What's Your Fantasy Baseball Resume? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's Your Fantasy Baseball Resume?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What's Your Fantasy Baseball Resume?

Postby ayebatter » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Started with Strat-o-Matic in the 70s'........................ :-°

**edit: make that the 60s' 8-o **
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:53 pm

J35J wrote:HOOTIE(4 leagues)7th,3rd,11th,2nd - avg 6th (Nice to have 2 top 3 finishes, your 5th league must have been before '08?)

Yes, MBUSER was a writer.
In 07, i placed 2nd.
Nice group of guys you listed, i remember them and you well!!
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Izenhart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Nerfherders wrote:I started with Smallworld (a stock market style fantasy baseball game) in 1998 and then moved over to roto leagues in 2002. Ive been running a contract-cap style dynasty league for 10 years, winning it 5 times out of 11 tries. I also play in a 30-team H2H points redraft, a 20 team keeper, and a 16-team redraft. I like 'em deep!

Best win was 2011 in the 16 teamer. The league is set up in 3 tiers - main league, two AAA, and two AA leagues, all 16 teamers playing the same rules. Top 7 in AA moves you to AAA in the next year. Top 3 in AAA gets you into the main league. Bottom guys move down. I won the AAA league going away, getting into the big league for the first time.

Second best wasn't a win - I won the AL pennant in the 30-teamer, but lost in the World Series. 2nd out of 30 isn't bad, nor was the $310 payout.

Smallworld was awesome. Haven't seen anything else like it since.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby JMB05 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 pm

I like this thread.

I think J35J nailed it but I will still post my story.

Started in 2003, had zero idea about fantasy baseball, but I was enthralled by the game.

Steve Finley was my best batter, I finished 8th out of 12. I was in love.

Up until this year I only played in two leagues. Last year was the first year I didn't win one of the leagues in the past three years. I placed second.

I realize it doesn't mean much to anyone else, but the main money league is the toughest competition I've ever seen. People fly in from all over the US to draft live, it's a hell of a time.

This year I am participating in one of the Cafe Leagues (noobs) and I am very much loving the challenge of facing some of the Cafes best, and getting the honor of picking 14th.

I love the challenge!
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby BigLebowski » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Bwanna wrote:Bunch of youngsters on here.

Been playing since 1986. First league was an NL-only league using Waggoner's rules from the book [below], only difference was were were poor guys right out of college, so we used a tenth of the recommended salaries ($.10 vs $1 min salary). 1st place three years, and stayed active in this league for 10. As we eventually moved away, we still all drove or flew back to Dallas for the draft, then for the winner's celebration with Yoohoo. Winner's portion of pot was usually around $400. Did it all on paper first couple of years, then our commish subscribed to USA Today's BBS stat service, compiled the rankings and faxed them to us each week. Hi-tech baby.

http://amzn.com/0553340816

Took a 10 year break after I was spending more time working deals on the phone that I was with my family.

Now just play for free and for fun online. Miss those old days of face-to-face drafts.

EDIT: Players of interest from those early days...
- Von Hayes, Andre Dawson, Mike Schmidt were on my first team.
- Drafted Jeff Bagwell to my farm when he was still wiht the BoSox.
- Drafted Marquis Grissom when he was going to be the next Andre Dawson
- Once worked a deal to get Kevin Bass for Marvell Wynne after Wynne went off in a game with a couple of dingers.

Good times.

If you ever get the urge to join another long time league NL only live auction league let me know.

We have an auction in Phoenix every spring for a live NL only auction keeper that was started in 1986. Last year we had guys flying in from Washington(me), Chicago, Minnesota. (people who have moved out of the area since joining the league.)

This is my main money league and is a ton of fun.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I just became the first owner to ever win the league daullaz is the commish of in back-to-back seasons. Gameday bucket go boom.

What do you mean I co-run the team with Kyle? What? Who?

Kyle told me you phoned it in last season, and he's the heart and soul of that team

At least he's honest.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Bwanna » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:04 pm

BigLebowski wrote:If you ever get the urge to join another long time league NL only live auction league let me know.

We have an auction in Phoenix every spring for a live NL only auction keeper that was started in 1986. Last year we had guys flying in from Washington(me), Chicago, Minnesota. (people who have moved out of the area since joining the league.)

This is my main money league and is a ton of fun.

Thanks, very tempting.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers