With the fifth pick... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

With the fifth pick...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who do you take with the fifth pick in a re-draft?

Joey Votto
29%
Matt Kemp
41%
Carlos Gonzalez
No votes
Albert Pujols
21%
Andrew McCutchen
10%
Prince Fielder
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes : 63

With the fifth pick...

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:22 pm

In a series of twelve threads, let's discuss who should be picked where in the first round. Assume standard scoring 12 team H2H re-draft league.

So far we have...

1. Ryan Braun
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Mike Trout
4. Robinson Cano

1) Select a player in the poll
2) Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: With the fifth pick...

Postby j24jags » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Comes down to Kemp or McCutchen for me out of these options. I'd go with Kemp & pray he stays healthy. If you can get 140+ games out of him, I think there's a pretty good chance he finishes high enough to justify this draft position...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Pujols for me. I think he's still a relatively safe pick and has a good shot at putting up elite numbers.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:40 pm

I like Votto here.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 pm

I voted Kemp with the caveat that I'd want to see him play more before committing to this pick. Votto is the other easy choice here but again I'd want to see how healthy he is. McCutchen is a bust waiting to happen this year, I don't trust Pujols and the other names don't seem to belong in the discussion at all.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:48 pm

I think I go Votto here.

Ender wrote:I voted Kemp with the caveat that I'd want to see him play more before committing to this pick. Votto is the other easy choice here but again I'd want to see how healthy he is. McCutchen is a bust waiting to happen this year, I don't trust Pujols and the other names don't seem to belong in the discussion at all.

Curious as to why you think Cutch will bust.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:16 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I think I go Votto here.

Ender wrote:I voted Kemp with the caveat that I'd want to see him play more before committing to this pick. Votto is the other easy choice here but again I'd want to see how healthy he is. McCutchen is a bust waiting to happen this year, I don't trust Pujols and the other names don't seem to belong in the discussion at all.

People are drafting him expecting a .300+ hitter. He is not one. I still like him in the later first round though.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I think I go Votto here.

To be clear I meant drafting him 5th is nothing but a bust potential, I like McCutchen. His skills don't support his AVG from last year. That is likely the upper end of his power potential that he reached last year. He is not a good basestealer and as the franchise player they are less likely to run him as much so I think 20 SB is the peak as well. It still is not a good lineup so the R+RBI are somewhat iffy as well since they were so high last year. I think McCutchen is a downside pick in every single category compared to what he did last year. Most of the time when a player breaks out you see a small regression the next year and not another step forward. A small regression of his season last year means late 1st round, not #5.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I like Votto here.

I think my biggest problem with Votto in fantasy is that he actually walks too much. Sure he'll score more runs for it, but I think it caps his power and RBI potential a lot lower than you would think given his ability. I think expecting more than 25-30 HR is a mistake this year given injury concerns and the amount he walks.

I've got him at .314-93-26-98-8 which puts him 13th overall by my rankings.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:30 am

Ender wrote:That is likely the upper end of his power potential that he reached last year.

I thought this as well, but I read this awhile back and wasn't sure what to think about it. Only 12% of his homeruns last year were of the "gust enough" variety. Ninth least in all of baseball. Small sample, but it's interesting.

Wow, and I thought Andrew McCutchen had little chance to repeat that inflated HR/FB rate. That rate jumped by a bit more than 50% over 2011, so the knee-jerk reaction would be that it is due for regression, perhaps to a severe degree. But, aside from his appearance here, his average HR + FB distance climbed above 300 feet and ranked 8th among all hitters. In 2011, his distance ranked just 60th. So maybe his huge home run outburst was indeed for real.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index. ... ood-names/
Last edited by GiantsFan14 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers