$1 SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

$1 SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: $1 SP

Postby jfg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:21 pm

A lot of guys being mentioned... Are these guys really a buck a piece? I'm not in any auctions this year but they seem to go before the very last rounds of drafts.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AHF » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

jfg wrote:A lot of guys being mentioned... Are these guys really a buck a piece? I'm not in any auctions this year but they seem to go before the very last rounds of drafts.

There are a lot of guys who go for low $$s at the end of an auction. It is hard to predict on a list of 20 potential value guys which SP will go for $3 and which will end up getting snagged for a $1 but if you look at that list of 20, there will be some of them who go there. I feel that way at catcher in 10 team leagues (I am not sure which guy will go for $1 but I am positive I will be happy spending only $1 on my catcher).
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jfg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Fair enough. Beckett Bucholtz and Fiers seemed more like $3-5 to me but I guess they all could easily end up at $1.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mzu » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:18 pm

I have seen Ian Kennedy slip to below $10 in both of my auction drafts so far. Beckett and Griffen have been $1-3 as well.
mzu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby timgair » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:59 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:What's Alex Cobb going for? I feel like he could be had cheap, and young Rays pitchers are often a really good bet.

I got him for $1 over the weekend. If he continues on the pace he's on that won't last. I'm hoping for big things out of him this year.
timgair
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby fantasyfiend » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:56 am

Ender wrote:Looking at guys who will get more than 7.5 K/9 since you mentioned Ks, plus guys who won't kill your ratios and who had peripherals so ERA shouldn't be a huge concern.

Fiers
Hammel
Cobb
Jackson
Straily
Estrada

Niemann and Gee are good names too but you have to make sure they are healthy first.

Nice list...thanks.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 am

jfg wrote:Fair enough. Beckett Bucholtz and Fiers seemed more like $3-5 to me but I guess they all could easily end up at $1.

Yeah they likely are. Estrada is more like a $6 guy in most leagues I play in. If you are looking for $1 gems you need a list about 15 long because most of them will go for more than $1. After you reach the $8 or so range on pitchers the rankings are so erratic you have no clue how much you have to pay to get a guy in any given league.

Here is how I look for these guys.

1. Has to have a K/9 over 7 and preferably over 7.5. If they can't K at least that many I'd rather just take a high upside MR.
2. Have a K/BB of at least 2. It is hard to be a good pitcher without this.
3. Have a BB/9 under 3.6.

While all of these things can be improved I'd rather not pay for someone who has to improve just to be on my radar. Players who have consolidated these basic skills already but haven't proven it long term are who I like to target.

So guys like Edison Volquez are off my radar. Zach Britton no thanks. Garrett Richards nope.

Guys like Estrada, Fiers, Collmenter, Arrieta etc are the targets.
Last edited by Ender on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Izenhart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:29 am

Shaun Marcum is highly overlooked.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Scott Baker is going to miss like 2 starts right? Seems like a good $1 flier to me.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Mike Leake won't be too bad either since there is no way Chapman is a starter long.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers