Strategy: Platooning Hitters?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy: Platooning Hitters??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Strategy: Platooning Hitters??

Postby NZ Eff » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:16 am

John Bonzo wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Anyone know of a possible deep hidden righty that hits lefty's pretty well? And I'm talking deeper than all the previous players already mentioned on this thread lol

Here's a few not mentioned:

Jon Jay at home especially vs righties
Tyler Colvin vs righties especially at home
Will Venable vs righties especially away
Matt Joyce vs righties
Raul Ibanez vs righties especially away

The guy wants deep righty hitters and you give him 5 lefties :-b

Justin Ruggiano and Dayan Viciedo are a couple of deep righties.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:17 am

smoovethug wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Anyone know of a possible deep hidden righty that hits lefty's pretty well? And I'm talking deeper than all the previous players already mentioned on this thread lol

Matt Diaz came to mind.

Great find! He isn't in Yahoo! though for some reason...lol
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 am

wingman3110 wrote:
smoovethug wrote:

Matt Diaz came to mind.

Great find! He isn't in Yahoo! though for some reason...lol

That's because he was just signed to a MiLB deal with the Marlins yesterday, and that's a reason I didn't list him as an option. If he ends up making the team, and somehow finds himself in a platoon in LF with Pierre, he'd definitely make a good platoon option - career .324 hitter against LHP.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:46 am

Justin Maxwell mashes lefties. If Ryan Raburn gets a platoon in Cleveland he will hit lefties. I assume the usual suspects on the strong side of the platoon (e.g. Garrett Jones) are already taken. Gaby Sanchez should be on the weak side of a platoon with Garrett Jones.

I used to use this strategy quite a bit when I lived in China, because I could update my lineup when I got up in the morning right before the night games. However, I rarely use it now, because I don't have time to do it at night, and I miss too many games updating in the morning and then starting a guy who is sitting for one reason or another. I will be subbing in Maxwell against lefties in my 20 team league though.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby swyck » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Scott Hairston career .825 against lefties. Yeah, you'd rather a left handed hitter, but value is where you get it.

And to answer a previous poster, yeah I'd rather just have a great hitter and be done with it. That's nice if everything goes right for you and your league isn't all that competitive or deep. But once injuries hit and there's no sleepers on the wire, it's nice to find a seemingly marginal .250 hitter that may actually hit .280 for you. And quite frankly I like doing it. I like spending time with players and finding an edge somewhere. This is one way to do it. And I'd rather have a guy that clubs one side than a guy that's just meh overall.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 pm

I don't understand why somebody would target the right hand side of a platoon. Don't they only get 30% of the platoon ABs versus 70% for the left hand side of the platoon? Not worth using a roster spot on a guy who will only get maybe 180 ABs for your team. Versus 420 from the other half of the platoon. Very little upside, too. Even a home/road platoon on a guy like Colvin gives you 300 AB. I suppose in very shallow leagues with a deep bench it could work. But still... I don't know why the right side of a platoon would specifically be targeted. Am I missing something?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby John Bonzo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
John Bonzo wrote:

Here's a few not mentioned:

Jon Jay at home especially vs righties
Tyler Colvin vs righties especially at home
Will Venable vs righties especially away
Matt Joyce vs righties
Raul Ibanez vs righties especially away

The guy wants deep righty hitters and you give him 5 lefties :-b

Haha -- you're right. I didn't even notice that's what he asked for. Not sure why you'd target that side of the platoon except for an occasional spot start.
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby umphrey » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Dexter Fowler at home
Nelson Cruz vs LHP
umphrey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby swyck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:31 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I don't understand why somebody would target the right hand side of a platoon. Don't they only get 30% of the platoon ABs versus 70% for the left hand side of the platoon? Not worth using a roster spot on a guy who will only get maybe 180 ABs for your team. Versus 420 from the other half of the platoon. Very little upside, too. Even a home/road platoon on a guy like Colvin gives you 300 AB. I suppose in very shallow leagues with a deep bench it could work. But still... I don't know why the right side of a platoon would specifically be targeted. Am I missing something?

I don't know that I'd be specifically targeting the right side of a platoon. However I'd rather have 180 solid ABs than 500 mediocre ones. Put enough solid ABs together from wherever you can get them and you one pretty good player. It all depends on who's available on your bench and on your wire.

I generally don't put little upside mediocre guys on my roster, I'd rather fill them in with upside from either side of the plate.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Skin Blues wrote:I don't understand why somebody would target the right hand side of a platoon. Don't they only get 30% of the platoon ABs versus 70% for the left hand side of the platoon? Not worth using a roster spot on a guy who will only get maybe 180 ABs for your team. Versus 420 from the other half of the platoon. Very little upside, too. Even a home/road platoon on a guy like Colvin gives you 300 AB. I suppose in very shallow leagues with a deep bench it could work. But still... I don't know why the right side of a platoon would specifically be targeted. Am I missing something?

I would rather take 180 quality AB'S and then 360 below average ones...
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers