Pick help. Am I neglecting my rotation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pick help. Am I neglecting my rotation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick help. Am I neglecting my rotation?

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm in a 10 team H2H standard 5x5 scoring league. It's a keeper league where we keep 3-5 players each year. Right now we are doing rounds 6-8 offline before the full draft in three weeks. I am on the clock but am unsure what direction to go in. Here is my team:

C-
1B - Votto
2B - Kinsler
SS - Zobrist
3B - Cabrera
OF - Holliday
OF - Cespedes
OF -
UTL -

Sp - Shields
Sp -
Sp -
Rp -
Rp -
P -

We have 10 bench spots so pitching seems to be pretty highly valued each year. Our draft has been somewhat unusual so far as there has been 25 total pitchers taken thusfar. The top remaining pitchers according to ADP are Gallardo, Zimmerman, Morrow, Kennedy, Johnson, Lincecum, Peavy, Samardzija, Haren, Lester. Since pitching has been going so often I have sat back and tried filling my position players first. I grabbed Shields last round so I would have a somewhat respectable starter, but I'm wondering if by the way pitching is going do I HAVE to take a starter at this point? My philosophy in a 10 team league is try and get pitching late. If I go pitching I am inclined to take Gallardo, but I don't think he's really an 8th round pick.

Right now I'm more inclined to take Bourn or Choo and fill out my OF. All of the top catchers, minus Posey are available as well. But I'm concerned I may be waiting too long on pitching based on how many SP's are being taken. Like I said, it's 5x5 standard scoring so pitching doesn't help me anymore than hitting. Who should be favored between Bourn and Choo? Or should I completely scrap going with OF and take pitching?

As always, leave a link and WHIR. Thanks in advance!
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pick help. Am I neglecting my rotation?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:57 pm

I'd go with Choo.
Wait on C with only one catcher per team and 10 teams. The 10th best catcher this year isn't that bad.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby plamb23 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 pm

I completely agree. go with Choo

I like what you have done here. Pitching can always be found, and I like the last few of those Ps that you listed. I like Samardzija and Lester this year and Shields is a fine number one.

Keep grabbing those bats
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 275)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Choo or Bourn is the way to go though I'd probably go with a 25/20 Choo since you have some other combo players as well.

You can wait on piyching for now and get Napoli/Rosario/even McCann in a few rounds.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1936)

Postby redsoxflyfishr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Choo has been my preference. I really like his potential going to Cincy hitting in that lineup. I just needed a few people to agree with me. Thanks again.
redsoxflyfishr
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby fsbarren » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:59 am

Normally I'd agree with Choo at this point, but if pitchers are going unusually fast in this league I think you also to adjust accordingly. If you're not careful you might end up with a staff that offsets the strength of your hitting. It looks like you took advantage of the early run pitching to build a solid hitting lineup but now you're betting against the trend.

At most, I'd grab Choo and then try to get one (preferably two) of the SPs you listed, hopefully the guys on the front end (you don't want to end up with too many risk/reward guys in case they go south).
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions