Drafting SB's..Helpful or Hurtful? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting SB's..Helpful or Hurtful?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Drafting SB's..Helpful or Hurtful?

Postby jeffmerk » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Ender wrote:
interchange wrote:I disagree with waiting til the later part of the draft to get "cheap steals". You want the guy who will put up great steals and solid average and elite runs. You don't want the guy with 75 runs and 50 rbi from the bottom of the lineup just cause he swipes bags.

But that isn't what cheap steals are. You can get Bourn early who hits .280 with 100 R and 55 RBi or you can get Span incredibly late who hits .280 with 100 R and 55 RBI. The only difference is that Bourn is 50 steals and Span is 20 steals. There are tons of leadoff hitters available late in drafts. I would never draft a #8 hitter unless I was desperate, I'm not talking about waiting on say Segura or something. If you sprinkle in 10-20 steals on most players and fall a little short there are plenty of options for late SB guys. There is really never a reason to take a Bourn type player.

If Span goes incredibly late, the draft pool must be awfully small. I refused to overpay for SBs in most of my AL or NL only drafts last year and thus I didn't get many.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby timgair » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Bostonboy wrote:Of course you're better off drafting players that can help you in several areas. Speed is always available either later in the draft and/or on waivers. Remember that while speed is important, power helps in more ways. Unless a player is going to steal home, runs aren't guaranteed from steals guys. Power, though, produces rbi's and runs.

I try to get my stolen bases from my middle infielders who also hit for average. You don't want a guy like Everth Cabrera who is going to kill your average. I think getting Jose Reyes & Jose Altuve would be a great start to making sure you don't suffer in that category. If you can get at least one of these two along with an outfielder like Jacoby Ellsbury it's a good start. You may not win the category, but you certainly won't lose it every time either.
timgair
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 pm

If Span goes incredibly late, the draft pool must be awfully small.

I've done 3 drafts with good players from the cafe.

#1 is a 12 team NFBC style roster keeper league and he went for $1
#2 is a 14 team NFBC style though with only 1 C and only 4 OF and he went in round 17
#3 is a 14 team NFBC style with no bench and he went in round 18

You can get span pretty darn late in drafts. You can get Crisp relatively late. You can get Pierre pretty late. Marte is late. You will have guys like Bonifacio, Gordon, maybe Gose when Rasmus sucks etc move into bigger roles. Hamilton will come up, some other speed guys will come up etc. In a daily roto league especially a guy like Bourn is pretty worthless where he is going. Speed can be gotten much later.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:18 am

Ender wrote:

#2 is a 14 team NFBC style though with only 1 C and only 4 OF and he went in round 17

You can get span pretty darn late in drafts. You can get Crisp relatively late. You can get Pierre pretty late. Marte is late. You will have guys like Bonifacio, Gordon, maybe Gose when Rasmus sucks etc move into bigger roles. Hamilton will come up, some other speed guys will come up etc. In a daily roto league especially a guy like Bourn is pretty worthless where he is going. Speed can be gotten much later.

I agree with this. Speed is plentiful this year IMO.
Especially in the OF. There is so much speed in the OF this year and not much power that I've been jumping on power first infielders and filling in SB later with OF. Ender mentions some good SB later in the draft. I'll add Aoki, Eaton, Gardner, De Aza, Revere, Pagan, and Ichiro are all going after the 10th round. Not late but 30+ SB in the middle of the draft. I'll pass on Bourne in the 5th or 6th.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby stevethumb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:32 am

Ender wrote:
interchange wrote:I disagree with waiting til the later part of the draft to get "cheap steals". You want the guy who will put up great steals and solid average and elite runs. You don't want the guy with 75 runs and 50 rbi from the bottom of the lineup just cause he swipes bags.

But that isn't what cheap steals are. You can get Bourn early who hits .280 with 100 R and 55 RBi or you can get Span incredibly late who hits .280 with 100 R and 55 RBI. The only difference is that Bourn is 50 steals and Span is 20 steals. There are tons of leadoff hitters available late in drafts. I would never draft a #8 hitter unless I was desperate, I'm not talking about waiting on say Segura or something. If you sprinkle in 10-20 steals on most players and fall a little short there are plenty of options for late SB guys. There is really never a reason to take a Bourn type player.

HUH !?

dspan's last 3 years
runs---85-40-71
SB-----26-8-17
BA----.264-.253-.283
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 am

stevethumb wrote:
HUH !?

dspan's last 3 years
runs---85-40-71
SB-----26-8-17
BA----.264-.253-.283

yes he got hurt and missed half of 2011 and the start of 2012 and he played for the Twins and didn't even lead off every day. Leading off every day for the Nats with his OBP skills will result in 90 R. He will steal 25 bases if healthy. The AVG was also suppressed by the concussion, look at his peripherals and career stats, he is a .280 hitter.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

If I'm drafting SB's early then it isn't guys like Bourn but rather 20/20 guys or one of the top rd'ers like vintage Reyes/Crawford that can still get 15 HR's and better all around numbers to go with the SB's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 pm

jtsandwich wrote:Sb's are a necessary evil in fantasy baseball, how you go about acquiring it is the key. I have never had Ichiro, because he cost too much, I look for BA guys with runs that steal and run under the radar. Every year I think Coco runs cheap for some reason. This year I still like Coco as well as Maybin (very cheap),m Eaton leading off for AZ should be a bit undervalued in my opinion. I also like to call up the Bourne's and BJ's that all know and will overpay early for the SB's.

Don't know that Bourn and BJ Upton should be classed together. Upton still contributes in power, and he'll be hitting in good spot for rbi. I always liked getting him, as long as you can weather the hit in avg.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Postby jeffmerk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Ender wrote:

I consider a 14 team mixed league a small draft pool but I guess I'm a dinosaur. Hopefully the owners that play this watered down, fantasy football player friendly version of the game will eventually want to try something more challenging.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 63)

Postby J35J » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:25 pm

jeffmerk wrote:
Ender wrote:

I consider a 14 team mixed league a small draft pool but I guess I'm a dinosaur. Hopefully the owners that play this watered down, fantasy football player friendly version of the game will eventually want to try something more challenging.

LOL
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers