Keeper Advice - Salary Cap League (Desperate for Help) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Advice - Salary Cap League (Desperate for Help)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Advice - Salary Cap League (Desperate for Help)

Postby fsbarren » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:00 am

An owner in one of my leagues asked for help with the below email, and I knew exactly where to go...thanks for your help guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could use a 2nd opinion on my keepers in a salary cap league. The total auction amount I have is 260 with keepers (including inflation). Below I have included rules of inflation and a link to my keeper page that shows last years amount I drafted each guy.

Keepers

Each team is allowed 5 keepers, a keeper may also be referred to as a player signed to a contract. When keeping a player, one may choose to sign said player to a contract covering 1-4 years. Once a player's contract expires, the player is thrown back into the draft pool and is not eligible to be re-signed to another contract.

The different contracts to which players can be signed break down as follows:

1 year deal: $5 inflation
2 year deal: $4 inflation in year one, $7 inflation in year two
3 year deal: $3 inflation in year one, $6 inflation in year two, $10 inflation in year three
4 year deal: $3 inflation in year one, $5 inflation in year two, $9 inflation in year three, $12 inflation in year four

All inflation is based upon the initial keeper price, meaning it is not compounded.

If you sign a player to a contract, that player must be kept throughout his entire contract. If you signed a player to a four year deal, you would have to ride him out until his contract expired regardless of how awful his performance may be.

Players under contract may be dropped, but the team dropping said player will still be responsible for his salary in future years and this player will take up a keeper slot for said team until his contract expires.

A player under contract is allowed to be traded, but the team he is traded to must honor his contract

A team is not allowed to commit to more than 5 players under contract during any given year. Meaning, if I had already owned five players with multiple years left on their contracts (Or one year left during the offseason), I would not be able to trade for a player with multiple years left on his contract (one year during the offseason). The only situation in which an owner could make said trade, is a situation in which the owner possessed an amnesty and would be able to shave his keepers total to 5 for the next season. It would be legal for that owner to trade for a player with an expiring contract during the season (even if he was out of amnesties), because the team would have no obligation to that player next season.

Each team will be given an amnesty immediately after the 2013 season comes to a close. Teams will then be given an amnesty once every 2 years (in 2015, 2017, etc.). Amnesties will effectively knock a contract off the books. However, it will come at a cap hit of 20% of the players salary for each year in which he was signed.

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/clubhouse? ... sonId=2013

I can select up tp 5 but only mandate 3..My thought is

Kershaw for 4 years @ 44,46,50,53
Harper for 4 years @ 10,12,16,19
Altuve for 4 years @ 6,8,12,15
Darvish for 3 years @ 16,19,23
Gio for 2 years @ 18,21

This uses 94 of my 260 leaving 166 to fill team this season.

I think a trio of good pitching will anchor my staff, hoping to grab rp...However I need alot in slg,hr rbi if I go this way in a 6x6...
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Advice - Salary Cap League (Desperate for Help)

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:53 am

Looked like a lot to read, but a lot of it is just contract ins and outs. I wish I could see what each player went for on the league site, but I guess your friend could follow up on particular players.

I like the Altuve, Harper, Darvish and probably the Gio price. Kershaw deserves his price tag, but by going with Darvish/Gio that's two solid guys for less than the price of one. Since your friend is concerned about offense, maybe he should switch out Kershaw and get a bat to help. What are the prices for these guys?:

Brett Lawrie
Jesus Montero
Ryan Howard (if cheap)
Andre Ethier (if cheap)
Kendrys Morales (if cheap)

If Lawrie is available to be signed for a decent price I'd pick him over Kershaw.

Please take a look if you can: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=455876
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby fsbarren » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:52 am

Thanks, MashinSpuds.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fsbarren » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Bump.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions