DO YOU KEEP A BACKUP CATCHER? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DO YOU KEEP A BACKUP CATCHER?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DO YOU KEEP A BACKUP CATCHER?

Postby softballjenny » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:27 am

This is only my second year playing fantasy baseball. Last year, I had a lot of unused innings in my catcher slot. Does it pay off to use one of the roster spots for a Backup Catcher?
Right now, I'm in the situation where I have Craig Wilson and am considering dropping him for Jason Phillips. In a situation like the above, should Wilson be kept as backup???
The hitter asks the owner to give him a big raise so he can go somewhere he's never been, and the owner says "You mean third base?"
-Henny Youngman-
softballjenny
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Land of 10,000 Lakes - You Betcha - "Minnesota"

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:47 am

I wouldn't worry about it w/ Phillips as he appears likely to be playing most of the time and is not the Mets' full-time catcher.

A lot of catchers take a lot of time off, due to the natural wear and tear of playing the position. They'll be platooned and you may be able to figure out when they'll sit and when they won't but it is EXTREMELY challenging to get a backup whose schedule will fit in w/ the starter's schedule as this involves two different teams and who they are playing and all that. I think your best bet is to get somebody...like Phillips...who plays elsewhere and is less likely to get worn out so they aren't always sitting.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bryan1327 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:16 am

For me it depends on the type of league I am in. If it is for daily changes I like to have that extra catcher to use. In one league I have LeCroy and Phillips...In a league that is weekly I feel carrying two catchers is worthless, for no rotation. In those leagues I like to try to grab a multy player that can play catcher. In that league I have LeCroy there.

As you can see for my catcher spots I like to see if I can get the every day type player in either type of league... B-)
bryan1327
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: at home listening to hair metal...scouring the internet for baseball stuff

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:44 am

The only time I usually have a backup catcher is in very deep leagues, or if I don't have a lot of confidence in my starter and if the backup is worth hanging onto without the other options being much better (ie. Craig Wilson, has good potential and eligible at 1B,OF in an emergency). But usually, I just take whatever my one catcher I do have gives me.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby titanut » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:21 am

Assuming you are in a daily league, I would keep a backup like
Wilson or Phillips. They primarily play another position and should
be perfect to plug in on the full time catchers traditional day off-
day game after night game. Phillips is the safer bet to play everyday, but Wilson has more potential.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quickfingerz » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:28 pm

I do and when I have two Util positions or more I'll draft 2 good catchers. This way I can get an extra 25 games at catcher.

In my big league I have lopez and pudge. I took lopez but pudge fell so far that I couldn't say no.
The key to Fantasy Sports is NOT about Sports but rather the "manipulation of numbers" in your favor

MASTER THOSE NUMBERS
quickfingerz
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers