$1 SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

$1 SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: $1 SP

Postby OaktownSteve » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:53 pm

I like Eovaldi, Harrell and Volquez as true $1 fliers.
OaktownSteve
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:56 pm

I like Erasmo Ramirez a lot if you can sneak him in for $1. He has a solid 92-94 mph fb with some tail, a solid slider/change combo, great control, and pitches at Safeco. What's not to like? Besides the complete lack of a track record and the fences moving in ~5 feet at Safeco.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:33 pm

silverZ wrote:I like Erasmo Ramirez a lot if you can sneak him in for $1. He has a solid 92-94 mph fb with some tail, a solid slider/change combo, great control, and pitches at Safeco. What's not to like? Besides the complete lack of a track record and the fences moving in ~5 feet at Safeco.

There was some speculation today that Ramirez could be left out of the rotation, and even sent to AAA, here (h/t rotoworld):

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/ ... class-aaa/

So, if I had to handicap things right now, today, based on what I’ve seen, I’d say Beavan and Garland get the nod.

I'm very skeptical, and I still like Ramirez as a late pick. But it seems worth mentioning.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:49 pm

I'm against starting a proven guy who had a K/9 under 7 in the minors, not sure I'd trust an unproven one like Ramirez. Seems so short on the upside.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Ender wrote:I'm against starting a proven guy who had a K/9 under 7 in the minors, not sure I'd trust an unproven one like Ramirez. Seems so short on the upside.

Yeah, but we're talking cheap. A buck or a 22nd round pick doesn't require much trust. If he can sustain a k/9 of around 7, great, useful stats cheap. Otherwise, cut bait.

Granted, if you can get Estrada for $1, he's a better option. (Along with some of the other pitchers mentioned.) I just don't think that'll be very common.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 90)

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:44 pm

J. Hammel
M. Harrison
V. Worley
AJ Griffin
M. Fiers
T. Milone
S. Baker
S. Marcum
J. Teheran
B. Beachy

I don't think you are getting Cobb at $1, but if he is there, heck yes.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Tex34 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Here's one: Ervin Santana.

His career Jeckyl/Hyde patterns suggest this will be one of his "good" years. The other two times he had an ERA over 5.00, he followed it up with a 16 or 17 win season. On top of that, it's a walk year for him. If he pitches like he did in 2010, then $1 is a steal.
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby silverZ » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Ender wrote:I'm against starting a proven guy who had a K/9 under 7 in the minors, not sure I'd trust an unproven one like Ramirez. Seems so short on the upside.

He was a 90 mph guy in the minors, improved to 92.5 mph in 2012. If he can maintain that velocity I don't see why he can't maintain a 7+ k/9 ratio. I'm also in love with his walk ratio. 12 walks in 59 innings? Yes please.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby silverZ » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:59 pm

jackie hayes wrote:
silverZ wrote:I like Erasmo Ramirez a lot if you can sneak him in for $1. He has a solid 92-94 mph fb with some tail, a solid slider/change combo, great control, and pitches at Safeco. What's not to like? Besides the complete lack of a track record and the fences moving in ~5 feet at Safeco.

There was some speculation today that Ramirez could be left out of the rotation, and even sent to AAA, here (h/t rotoworld):

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/mariners/ ... class-aaa/

So, if I had to handicap things right now, today, based on what I’ve seen, I’d say Beavan and Garland get the nod.

I'm very skeptical, and I still like Ramirez as a late pick. But it seems worth mentioning.

Jon Garland is still pitching? Yeesh.
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby West » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:01 am

Very surprised no one has mentioned Cashner. He's a $1 gem and he is actually going for a dollar unlike many of the names mentioned.

There are injury concerns and he does walk a few too many batters but that is why he's a $1. Cashner had a K rate north of 10 last year in a small sample (46IP) of mostly relief appearances. He also routinely posts a GB rate north of 50%. SD loves him as their 5th starter and while he may not be good to go for opening day (had to get over some hunting accident where he cut himself on the hand with a knife in December) he should be eased into the rotation by mid April. Did I mention he throws 100 and plays half his games at Petco? Buy it now at $1...
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers