Strategy: Platooning Hitters?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy: Platooning Hitters??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Strategy: Platooning Hitters??

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm

I would have neither of them. And I certainly wouldn't target a group of players that at best get 180 good at-bats.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 526)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I would have neither of them. And I certainly wouldn't target a group of players that at best get 180 good at-bats.

Again it all depends on how deep your league is. I'm starting Cuddyer and Dejesus with Plouffe, YEscobar and Dozier. Every time an injury happens those bench players move up a rung.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 517)

Postby ichirosan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 am

Skin Blues wrote:I would have neither of them. And I certainly wouldn't target a group of players that at best get 180 good at-bats.

I'm pretty sure you aren't in a league where the best available 1B at the draft was Garrett Jones.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Niffoc4 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:50 am

To me, you don't want a player getting the short side of the platoon because 4 of 5 stats (in most leagues) are counting stats. For example, in my NL-Only league I'd rather have Adeiny Hechevarria's 600 ABs of crapitude then 200 ABs of Brent Lillibridge, because Lillibridge will likely only be better in BA and home runs. For runs, rbis and sbs, Hechevarria will be better, and to match his r, rbi and sb output I would need 2 or 3 Lillibridges (depending on where Hechevarria hits in that lineup).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:19 am

Skin Blues wrote:I don't understand why somebody would target the right hand side of a platoon. Don't they only get 30% of the platoon ABs versus 70% for the left hand side of the platoon? Not worth using a roster spot on a guy who will only get maybe 180 ABs for your team. Versus 420 from the other half of the platoon. Very little upside, too. Even a home/road platoon on a guy like Colvin gives you 300 AB. I suppose in very shallow leagues with a deep bench it could work. But still... I don't know why the right side of a platoon would specifically be targeted. Am I missing something?

Just depends on the guy. I drafted Gomes in one league and I'll just start him on days when he faces lefties or when he faces bad righties at home or as a Mon/Thu filler. Last year against lefties he hit .299 with 11 HR and 26 RBI in 173 PA. That league I have 5 spots I can sub him in at and I made sure to not overdraft OF early so there are guys I can swap him in for. Combine those stats with Denard Span and you have a better version of Austin Jackson from 2 late round picks.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm not saying it can never work. But then most leagues I play in don't have a huge bench, so every spot matters. This is something people still don't fully recognize; the value of a roster spot. And of Jonny Gomes' 180 ABs versus lefties, how many will come when you already have a full lineup and Denard Span (or whoever you're platooning him with) is facing a righty? Probably 120 or so. So now we're down to 60 at-bats over the course of a season, assuming he stays healthy all year. Maybe you play him versus righties, but he's terrible against them. And you're dealing with small sample sizes so it takes 4x longer to get a gauge on a player's real talent level exclusively versus lefties. There's also not much upside in those types of players. It sounds nice in theory, that you're getting Austin Jackson value by drafting a scrub near the end of a draft, but there are a thousand reasons why that isn't true.

For my money, if I'm using a roster spot on a player that will probably only get 35% of the playing time of a high priced star, I'm going with a relief ace 99 times out of 100.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 526)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 pm

In my particular league that I sort of employ this we have a) deep benches, b) loads of managers targeting good set-up men for the next closers, c) daily lineup changes.

I don't go in with the strategy that I'm only getting platoon lefties at OF and 1B (called the LISA plan). However, if I end up with several of the middle-tier guys like that (Hosmer, Rizzo, Choo, A Gordon, R Howard, Ethier, etc) I'll try to make sure I grab one guy with bounce-back or break-out upside and platoon them in when one of those guys is off or faces a tough lefty. Nearer to playoff time, when you're not camping on closer job changes or injury backups as much, if I have 5 RPs and still have an "open" roster spot I might add a Kubel or Brantley type to help platoon in with them come playoff time.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers