Ignoring Pitchers Draft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ignoring Pitchers Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ignoring Pitchers Draft Strategy

Postby maxrum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm in H2H 14/16 players 8x8 league:

(R), (H), (HR), (RBI), (SB), (TB), (AVG), (OPS)
(W), (CG), (SHO), (SV), (K), (HLD), (ERA), (WHIP)
(no minimum innings pitched)
C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Do you think it's a sound strategy to draft only offense first and then load on pitchers who can generate HLD? Two pitching categories CG and SHO are very unpredictable and rare. Therefore pitching stats are already 8x6 disadvantaged.

Will I be in trouble if I start drafting pitchers at rounds 13-15? This way I hopefully can win 8 offensive categories in H2H plus HLD and possibly ERA/WHIP.
maxrum
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ignoring Pitchers Draft Strategy

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:25 pm

You wont win 8 offensive categories even if you draft all hitters and zero pitchers.
Lots of other teams are still going to be picking the elite bats with their first several picks.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby maxrum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Well, of course everyone will be getting elite batters in the beginning. But after that, when people start getting pitchers/relievers I will be able to add more above average offense to my roster, which should give me an edge. Also, it's not crucial to win all 8 in offense, giving almost guaranteed HLD category and very likely ERA and WHIP. Or this line of thinking is wrong? This is my third season and I'm still learning.
maxrum
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Its not "wrong" per se, it just wont work well enough to give you a big edge.
For one, its a fairly common strategy to wait on pitching (just not to the extreme that you suggest).
So in the first 4-5 rounds, when their can be a relatively large difference in the value of hitters between rounds, many owners will be doing exactly what you are doing, and you wont see much edge to be gained.

But the differences in talent between available hitters and an average hitter will get progressively smaller the further along in the draft you go. So that hitter you take in round 9, when Team B is taking his 3rd SP, is not really much better than the hitter that Team B gets in the 10th round, or even the 11th round.

Of course this is only on average, and any single pick can yield huge profit.

But the bottom line is that your offense will not be nearly as dominant as you expect it to be.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby maxrum » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 pm

For the past two years I was drafting a very balanced team and it worked well, I managed to get to playoffs both times and then collapsed there.

I was just wondering if it will be a viable strategy to ignore pitching staff till the end of the draft, especially under our 8x8 settings, where category like Complete Game for example doesn't even make sense to consider. Also HLD category should be pretty easy to win on a regular basis if I concentrate mostly on it.

If not, what variation of this strategy can you suggest? Add emphasis on Saves in addition to holds and draft closers a bit earlier? I just want to try something different than straight forward balanced team draft.
maxrum
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Just saw that there is no minimum innings requirement.
So in theory you could pitch one RP, and if he throws a no hit inning, bench all your pitchers the rest of the week and win ERA/WHIP?
Still wouldnt work because you have to win SV and Holds all the time, but over the course of the season you should win the ratios more often than not by using only RP's.

You might be able to get away with punting W's and K's by drafting elite closers where you would normally take a SP2/3/4.
However you cant do that by waiting until the 13th round to draft RP's.
I really dont think its a good idea to punt 2 stats before you even begin your draft though.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers