2013 New York Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 New York Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2013 New York Yankees

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:49 pm

toledomudhens wrote:All I am saying is we cant give into boras, and if we are out of the race, cashman really needs to think about moving our best chip.....Cause if this guy wanted to be a yankee for life, he would have accepted there offer...plain and simple...

Then this is a conversation to have if the Yankees are 10 games out at the All-Star break...not in early March. Something tells me that you'll be singing a different tune come July if the Yankees are in 1st place and Cano is raking.

And this whole "if he wanted to be a Yankee" thing is silly. Cano is one of the premier players in all of baseball and one of very few who has a chance to get a $200 million dollar deal. Cano doesn't owe the Yankees a hometown discount, he has a right to do whatever he wants. And the Yankees aren't going to ship him out of town because he hurt their feelings by turning down their offer. They will do what they think is best for their franchise.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 New York Yankees

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:54 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
toledomudhens wrote:All I am saying is we cant give into boras, and if we are out of the race, cashman really needs to think about moving our best chip.....Cause if this guy wanted to be a yankee for life, he would have accepted there offer...plain and simple...

Then this is a conversation to have if the Yankees are 10 games out at the All-Star break...not in early March. Something tells me that you'll be singing a different tune come July if the Yankees are in 1st place and Cano is raking.

And this whole "if he wanted to be a Yankee" thing is silly. Cano is one of the premier players in all of baseball and one of very few who has a chance to get a $200 million dollar deal. Cano doesn't owe the Yankees a hometown discount, he has a right to do whatever he wants. And the Yankees aren't going to ship him out of town because he hurt their feelings by turning down their offer. They will do what they think is best for their franchise.

No he doesn't, but it sure says alot....7 yrs@27mil....if that doesn't say something, well then I guess I just don't know....I truely hope we are right there in the middle of the season, but I know when to be real about my team, and not just give them anything just cause they are the yankees....I hope u are right
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 201)

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:16 pm

First, I havent heard the actual numbers that were or were not offered to Cano, so lets not get too worked up. Second, when was the last time a player took the first offer that a team made. It would be silly just to take whatever the Yankees offered. In no way do I take it as a sign that he "doesn't want to be a Yankee".
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 pm

lol...now tex is gone 8-10 weeks......lol
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Lucky to finish 4th? :-?

The Yankees are favored to win the division. In fact, PECOTA projected them to win the East with 88 wins, Tampa to win 84 and Toronto and Boston with 83 each. Could NY finish in 4th? Of course. But they could just as easily finish in 1st. The division is wide open this year and no team looks particularly dominant. The playoffs are a crapshoot, anyone can beat anyone. And it's not as if the Angels, Tigers, Rangers or anyone else in the AL is invincible. The entire league is beatable.

And how can you say "it looks that way for the next 3 years or so" when almost the entire roster is turning over after this year? Aside from A-Rod, Teixiera and Sabathia, the 2013 Yankees are no indicator of what the 2014 or 2015 Yankees will look like. This isn't a team that was hamstrung like Boston was before the mega-deal last year.

Well I assume that PECOTA projection was before Teixera and Granderson got hurt.

You realize the opening day lineup is likely going to be

1B Dan Johnson
2B Cano
3B Youk
DH Hafner
SS Nunez (or a still recovering Jeter)
LF Rivera
CF Gardner
RF Ichiro
C Stewart

There is no way that is as good as Toronto or Tampa, and will likely need to battle Baltimore for third place. Hafner and Youkilis are hardly iron-men at this point in their careers. This could very well be a team with Dan Johnson batting cleanup.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:44 pm

toledomudhens wrote:lol...now tex is gone 8-10 weeks......lol

Just saw this as well. i dont take it as a sign they are getting too old, just a sign that they(and their gm) have been incredibly unlucky this past year. Who's next? Cano? CC?
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:
toledomudhens wrote:lol...now tex is gone 8-10 weeks......lol

Just saw this as well. i dont take it as a sign they are getting too old, just a sign that they(and their gm) have been incredibly unlucky this past year. Who's next? Cano? CC?

Yes some of these injuries are unlucky, but how can u not call them old....please show me our youth on the team please...
cause our best player is 30 right now and will be 31 when he starts his NEW contract.... :-t
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Hey Toledo. The team isnt very young, this is true, but the rash of injuries in the last year or so has been unreal. first Mo, then Petite and Jeter. Now Granderson and Cashmans bones are broken. And Tex is now out 8-10 weeks because of a pop in his wrist. It just seems like a lot of broken bones to their core players in a short period of time.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 33)

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:37 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:Hey Toledo. The team isnt very young, this is true, but the rash of injuries in the last year or so has been unreal. first Mo, then Petite and Jeter. Now Granderson and Cashmans bones are broken. And Tex is now out 8-10 weeks because of a pop in his wrist. It just seems like a lot of broken bones to their core players in a short period of time.

Hey pal, totally agree alot of freak injuries, but thats not what i've been arguing on my side...I am just saying we are old, we have bad contracts, and now our owners want to get to a certain salary...Where is our cutch, or haper, trout or stanton....we have nobody like that because we used to trade them all away....but I say with the team as it is right now, cannot compete with atleast 7 teams in the MLB nevermind there own division....Those other teams are younger and set up for a good 2-4 yrs....All I have been saying is we cannot give another 200 million contract, we already regret the big deals we have right now, trade him and get some top young talent....but it has to be to a team that has the prospects and the $$$$$....3 teams come to mind....nationals, texas, and dodgers(no more propects)...I don't even know anymore, i just see this year being a real long season....can't wait to play the astros....lol....lol
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 pm

toledomudhens wrote:Where is our cutch, or haper, trout or stanton....

His name is Cano, he plays 2B.

we have nobody like that because we used to trade them all away....

Who have the Yankees traded away that became a McCutchen, Trout, Stanton or Harper? Austin Jackson? Ian Kennedy? Hardly. Montero might become a star but the Yankees got Pineda back for him. He hasn't worked out yet due to injuries but that doesn't mean he won't.

but I say with the team as it is right now, cannot compete with atleast 7 teams in the MLB nevermind there own division....

This is silly.

Those other teams are younger and set up for a good 2-4 yrs....

Trading Robinson Cano is not going to stock the farm system with Mike Trouts and Bryce Harpers. I'm not sure what you're advocating. Yes the Yankees are old. No it should not hinder them far into the future because almost every old player they have is under contract for only 2013. If they go out after 2013 and 2014 and blow their money on more guys age 33 and over, you'll have a legitimate gripe. Right now I don't exactly understand what you want them to do. You don't want them to sign big expensive contracts (which they haven't) and you don't want them to piece together a team with bargain guys while the farm system develops (which they have.) You can't just blink your eyes and add elite, major-league ready talent to the organization. The Yankees have assembled a team good enough to compete in 2013 without mortgaging their future by depleting the farm system or locking themselves in with long contracts.

All I have been saying is we cannot give another 200 million contract, we already regret the big deals we have right now, trade him and get some top young talent....but it has to be to a team that has the prospects and the $$$$$....3 teams come to mind....nationals, texas, and dodgers(no more propects)...I don't even know anymore, i just see this year being a real long season....can't wait to play the astros....lol....lol

No team is going to trade top young talent for a 3-month rental of a guy who has already turned down $27ish million per year and is actively seeking the free agent market with Scott Boras as his agent. And even if you got a top prospect in return for him, that doesn't exactly solve any of the other problems you're talking about.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers