Canada Mexico Fight - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Canada Mexico Fight

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Canada Mexico Fight

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Ender wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:It's been announced that no suspensions will be coning, either in the WBC or MLB. It's a shame that it takes something like this for the majority of US sports fans to even realize that the WBC is happening.

It has been a great WBC but this is sadly true. We just aren't into international sports. I always used to think it was because most of them like Soccer are just so terrible that nobody wants to watch them, but it is just a cultural thing I guess.

Americans love the Olympics. The 2012 Olympics was the most watched TV event in US history. I am sure the WBC would have had better ratings if it was ESPN instead of the MLB network. Most restaurants (at least the ones I frequent) just have one TV tuned to ESPN 24 hours a day.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 pm

thedude wrote:
Ender wrote:
jeffmerk wrote:It's been announced that no suspensions will be coning, either in the WBC or MLB. It's a shame that it takes something like this for the majority of US sports fans to even realize that the WBC is happening.

It has been a great WBC but this is sadly true. We just aren't into international sports. I always used to think it was because most of them like Soccer are just so terrible that nobody wants to watch them, but it is just a cultural thing I guess.

Americans love the Olympics. The 2012 Olympics was the most watched TV event in US history. I am sure the WBC would have had better ratings if it was ESPN instead of the MLB network. Most restaurants (at least the ones I frequent) just have one TV tuned to ESPN 24 hours a day.

We'll need to get our best players out there as well. While we have a decent lineup(could be even better), none of our top end starters are out there and that just makes it feel like it's not that important. We all know how important pitching is in the playoffs and this type of format is similar...if we had all our top end starters out there then we'd be the favorite pretty much every year. Until then, this will just continue to be looked at like some kind of exhibition.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:08 pm

The US team doesn't have its top starters but it has by far the best group of starters in the tournament. Venezuela had Anibal Sanchez and nothing else. DR has Edinson Volquez as its ace. PR doesn't even have an MLB starter as far as I can tell. It's difficult to say how good Cuba, Japan's and Korea's starters are but it's safe to say that none of these teams are hiding a Darvish on their roster.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:50 am

kab21 wrote:The US team doesn't have its top starters but it has by far the best group of starters in the tournament. Venezuela had Anibal Sanchez and nothing else. DR has Edinson Volquez as its ace. PR doesn't even have an MLB starter as far as I can tell. It's difficult to say how good Cuba, Japan's and Korea's starters are but it's safe to say that none of these teams are hiding a Darvish on their roster.

What does that have to do with anything? I don't care who plays for the other teams...I want to know that we care just as much as all these other teams that would almost fight each other for the chance to play for their national team. I want to know that our best of the best are out there because they'd LOVE to be out there and it means everything to them to be out there...it just doesn't though, so while I watch most any game that's on at the time and will cheer for the USA, I don't get overly excited or invested in it because I know it doesn't really mean that much to our players that we actually have the best of the best out there. Good for those that do want to be out there though, but that doesn't change the fact that they were second or third or fourth on the list of guys we as fans would like to see out there.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby toledomudhens » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:33 am

J35J wrote:
kab21 wrote:The US team doesn't have its top starters but it has by far the best group of starters in the tournament. Venezuela had Anibal Sanchez and nothing else. DR has Edinson Volquez as its ace. PR doesn't even have an MLB starter as far as I can tell. It's difficult to say how good Cuba, Japan's and Korea's starters are but it's safe to say that none of these teams are hiding a Darvish on their roster.

What does that have to do with anything? I don't care who plays for the other teams...I want to know that we care just as much as all these other teams that would almost fight each other for the chance to play for their national team. I want to know that our best of the best are out there because they'd LOVE to be out there and it means everything to them to be out there...it just doesn't though, so while I watch most any game that's on at the time and will cheer for the USA, I don't get overly excited or invested in it because I know it doesn't really mean that much to our players that we actually have the best of the best out there. Good for those that do want to be out there though, but that doesn't change the fact that they were second or third or fourth on the list of guys we as fans would like to see out there.

I just find the these baseball players of now are such babies, and make way too much $$$$ that there clubs will have nothing to do with letting there players go....I heard that verlander wanted to go but they were worried because he throws 225 plus innings a year so this would kill him...I laugh so much, You would think maybe leland would take him out a couple times when they were killing the twins, dont let him throw 15 complete games a year....I love this shit, and I agree 100 % all teams need there best out there or it just isn't the same....but i watch as many games as i can, and i will continue to do so because i cannot stand hockey and it's 12 world tournaments a year, they seem to have no problem sending all their stars to each and everyone of there tourny's...Baseball has to come up with something to make this thing REALLY HAPPEN, MLB and the people need to sit down and figure out a way to get the BEST out there every year...
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 202)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:37 am

thedude wrote:

Sure but how many watch non Olympic versions of these events? The Olympics are like the Super Bowl, they are a product of marketing as much as anything. People watch for the event, not for the sports themselves. I guess it would be nice if baseball were like that but it seems unlikely since it such a focused event and since so few of the games are of the elimination type. I would assume if the US were to win it that would spark more interest in it since that is how the American public tends to work. Having it on ESPN would certainly help as well but since it is competing against college basketball conference tournaments I doubt that happens.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:23 am

Well, I'd wager that the majority of Americans don't even have MLB Network. I had to upgrade to another package that was $20 more per month to get it.

Also, hard to get really excited for a tournament when you're best players decline to play - what does that say about how important it is? Kind of rubs off on the fans a little bit. I think more people would be interested if you had guys like Trout, Fielder, Posey,Verlander, Kershaw, etc playing. They had to get Derek Holland to play for them, there's probably close to 50 US pitchers that are better than he is.

And most importantly, baseball means a lot more to these other countries than it does to the US, we have so much other shit going on at all times that it's hard to get a big entertainment giant like the US to pay attention to an international tournament going on. Typically, smaller or less developed countries are always going to get more excited for international tournaments like this, it's just simply a much bigger deal for them than it is for us.

I think the players from a lot of these other countries are a lot more passionate about the tournament and realize how important baseball is to their life as well. You've got a lot of players that grew up in poor countries and baseball was a way to make their life better for the future, IMO US players are more likely to take everything they have for granted.

Even team US doesn't seem to be taking this tournament all that seriously, Torre put Victorino in over Stanton in a must-win game against Canada so Victorino could get some at-bats to be ready for opening day.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 pm

It's glorified spring training. Enjoy it for what it is. If managers didn't agree to get everyone at bats and have pitchers on strict pitch counts there would be even less talent coming from MLB.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 pm

silverZ wrote:It's glorified spring training. Enjoy it for what it is. If managers didn't agree to get everyone at bats and have pitchers on strict pitch counts there would be even less talent coming from MLB.

That's the other thing, the tournament is at an awful time..you have hitters still getting their timing down and pitchers just getting back in the groove of things. You're seeing the best players when they aren't at their best.

I think it's good for the players that are playing in it though, may be put them in a more competitive mood going into the regular season.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:37 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:
silverZ wrote:It's glorified spring training. Enjoy it for what it is. If managers didn't agree to get everyone at bats and have pitchers on strict pitch counts there would be even less talent coming from MLB.

That's the other thing, the tournament is at an awful time..you have hitters still getting their timing down and pitchers just getting back in the groove of things. You're seeing the best players when they aren't at their best.

This is only time to have the WBC. MLB and the Japanese leagues are not interrupting their regular seasons for the WBC. After the World Series, players are concentrating on contracts and getting healthy.

No one treats this like spring training. There are pitch counts, but the batters usually play an entire game. You see substitutions occasionally, but not the mass exodus like in ST games. Pitchers concentrate on trying to get hitters out instead of just throwing fastballs or trying out new pitches. Players actually play to win the games.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers