Expansion Keeper Team Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Expansion Keeper Team Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Expansion Keeper Team Question

Postby Berge20 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Not sure if there is a good way to think about this, but figured I'd ask.
I am joining an existing fantasy baseball keeper/dynasty league (6x6 roto, 12 teams, snake draft).

Teams can keep up to 4 regular keepers (3 years max) and 2 prospect keepers.
Regular keepers you give up your top 4 draft picks. Obviously w/o a current team, I don't have to worry about this.

You can keep any prospect an unlimited number of times until he loses his MLB rookie eligibility. You give up your last 2 draft picks to keep prospects. One wrinkle, if a player was a rookie in 2012 (ie Bryce Harper)--you get to use a prospect slot for him in 2013.

I get to choose 2 of my prospect keepers in an expansion draft. What I'm struggling with is valuing some of the available 2012 rookies that might be able to immediately have an impact (ie. a Matt Moore is somehow out there in this category, a Trevor Bauer, a Josh Rutledge for instance) vs. utilizing these slots for guys who will be 2013 rookies.

Never participated in a dynasty league before, so any suggestions/reading material/etc are welcome. What should I be thinking about/looking at in terms of comparing those 2012 rookies with the possible 2013 rookies/prospects. One group will only be able to be kept in my prospect slot for 2013 and the other type I could have there for at least 2013/2014.

My initial thought was just take the best available players and in the normal draft process, maybe reach for the 2013 rookies before other teams (who already have their keeper prospects) to ensure I have two good guys to carry over as prospects and potentially a Matt Moore type as a regular keeper.
Berge20
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Expansion Keeper Team Question

Postby bayside » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 am

If Matt Moore is indeed available then he should undoubtedly be your first choice. Harvey is another 2012 rookie (if hes unowned) NYM SP.

2013 rookies to consider: Bundy Bal SP, Wheeler NYM SP, Taveras StL OF, Profar Tex SS, Myers TB OF, Skaggs AZ SP, D'Arnaud NYM C, Zunino Sea C, Cole Pit SP Miller StL SP,
Those guys will all make an impact at the MLB level this year, and likely all before or around the Allstar break.

Unless their are multiple top-30 players available in the regular draft, then its likely your team wont be in the championship hunt this year, so I would lean towards grabbing the 2013 rookies.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Expansion Keeper Team Question

Postby yomikeya » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:37 pm

I only have vague advice. I was an expansion team year before last. I went all young talent/prospects. Went with young guys like Freeman, Jennings, Kipnis, etc. over middling older guys. I would honestly take the guys with the highest upside, a la Taveras, Bundy, Profar, Myers.
yomikeya
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers