to do going forward rather than make it a league wide thing

just my .02, good luck it sounds like it may cause some headaches
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:26 pm

I agree that this is not vetoable, but if the guy trading away Reyes wants to ask the other owner for a reversal, I would allow that. This issue is between those two players, not the entire league. The entire league should only be involved in collusion suspected trades.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner