Drafting SB's..Helpful or Hurtful? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting SB's..Helpful or Hurtful?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting SB's..Helpful or Hurtful?

Postby bouncepass » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Is it a detriment to a fantasy team to have players like MICHAEL BOURN and BEN REVERE, in your starting lineup because they supply very little in homeruns and RBIs?? Are you better off drafting more well rounded players and picking up those pure speed guys later in the season as you need them?
bouncepass
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drafting SB's..Helpful or Hurtful?

Postby Bostonboy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:33 pm

Of course you're better off drafting players that can help you in several areas. Speed is always available either later in the draft and/or on waivers. Remember that while speed is important, power helps in more ways. Unless a player is going to steal home, runs aren't guaranteed from steals guys. Power, though, produces rbi's and runs.
Bostonboy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jtsandwich » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Sb's are a necessary evil in fantasy baseball, how you go about acquiring it is the key. I have never had Ichiro, because he cost too much, I look for BA guys with runs that steal and run under the radar. Every year I think Coco runs cheap for some reason. This year I still like Coco as well as Maybin (very cheap),m Eaton leading off for AZ should be a bit undervalued in my opinion. I also like to call up the Bourne's and BJ's that all know and will overpay early for the SB's.
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 104)

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:27 pm

The OF is full of mid-late round 20ish+ SB guys. Get your good 5 tool guys or 20-20 type guys early and if you are still hurting for a little more speed then you'll have plenty to choose from later in the draft.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 am

Yes pure SB guys who are leadoff hitters are a bad investment. Not only do they actively hurt you in 2 or even 3 categories, SB are really easy to get late in the draft. You also create a big issue for your team if they happen to get injured since having so much of your SB tied up into one player is really hard to recover from.

It is really easy to add a couple guys like Denard Span late in your draft to make up SB and those guys tend to be more 8 to 10 HR types instead of 0 to 4 types.

I personally strongly try to avoid taking any leadoff hitters in the first half of the draft. You want as many 2 3 4 5 hitters as you can get, leadoff types are what I flesh out last since there are tons of cheap ones available.
Last edited by Ender on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:49 am

Ideally you want well rounder guys who all chip in some SB. I wouldn't take a speed only guy unless you were really comfortable with your HR and RBI numbers and really needed the SB.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby jeffmerk » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:32 am

Take what the draft gives you, as far as bang for the buck, and if you wind up with a surplus in another category, trade for SBs during the season
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 86)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm

jeffmerk wrote:Take what the draft gives you, as far as bang for the buck, and if you wind up with a surplus in another category, trade for SBs during the season

Good advice as long as you understand that SB are devalued early in the draft. HR are scarce, SB simply are not. To get middle of the order power hitters that don't kill your AVG you have to get them early, they aren't around late. You can easily get SB late in the draft. The value of a SB increases as the draft goes on.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby interchange » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:33 pm

I disagree with waiting til the later part of the draft to get "cheap steals". You want the guy who will put up great steals and solid average and elite runs. You don't want the guy with 75 runs and 50 rbi from the bottom of the lineup just cause he swipes bags.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:46 pm

interchange wrote:I disagree with waiting til the later part of the draft to get "cheap steals". You want the guy who will put up great steals and solid average and elite runs. You don't want the guy with 75 runs and 50 rbi from the bottom of the lineup just cause he swipes bags.

But that isn't what cheap steals are. You can get Bourn early who hits .280 with 100 R and 55 RBi or you can get Span incredibly late who hits .280 with 100 R and 55 RBI. The only difference is that Bourn is 50 steals and Span is 20 steals. There are tons of leadoff hitters available late in drafts. I would never draft a #8 hitter unless I was desperate, I'm not talking about waiting on say Segura or something. If you sprinkle in 10-20 steals on most players and fall a little short there are plenty of options for late SB guys. There is really never a reason to take a Bourn type player.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers