2013 New York Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 New York Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 New York Yankees

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 am

toledomudhens wrote:possibley, 70-75 wins, but like i said, we make these trades, get the young prospects, draft picks so when we have a chance to make a trade like the jays did this year we will be able too take on some $$$, plus we will still have yougsters ready to go....I know this all sound too easy and it never works out that way, but I would give it a try and see where you are in 2-3 yrs, and give pineda the strasburg treatment for 2 yrs...whats the worst that can happen, were younger, were under the "cap" and we can sign a free agent or two, or make a mega deal without breaking the farm system....who knows, I just know that if we go the route I think there going to go, we will be having this same convo in 4 yrs when cano is not that 25 mil a season player.....

The problem is Cashman and Mark Newman would not know a prospect if it hit them on the head.

Number of #1 or #2 SPs developed by the Yankee farm system since 1996: 0 (unless you want to count Kennedy, which will make it 1).

And it is not like they bring up a lot of position players either. Outside of the occassional International FA signing, it amounts to a very little the past 10 or so years (Gardner, Cano, Montero and what else?). Their AAA team is weak. Their top two pitching prospects from a year ago both flamed out badly last season. Pineda was traded for and promptly blew out his arm.

So what makes anyone think this group will make wise trades for prospects now?

In a couple of years, there is going to be virtually no one left from today's team. Cano is a FA and likely is going to walk since he turned down a huge 7 year deal already. Jeter will retire. Granderson will be gone. Suzuki, Youkilis, hafner et. al. are all on 1 or 2 year deals. Tex will be around through 2016. Arod they are stuck with through 2017. And Gardner is around for awhile. On the pitching side, it is CC, Nova, Robertson and ?????? Kuroda is getting old. Hughes is going to walk (good riddance). Pettitte will retire along with Mo.

Yes they should have money to add free agents, but with ace SPs going for $25 million a year if you can find one and top hitters going for the same more or less, there are not a lot of players you can spend on and stay within $189 million when you already have to pay CC, Tex and Arod combined about 67.5 M annually though 2016. And to make matters worse, you likely will have to pay someone else to play 3b.

Imo, the Steinbrenner's are trying to make as much money as they can and looking to sell the team in the next year or two. They already sold 49% of the Yes network. I think it is just a matter of time.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 665)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:57 am

I'm still loving every second of this.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:24 am

bigh0rt wrote:I'm still loving every second of this.

So do I. After that post about failing with prospects, I had to check and make sure this thread wasn't about my Orioles.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers