2013 New York Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 New York Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 New York Yankees

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 am

Rolen still has the defensive chops and anything they can do to limit Youk's time at 3B is going to be good for his health.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 am

Perhaps they can glue Youk/Rolen/ARod together and get a full season at 3B...
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 518)

Postby toledomudhens » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 am

kab21 wrote:Perhaps they can glue Youk/Rolen/ARod together and get a full season at 3B...

Love this comment, agree 100%.... ;-D ;-D ;-D
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 234)

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Just for fun... :-D

When I look at the Yankees of the spring of 2013, I see the Yankees of 1989 all over again. The pattern is strikingly similar. The trend is disturbing if you’re a Yankees fan.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... e-yankees/
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rib217 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Brennan Boesch joins the Yankees

What significance does this play for his fantasy value?
Is it a good move in real life for the Yankees?
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

rib217 wrote:Brennan Boesch joins the Yankees

What significance does this play for his fantasy value?
Is it a good move in real life for the Yankees?

Mostly insignificant unless you are in 20+ tm leagues. He's a role player that could see some starts early in the season.

The problem the Yankees face is that for the 1-2 months until Tex and Granderson come back is that they have very little offense. A sub .500 record looks pretty likely in apr/may.

Elite hitters - Cano
Good hitters - Ichiro, Jeter and Gardner (these all have ? marks)
Average at best hitter - Youk and Haf
Poor hitters - C/1B/LF and the frequent subs at 3B/DH

These are not the Bronx Bombers any more.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Youk is a lot better than average at best. At best, he's a 4-5 WAR corner infielder. Even last year when he took a big step back he was a much better hitter than Ichiro, who has been a well below league average hitter for the past 2 seasons. I know everybody is predicting a magical return to four-seasons-ago form from the 40 year old whose value is tied to his legs, but I don't see it happening. At least not nearly to the extent most people do.

If the Yankees are going to have a good season, it will be Youkilis and Cano carrying them. That's a pretty scary thought, but Teix and A-Rod are write-offs. Jeter had a great year last year, after 2 years that seemed to have him riding off into the sunset, but is a danger of being an empty .290 batting average with bad defense, assuming his ankle is 100%. Gardner is also a huge asset but that mostly comes from his elite defense.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 527)

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:18 am

Okay. Downgrade Ichiro and Gardner to avg at best and upgrade Youk to very good with ? marks. The point still stands.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 am

Skin Blues wrote:Youk is a lot better than average at best. At best, he's a 4-5 WAR corner infielder. Even last year when he took a big step back he was a much better hitter than Ichiro, who has been a well below league average hitter for the past 2 seasons. I know everybody is predicting a magical return to four-seasons-ago form from the 40 year old whose value is tied to his legs, but I don't see it happening. At least not nearly to the extent most people do.

If the Yankees are going to have a good season, it will be Youkilis and Cano carrying them. That's a pretty scary thought, but Teix and A-Rod are write-offs. Jeter had a great year last year, after 2 years that seemed to have him riding off into the sunset, but is a danger of being an empty .290 batting average with bad defense, assuming his ankle is 100%. Gardner is also a huge asset but that mostly comes from his elite defense.

Youkilis is not anywhere near the 4 to 5 WAR third baseman that he was in his prime. First his power has been trending downwards: .257 to .202 to .174. Second: his walk rate in 2012 after years of being steady over 13%, dropped to 10.0%. His GB% has been trending upward: 33.9 %, 34.6 %, 37.0 %, 42.9 %. While his flyball% has been trending downward: 44.2 %, 44.3 %, 46.7 %, 38.2 %, 36.3 %. In all that means fewer walks, fewer home runs, that his batting average will not bound back much. His defense, which was a strength in his prime (at first) is now well below average. I would not expect more than a 2.5 WAR from Youkilis.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

thedude wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Youk is a lot better than average at best. At best, he's a 4-5 WAR corner infielder. Even last year when he took a big step back he was a much better hitter than Ichiro, who has been a well below league average hitter for the past 2 seasons. I know everybody is predicting a magical return to four-seasons-ago form from the 40 year old whose value is tied to his legs, but I don't see it happening. At least not nearly to the extent most people do.

Youkilis is not anywhere near the 4 to 5 WAR third baseman that he was in his prime. First his power has been trending downwards: .257 to .202 to .174. Second: his walk rate in 2012 after years of being steady over 13%, dropped to 10.0%. His GB% has been trending upward: 33.9 %, 34.6 %, 37.0 %, 42.9 %. While his flyball% has been trending downward: 44.2 %, 44.3 %, 46.7 %, 38.2 %, 36.3 %. In all that means fewer walks, fewer home runs, that his batting average will not bound back much. His defense, which was a strength in his prime (at first) is now well below average. I would not expect more than a 2.5 WAR from Youkilis.

Neither would I. I didn't say I expect 4-5 WAR, I said that was a best case scenario. He's till their second best hitter behind Cano. And if the Yanks are gonna succeed, Youk will have to be a major contributor.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 527)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers