Twins Outfield? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Twins Outfield?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Twins Outfield?

Postby colt4523 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:04 pm

Wanted some opinions who is going to join Willingham in the twins outfield this year. Is it going to be Mastroianni or Hicks to start the year in CF?
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Twins Outfield?

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 pm

last I read the Twins wanted Aaron Hicks to win the job in CF.
as long as Hicks wins the job, I'm hoping to grab him for fantasy.
he has had impressive minor league numbers.
http://thebaseballcube.com/players/prof ... aron-Hicks
http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... osition=OF

he walks good, but it also looks like he has some trouble with the K.

as for the other spot. I read some few weeks ago that maybe Chris Parmalee could start in the OF. he has some sweet potential if he can start.
http://thebaseballcube.com/players/prof ... r-Parmelee
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Parmelee is almost a lock to start in RF. He's a fairly awful fielder since he's a natural 1Bman but that spot is filled. Parmelee was a 3 outcome player (BB, K, XBH). The Twins were convinced that wasn't going to work so they completely retooled his swing. The K's were cut in half but his power vanished. As of right now he looks like a pretty boring fantasy option at 1B/OF. .275/.340/.425/.765 would be a good season. .275/15/1 for fantasy stats.

Hicks is caught in the MLB service time limbo. I think he's playing himself onto the roster but the Twins could go with Benson or Mastro if they want to delay his FA or prevent super 2. They have publicly said that this won't be the reason that they send him down but who knows. I think in his prime he is a .265/10+/25 (.340+ OBP) guy but I think he will struggle this year. He has always struggled when moving up and his MiLB stats aren't that impressive contrary to the previous poster's opinion. His good seasons are mostly fueled by high BAPIP's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Joe Benson is the wildcard in this.
He wasn't healthy last year, and kept playing through injuries (or trying to).
He's still got 2 or 3 weeks to press his claims, and if he can get his pre-2012 mojo back at the plate the Twins might be forced to play him.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Benson can be Drew Stubbs if he makes it.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:39 pm

Hicks has a .379 career OBP in the minors.
don't most speedy players have a higher BABIP?
I would say 100 R/13 HR/32 SB in 129 games is pretty impressive.
I think he could turn into 15+ HR/30+ SB guy. maybe BJ Upton like, with a little less steals, but a little better AVG.

where did you read about Parmelee changing his swing? and when did he do this?
last year in the minors in the month of August he had .323/.444/.667/1.110/ 8 HR/ with 31 K in 28 games.
then in September with the Twins he had .270/.309/.492/.801/ 3 HR with 19 K in 19 games.
I think it would be stupid for the Twins to change his swing to eliminate the K's if it ends up taking away all his power.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:23 am

Hicks MiLB career
.251/.353/.382/.735 BAPIP = .303
.279/.401/.428/.829 BAPIP = .358
.242/.354/.368/.722 BAPIP = .308
.286/.384/.460/.844 BAPIP = .344

he's made progress but each of his good season's were in a high BAPIP year. Knock 20-30 pts of average off due to a lucky BAPIP and he's a .260's hitter. speed is one factor for high BAPIP's but I wouldn't project anyone for a .340+ BAPIP.

I'm also unsure how well Hicks' BB rate will translate. The knock on him for K's is that he takes too many pitches. In the majors that means that he will be taking even more difficult to hit strikes than balls. Overall I see him as a good but not great player (fantasy and real life).

I've followed Parmelee since he was drafted. In the low minors ('07/'08) he was K'ing 28-30% of the time while hitting .240. He wasn't going to make the majors regardless of how much power he had. By 2010 he was K'ing 15% of the time was looking like a potential big leaguer although his power was gone (low .100's isoP). He's shown blips of the power coming back though (like in AAA last year).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 am

No. Very few fast guys can keep a .360+ OBP these days because nobody walks a fast guy with no power. Only 24 players in all of baseball posted a .370 or higher OBP last year, of those 24 you had only 7 that had fewer than 20 HR and none had fewer than 10. Only 2 of them stole 30+ bases and that was Braun and Trout.

Hicks has an Austin Jackson/Shin-Shoo Choo/Alex Gordon type profile. Should eventually hit like .280 with a good OBP and hit in that 15-20 HR range with 20ish SB potential. He will most likely start the year in AAA though until the service time issues are over.

The knock on him for K's is that he takes too many pitches. In the majors that means that he will be taking even more difficult to hit strikes than balls

This is a good problem to have. This is something that fixes itself with experience. What you don't want is a guy who just has problems making contact, that is a skill that translates poorly to the majors.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:16 am

Ender wrote:

No. Very few fast guys can keep a .360+ OBP these days because nobody walks a fast guy with no power. Only 24 players in all of baseball posted a .370 or higher OBP last year, of those 24 you had only 7 that had fewer than 20 HR and none had fewer than 10. Only 2 of them stole 30+ bases and that was Braun and Trout.

Hicks has an Austin Jackson/Shin-Shoo Choo/Alex Gordon type profile. Should eventually hit like .280 with a good OBP and hit in that 15-20 HR range with 20ish SB potential. He will most likely start the year in AAA though until the service time issues are over.

BABIP
Batting Average On Balls In Play.
I'm thinking speedy guys can have a higher BABIP because they beat out more infield hits with their speed.
Ichiro has a career .347 BABIP.
Austin Jackson in his 3 years has had .396/.340/.371 BABIP.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:22 am

Sorry i read BABIP as OBP in your post.

Yeah speedy guys have higher BABIP and so do guys who make hard contact. It is pretty rare to keep a BABIP anywhere close to .355 in the majors, in the minors it is more common. I could see him settling into a .320 to .330 BABIP or so with his current approach.

Austin Jackson's BABIP will go down, part of why he is being overrated by people. He has the highest career BABIP of any player to play over the past 10 years and he won't maintain that given his skillset. Jackson does get a good number of infield hits so he will keep a high BABIP but that year of .340 is probably more reality sandwiched by a couple of lucky years.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers