Ricky Romero sucks, deal with it... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ricky Romero sucks, deal with it...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ricky Romero sucks, deal with it...

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Ok well in an AL only I can see value. I was talking more mixed. I wouldn't touch Buehrle in that park even if the Yankees offense will be bad this year so the division isn't as daunting~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Ender wrote:Sure he might turn in a Zito year but that isn't valuable either.

No, this is not true. If you can get 11-13 wins, say 5-6 K's an outing, and are allowed to spot start Romero at the end of your rotation, then that is valuable based on one's situation. It's isn't sexy, safe, or indicative of a smarter pick than some other guy who can do the same job at the same risk, but it's still handy to have at the end of a rotation. Plus, there's always that 'if he's done it before ...' thought, where despite all the sabermetric evidence, pitch evaluation, and other analysis (or over-analysis), he can pull a Zito and be a serviceable back end starter on a solid team. Romero at least has some small things going for him regardless of risk, whereas a guy like Luke Hochevar is utterly dead to me. In a deep league, and obviously in an AL league, Romero is a draftable flier late.

Now, granted, if he does start off strong as a late pick in a draft you make every effort to try and flip him for a small profit. Even that small profit in the short term is valuable. If he pulls off a decent enough season with Burnett-like ratios then that is also modestly valuable.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:49 pm

There are 4 starters in Toronto that should be taken before him.
They also have plenty of worthy guys who want his job with JA Happ and Drew Hutchinson waiting in the wings in triple A and a healty Dustin McGowan in long relief. This is make or break for Ricky.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Wait, who ever thought Romero didnt suck?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Yeah I don't know what prompted this. There aren't very many people drafting him this season, and I've never been a fan of his for fantasy baseball even before the 2012 meltdown. He also pitched through multiple injuries last season despite avoiding the DL. He had elbow surgery after the season was over and has ongoing issues with both of his knees.

Romero admitted he pitched through an unusual soreness on the outside of his elbow through most of the season, but said he wasn’t sure if it caused his poor performance.

As for Toronto's defense, it's pretty good. We won't be seeing the four biggest defensive sink-holes this season (Kelly Johnson, Edwin Encarnacion, Eric Thames, Rajai Davis) unless there are major injuries.
Mookie4ever wrote:There are 4 starters in Toronto that should be taken before him.
They also have plenty of worthy guys who want his job with JA Happ and Drew Hutchinson waiting in the wings in triple A and a healty Dustin McGowan in long relief. This is make or break for Ricky.

Hutch will almost certainly not see any time on the MLB roster (maybe not even in the minors, actually) in 2013. He had TJ surgery at the end of last season. Also, there is no such thing as a healthy Dustin McGowan. He's toast. Happ is the only current threat to Romero. I think they really want Ricky to succeed though. They have him under contract through 2016 so they'll give him every chance to succeed. Also, Happ has options left so they can keep him on a regular starting schedule in the minors, whereas Romero would have to go to the bullpen if he's not in the MLB rotation. Would be a last resort after a DL stint, probably.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby OBPlover » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Though I agree with Romero's overall assessment, The RC is considerably easier on LHP than RHP and it reverted to being a middle of the pack stadium effect in 2012. There is really no Fundamental reason why RC evolved into a major hitters' park in previous years. They didn't change dimensions.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:There are 4 starters in Toronto that should be taken before him.

Hutch will almost certainly not see any time on the MLB roster (maybe not even in the minors, actually) in 2013. He had TJ surgery at the end of last season. Also, there is no such thing as a healthy Dustin McGowan. He's toast. Happ is the only current threat to Romero. I think they really want Ricky to succeed though. They have him under contract through 2016 so they'll give him every chance to succeed. Also, Happ has options left so they can keep him on a regular starting schedule in the minors, whereas Romero would have to go to the bullpen if he's not in the MLB rotation. Would be a last resort after a DL stint, probably.

I'm talking long term options. Happ, Hutch, Drabek and McGowan are all MLB starters behind Rickey. Dustin threw off a mound yesterday and it's expected that he will make the team. Romero was the nominal ace last year but with the depth now in the organization there is no reason we have to put up with a 180 innings of crap like he gave us last year. On a team with these expectations is on a much shorter leash and he would be replaced by Happ or McGowan for this year with Hutch or Drabek taking his rotation spot in the future.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 pm

bayside wrote:Wait, who ever thought Romero didnt suck?

Listening to podcasts mostly~ I hear his name come up a lot as a sleeper.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bayside » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:27 pm

well to be fair, he does appear to be asleep most of the time hes pitching
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 pm

The Jays appear to agree with you. They just optioned him to High-A ball.... 8-o
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers