2013 New York Yankees - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 New York Yankees

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2013 New York Yankees

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am

What do you guys think they need to do? As a die hard yankee fan I personally think they need to blow this team up as much as possable.Thay have too much money they can't get rid of, and there best player wants to go to free agency so he can get pujols money. Blow it up ala Red Sox last year...But who and where are the best places for them to deal with?...Just looking for different views from other fans of the game....thanks boys.
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 199)
Home Cafe: Baseball

2013 New York Yankees

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:01 pm

There isn't much to blow up really. The majority of the team only has 1-2 years left on their deals. Granderson is done this year and likely on his way out. Kuroda, Pettitte and Rivera are all on 1-year deals and will all probably be gone next year. Youkilis has 1 year. Ichiro has 2. Jeter has a 2014 player option for $8m. The Yankees aren't really hampered by a ton of long-term big money deals. The problem is that the few they have are quite bad.

A-Rod
Teixeira
Sabathia

CC is fine but will turn into an albatross at some point in the next few years in all likelihood. Teixeira is clearly on a decline and is signed through 2016, so that's clearly an issue. And we all know how horrendous the A-Rod contract is and will continue to be. The problem is they can't do anything about it. If you find a team willing to eat even half that contract, let me know. Actually let Brian Cashman know, I'm sure he'd love to hear it.

Cano is going to get his money and there's really nothing that can be done about it. You either break the bank and keep the new face of the franchise or you let your best player leave and rebuild. I know the Yankees are being more fiscally constrained than usual, but that isn't their way.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Re: 2013 New York Yankees

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12 pm

The only players signed beyond 2013 are ARod, Tex, Sabathia and Ichiro.
No one is going to trade for Arod or Tex unless the Yankees eat the contracts. Those are sunk costs.
Sabathia is expensive but that is the going rate for an ace. Options to trade him seem limited given the contract.
Ichiro is only signed thru 2014 getting $6.5 million a year.
Jeter has an $8 million player option.

Everyone else is a FA. It seems like they are blowing it up to me.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm

I guess I was refering more to the cano situation....rumar has it he turned down 7 years @ 27 mill a year....just a rumer, my friend said ha heard on tv....If he truley wanted to e a yankee for life, he would have said thank u very much and lets play some ball.But boras will never let him not hit free agancy.....Do we trade him, or do we let him walk, cause there is no way we can give him what he wants...I would trade him and try to get some real good youth, but I am having a hard time thinking of a team that woulfd give the yanks that much for a rental...
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 pm

You can't trade him IMO. Isn't that like waving the white flag on the 2013 season?
And yes the Yankees can afford to give him whatever he wants. It probably isn't a good idea but no team has more resources than the Yankees.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

2013 New York Yankees

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:You can't trade him IMO. Isn't that like waving the white flag on the 2013 season?
And yes the Yankees can afford to give him whatever he wants. It probably isn't a good idea but no team has more resources than the Yankees.

Exactly. As sketchy as the Yankees look on paper, they're still as strong or stronger than anyone else in that division for 2013. And even if they found themselves floundering by the trade deadline, Cano isn't going anywhere. I know they're trying to be more fiscally conservative, but I would be genuinely shocked if Cano signs anywhere but New York.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kimbos Beard » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:53 pm

They have been building to 2015 in terms of spending. They are looking to get under the 189 million mark for 2014 so they can reset their luxury tax and then presumably start spending big again. On top of that there best prospects are in the lower minor league system. So I guess they look at it as a perfect storm going into 2015.

Their old, but It seems their strategy is to just roll the dice with the old guys that they can catch lightning in a bottle with a few of these guys like they have been doing with guys like Ibanez, Colon, at a time Andruw Jones.

Their really isn't anything to blow up.

As far as Cano, I think they will give him his money, probably structuring it so it doesnt affect their cap plans in 2014.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:01 pm

I was thinking more about this.
Say the Yankee's miss the playoffs in 2013 are they really going to dial it down for the 2014 season? Doesn't that hurt their image/brand more than the luxury tax? Or is that all forgotten when they start spending again in 2015?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:13 pm

"THE BRAND" died when george died, these brothers are runing everything....as a die hard yankee fan i want nothing more than too see cano in our lineup for the next 7 years.But bad contracts and this mentality that the brothers have of the luxury tax threshold, are going to really make signing cano to a deal he and boras want.....it hurts me to say it so much....But we need to trade him to a contenter, and get some serious talented youngsters ready to go....we cant keep going with jeter, ichiro, youk, arod, tex.....there old age pensions are about to kick in any time now....we need a 3 year plan...but agaiin...who could trade for him? who has the prospects?
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:21 pm

toledomudhens wrote:"THE BRAND" died when george died, these brothers are runing everything....as a die hard yankee fan i want nothing more than too see cano in our lineup for the next 7 years.But bad contracts and this mentality that the brothers have of the luxury tax threshold, are going to really make signing cano to a deal he and boras want.....it hurts me to say it so much....But we need to trade him to a contenter, and get some serious talented youngsters ready to go....we cant keep going with jeter, ichiro, youk, arod, tex.....there old age pensions are about to kick in any time now....we need a 3 year plan...but agaiin...who could trade for him? who has the prospects?

I think it's ironic you say the brand died with George and then condemn Hal for bad contracts. George was the king of bad contracts and the last championship the Yankees won was built by Hal and Cashman, not George. If anything I think the Yankees are in much better hands with Hal and Cashman running the show than they ever were with George calling the shots (provided this spending cut is indeed temporary.)

You're calling for a 3-year plan but that is exactly what KimbosBeard described above. Three of the five players you just mentioned have 2 or less years on their deals. Dumping A-Rod and Tex is fine in theory but pretty much an impossibility. Your only suggestion seems to be to get rid of Cano...maybe the only guy on the team worth paying big money. And that's not to say whatever contract he gets will be great for its' duration...it likely will become a bad deal down the road like most other 6+ year contracts. But that's the price of doing business, and the Yankees are the last team in the world who should complain about it since they are the least affected by it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers