2013 New York Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 New York Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 New York Yankees

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:01 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
toledomudhens wrote:absolutly, I am not giving the title to any team...they all have to play 162 games, i'm just trying to tell bronx that the 2013 yanks are gonna have a real hard time, and if the brothers really want to shred payroll, we they have a decision to make...I hope the days of 200 million contracts to guys over 30 are over, no matter what, it will never end good.

When exactly did I say it was going to be easy? And making a decision on Cano has nothing to do with the Yankees projected win total for 2013. What I said was that the Yankees will never trade Cano as long as they have a chance to win in 2013...and at this point in time they have a reasonable expectation to compete for a playoff spot. If that changes as the months go on, then you can discuss the validity of trading Cano. I never even commented on whether I felt they should re-sign him in the offseason or throw $200M+ at him. I only speculated that they would.

Well in theory, a team would be willing to give up more before the season starts for Cano since it would enable them to get a draft pick after the season. A midseason trade would preclude the team acquiring Cano from receiving compensation when he walks.

I agree that the Yankees would not never trade Cano at this moment. I also would not trade him if I am cashman, unless of course the M's called and offered Taijuan Walker, Zunino, and Hultzen. The public backlash of an obvious rebuilding year would be severe.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:31 am

The Yankees are still a dangerous team but they are a shell of their former selves. Definitely not the 90-100 win perennial powerhouse that they were.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby toledomudhens » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:26 pm

kab21 wrote:The Yankees are still a dangerous team but they are a shell of their former selves. Definitely not the 90-100 win perennial powerhouse that they were.

So let me get this...They are still a "DANGEROUS" team, but a "SHELL" of their former selves....Being dangerous and a shell of former selve contradict eachother no?...I didn't know you could be both. :-S :-S
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 196)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:19 pm

toledomudhens wrote:
kab21 wrote:The Yankees are still a dangerous team but they are a shell of their former selves. Definitely not the 90-100 win perennial powerhouse that they were.

So let me get this...They are still a "DANGEROUS" team, but a "SHELL" of their former selves....Being dangerous and a shell of former selve contradict eachother no?...I didn't know you could be both. :-S :-S

There former selves were a a team that won 95+ games in 10 of the past 12 years. A shell of a 95 win team is probably an 87 win team which is their lowest total since 1995. Pretty sure that was his point. It is really hard for the Yankees to finish sub .500.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby toledomudhens » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:54 pm

Hey man, I would love nothing more than to see my team win, cause thats why I chear for them, their my team.....I just see them as the 2012 red sox, without a trading partner for our 200 million in contracts...lol
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:52 pm

I think I'll take the under on 87 wins as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:24 pm

They certainly look under 87 looking at the roster going into the year that is for sure. But how teams look going into the season rarely matches what happens.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:23 am

toledomudhens wrote:

Ender is right. they have been powerhouses before. They are still a +.500 team and there are still a few stars on the team and they won't be terrible.

I'm still puzzled by the optimism that the Yankees will rebound in a season or two when their players are even older and several of them have left as FA's. There just isn't that much talent in FA and there are more teams than ever willing to spend big (and medium).
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby toledomudhens » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:24 am

I'm not totally sold oon them being good in a season or two myself, thats why i was saying lets go with a 3 year plan, cause essentally thats what some of these teams have right now, is that 3 year window to win now. I am not in favor(as much as i love him) to give cano 200 million+, to a guy who will be 31 when the contract starts. So let cashman be billy bean for a year or 2, Trade cano as soon as you know your out, and not a minute longer, Trade granderson to a contender looking to add some power, he is a free agent so trade him, cause I don't see them giving him 100+ million either....Trade these guys, get young, keep what we have right now in the minors, and make smart aquisitions(younger players). Stay away from the 35+ club. Tex i think has 2 years left after this?????, Arod is a whole other story, I personally would give it to him like he has to us, and make him a bench player and nothing more the rest of his carrer.He is going to get his money regardless(cause no one wants this guy), so lets piss him and his ego off as much as we can...So lets let the jays, nats, tigers, reds, phils(they are almost up as well), angels and the rangers do there thing for the next 2-3 yrs, and I hate saying this, but lets get young, make smart aquisitions, make SMART trades, STOCK OUR PITCHING, and maybe then we can be a dynasty again..No more 200 million dollar deals, unless its right now to trout, harper or stanton...lol..lol...Don't bring pettit back anymore, let ichiro go, don't ever resign youk, kuroda's time is real near, Let rivera have this year, and let jeter get another couple hits and be gone....3 yrs, And I think we are #1 again, even if you want to stay under 180 mil.....There will always be players to be signed, it's just a matter of finding those diamonds in the rough. Go yankees Go....I am not saying that what i have written here is wright or wrong, it is just how I personally would really think about if I were them.....
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:38 am

toledomudhens wrote:wright or wrong

Should be the name of a New York Mets reality show.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers