Strategy: Platooning Hitters?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy: Platooning Hitters??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Strategy: Platooning Hitters??

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:53 am

I platoon hitters just because it's inevitable in a 24 tm league. This year I have Plouffe, Cuddyer, Dejesus and YEscobar rotating through 2 spots (OF and UT).

In a shallower league I still like to have one bench hitter that could be subbed in depending on matchups. I've also ended drafts with 2-3 spots at OF/UT with a group of breakout guys or average-ish hitters that I rotate through based on matchups.

If it was me I wouldn't purposely draft draft a platoon only hitter and instead use that roster spot early for a potential breakout. If that hitter doesn't breakout you can fall back to a platoon type hitter.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:49 pm

This is exactly the strategy that I use. Try to find breakout players; if that fails, go with platoon guys. The same strategy works for pitching, except it's in the from of spot-starting. And I wholeheartedly agree that you need a daily league for this to work well, and that you need a 4 guys for 3 spots sort of deal, or 3-for-2. A two guys for one spot isn't so good as you are going to waste a lot of good stats from your "backup" and you are going to have times when both guys are facing a bad matchup.

However, I would also say that you can use one spot on your team as a "waiver wire hitter" spot on a daily basis; if you do this, you open up a lot more options as some of the lefty-killers (Scott Hairston and Cody Ross are two of my favorites) then become options when you need a boost. In deeper leagues, these types are almost always on the WW, whereas the lefties that hit righties well are often owned as people are willing to put up with 2 days of bad stats in order to have 5 days of good ones.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 4)

Postby ichirosan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:40 pm

I have a platoon going in my 20-man dynasty league: Adam LaRoche (lefty), Lance Berkman (lefty), Carlos Quentin (plays at PETCO) and Logan Morrison playing at 1B and UTIL, though I'll probably trade one of them before the season starts.

On top of lefty players with extreme splits, I also target players with extreme home-road splits (Rockies, Padres, etc). Usually it's my last resort when one player goes down, as I value my bench space dearly.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 16)

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 am

Anyone know of a possible deep hidden righty that hits lefty's pretty well? And I'm talking deeper than all the previous players already mentioned on this thread lol
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 345)

Postby ichirosan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 am

I ended up trading LaRoche for Reddick, so now my platoon expanded to RF including him and Brandon Moss.

Before that, I was targeting three RFs: Andy Dirks, Brennan Boesch and Nate Schierholtz, all lefties who bat righties pretty well.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 am

wingman3110 wrote:Anyone know of a possible deep hidden righty that hits lefty's pretty well? And I'm talking deeper than all the previous players already mentioned on this thread lol

Jonny Gones, Cody Ross, and Chris Young are a few other obvious names.

For something a little deeper, what about Chris Denorfia? He's a combined .889 OPS vs. lefties over the last 2 seasons - good for top-30 in MLB.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby John Bonzo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Anyone know of a possible deep hidden righty that hits lefty's pretty well? And I'm talking deeper than all the previous players already mentioned on this thread lol

Here's a few not mentioned:

Jon Jay at home especially vs righties
Tyler Colvin vs righties especially at home
Will Venable vs righties especially away
Matt Joyce vs righties
Raul Ibanez vs righties especially away
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby smoovethug » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Matt Diaz came to mind.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Postby Garry26 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:16 am

Time spent Vs Gain ratio.

Is it worth it to you for such a gain? Or do you think the gains would be significant? Would your platoon give you a player at that roster slot 6-7 days a week? Will you be annoyed when you bench Morneau in favor of Ross and he hits a three run HR vs an 0/4 Ross, or vice versa?

It's best to get a good player and be done with it. It's too much of a hassle. I know some people that stream pitchers and such, but that's less of a headache, and often those people are sacrificing a category or two. This platooning business is far more complicated.

Im against it.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 84)

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 am

Garry26 wrote:Time spent Vs Gain ratio.

Is it worth it to you for such a gain? Or do you think the gains would be significant? Would your platoon give you a player at that roster slot 6-7 days a week? Will you be annoyed when you bench Morneau in favor of Ross and he hits a three run HR vs an 0/4 Ross, or vice versa?

It's best to get a good player and be done with it. It's too much of a hassle. I know some people that stream pitchers and such, but that's less of a headache, and often those people are sacrificing a category or two. This platooning business is far more complicated.

Im against it.

Your post seems aimed at small to medium depth leagues where there are good players available. In really deep leagues you are probably not able to bench a guy like Morneau. As an example I have one of the best tms in my 24 tm league and my utility spot will revolve between Dejesus/YEscobar/Plouffe. And that's only until an injury happens and one of those guys is an everyday starter. Living and breathing ballplayers have a lot of value in this league and if they have strong splits then it could work well.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers