yahoo questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

yahoo questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

yahoo questions

Postby etex211 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 am

I am starting a new league in yahoo this year, and I have a couple of questions. This will be an auction head to head league. My questions are about keepers and free agent acquisitions during the season.

We are still formulating our keeper rules for the league, but it will probably be something along the lines of "you can keep a player for up to three seasons at the player's original auction price." Does yahoo have a mechanism for tracking the keeper contracts, or is that something I would need to keep manually off-site?

We will have a FAAB budget for acquiring free agents during the season. We will also have a waiver claim process where you can claim players waived by other teams with no cost to the FAAB budget. We will have weekly transactions, and the rosters will be locked during each weekly match-up. Can yahoo handle weekly FAAB bidding on free agents? Is there anything in place to handle the waiver claim process? Or would I need to track both of these processes manually off-site?

I hope I have done a good job of phrasing my questions. Thanks in advance for any replies.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: yahoo questions

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:19 pm

etex211 wrote:I am starting a new league in yahoo this year, and I have a couple of questions. This will be an auction head to head league. My questions are about keepers and free agent acquisitions during the season.

We are still formulating our keeper rules for the league, but it will probably be something along the lines of "you can keep a player for up to three seasons at the player's original auction price." Does yahoo have a mechanism for tracking the keeper contracts, or is that something I would need to keep manually off-site?

You can associate costs with players. You can make those costs auction costs. The costs will be imported the following year if you renew and import rosters. We do not know about "contracts", or years. Yet, anyway.

We will have a FAAB budget for acquiring free agents during the season. We will also have a waiver claim process where you can claim players waived by other teams with no cost to the FAAB budget. We will have weekly transactions, and the rosters will be locked during each weekly match-up. Can yahoo handle weekly FAAB bidding on free agents? Is there anything in place to handle the waiver claim process? Or would I need to track both of these processes manually off-site?

I hope I have done a good job of phrasing my questions. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I can't tell if we can do what you're saying or not. We do support FAAB. We do support Continuous Waivers where all unowned players are always on waivers, with waivers clearing on days of the week that you specify. We do not support a model where sometimes waiver claims cost FAAB money and sometimes they don't.

Hope that helps...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby etex211 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:25 pm

Yes, that info helps. Thanks.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby etex211 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:56 pm

I've got a couple more questions:

Can the commissioner of a league edit the rosters retroactively? For example, in a head to head league with weekly transactions, can I make changes to the rosters on a Tuesday, and make those changes retroactive to Monday to have the stats count for the full Monday-Sunday scoring period?

What happens when there are ties in head to head leagues? My settings are set for one win each week and 6x6 stat categories. If the two teams finish tied 6-6, will yahoo record a tie, or is there a tiebreaker mechanism?

Thanks>
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DanTacular » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm

etex211 wrote:I've got a couple more questions:

Can the commissioner of a league edit the rosters retroactively? For example, in a head to head league with weekly transactions, can I make changes to the rosters on a Tuesday, and make those changes retroactive to Monday to have the stats count for the full Monday-Sunday scoring period?

What happens when there are ties in head to head leagues? My settings are set for one win each week and 6x6 stat categories. If the two teams finish tied 6-6, will yahoo record a tie, or is there a tiebreaker mechanism?

Thanks>

I've been commissioning in Yahoo! for a few years now and this is actually one of the more infuriating things about using Yahoo!. While I generally enjoy Yahoo!, they do not allow for any retroactive action and remember that if you are doing weekly line-up changes, you have to put in the roster changes by midnight the night before. So, as an example, if you set your weekly roster changes to Monday, you must make sure your changes are put in by Sunday, midnight, Pacific time. This can be very frustrating considering their football leagues have up-to-gametime changes allowed.

As for ties, they exist in Yahoo! and the tiebreakers are based on records against, I do believe. You can also establish your own tiebreaker rules and scenarios on Yahoo!, which is very nice. Also, if you are doing keepers, remember that you must put them in manually next year. I do not know why you must if there are keeper lists that managers choose, but whatever.

All in all, Yahoo! is not a bad interface for fantasy sports other than the qualms I listed.
DanTacular
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 am

To your last point, just because we know who your keepers are doesn't mean we have the slightest idea how they impact your draft. Leagues do 1,000,001 different things with regard to keepers. So we try to give you the flexibility to do any of those thing. Slot them into the first N rounds, slot them into the last N rounds, or slot them into individual picks based on your league's rules. And so on.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DanTacular » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:To your last point, just because we know who your keepers are doesn't mean we have the slightest idea how they impact your draft. Leagues do 1,000,001 different things with regard to keepers. So we try to give you the flexibility to do any of those thing. Slot them into the first N rounds, slot them into the last N rounds, or slot them into individual picks based on your league's rules. And so on.

Okay, that answers my last point, but what is the point of even having people choose keepers if I have to put them in manually, anyway? I assume that is because, once again you "don't know how people will do things." I am just not convinced that there is not a way to just put them on the teams and allow the managers from drafting for the remaining roster positions.
Also, what about the retroactivity? I have used Yahoo! for years and even stuck around through that massive outage this past football year which made me really want to leave. I am still with Yahoo! and like some of its capabilities such as trading draft picks and carrying them over from the season prior, but it needs to catch up with other fantasy software. There are just little things that need fixing--deadlines, retroactivity, things like that.
I know this is a tangent, but since I have a chance to interact with someone who represents Yahoo! in some capacity, I figured I should take the chance.
DanTacular
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:04 pm

DanTacular wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:To your last point, just because we know who your keepers are doesn't mean we have the slightest idea how they impact your draft. Leagues do 1,000,001 different things with regard to keepers. So we try to give you the flexibility to do any of those thing. Slot them into the first N rounds, slot them into the last N rounds, or slot them into individual picks based on your league's rules. And so on.

Okay, that answers my last point, but what is the point of even having people choose keepers if I have to put them in manually, anyway? I assume that is because, once again you "don't know how people will do things." I am just not convinced that there is not a way to just put them on the teams and allow the managers from drafting for the remaining roster positions.
Also, what about the retroactivity? I have used Yahoo! for years and even stuck around through that massive outage this past football year which made me really want to leave. I am still with Yahoo! and like some of its capabilities such as trading draft picks and carrying them over from the season prior, but it needs to catch up with other fantasy software. There are just little things that need fixing--deadlines, retroactivity, things like that.
I know this is a tangent, but since I have a chance to interact with someone who represents Yahoo! in some capacity, I figured I should take the chance.

re: why bother doing keepers in-game at all?
So you tell me. You certainly don't have to, and can do them entirely offline. As a commish, the answer for *me* is that I'd much rather have them all in one place, have managers have an easy-to-click list of all their players with costs associated with them, the rules right in front of their face while they do so, etc. etc. I used to have all my managers e-mail them to me. I find this much better. Even moreso because once I confirm keepers, they are automatically visible to the league on the site.

re: can't we just put the players on teams?
We could, and a large percentage of keeper leagues would be unable to draft properly. The real sticky case is leagues where protecting a player causes you to forfeit a draft pick related to where you drafted the guy. We can't just stick the guys on your roster, because there are supposed to be "holes" scattered around the draft order that hold those protected guys. While my league does not work this way, my perception is that this is a very common keeper league use case.

Now for leagues that don't do that. Suppose you allow teams to protect differing numbers of players. If so, then it makes a significant different whether the guys get slotted into the beginning of the draft or the end of the draft. We can't really ignore that fact. Suppose you protect 3 guys and everyone else protects 2 guys. Do we all get one extra pick after you're done? Or do we do one whole round without you at the beginning?

Now for leagues that don't do that and require everybody to protect the same number of players. Yup, that's the easy case. You could put them in the first N rounds, the last N rounds, etc. etc. And I *think* the custom draft order tool even gives you an easy way to do this, though I'm not the guy who ultimately ended up implementing that part of the integration.

re: retroactive scoring
Since you mentioned you play football, you probably know it exists for football. There is a huge different between football and baseball in this regard. Football is easier to score, and has waaay fewer data points. Even on the last day of the season, there are only 16 data points. For baseball, for example, if somebody goes and changes a scoring setting, changes a lineup in week 1, etc. etc., there is a ton more work/calculation that has to go on to re-update your league. That is what makes the non-football games trickier. Trying to figure out what your experience is while that updating is going on, trying to make sure goofy commissioners can't ruin the performance of the site because they're constantly making us recalculate full seasons of leagues, etc. etc. We get why this is desirable, and it might happen eventually, but this is why it exists for football and not other games.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby etex211 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:00 am

Regarding tiebreakers.....

In a head to head league, I expect to have a bunch of ties in weekly match-ups and in the standings. If I establish a tiebreaker process outside of yahoo, will I be able to manually adjust the results of the weekly match-ups and of the standings?
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Commissioner's Corner