Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby rjforlife » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:59 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:A-Rod seems to be nearly finished, but Grandy and Cano having 50 games off? Rut roh

I kinda don't believe it'll be JUST these guys.
I just purchased Sabathia in an auction, and I'm not liking my chances with three Yankees caught already :-o

Grandy was gonna miss 30+ anyways so it's not as bad as it would have been. Still looks pretty bad for the Yanks if this comes to fruition.

I hear that if you are on the DL, that doesn't count for your suspended games, the Yanks would have to carry Arod/Cano/Granderson all on their 40 man roster to effectively eliminate the suspensions by game 51. If Granderson is on the DL, he'd have to serve an additional 50 games once he comes off the DL. This is only what I heard, I cannot substantiate it.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 771)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:00 am

rjforlife wrote:I hear that if you are on the DL, that doesn't count for your suspended games, the Yanks would have to carry Arod/Cano/Granderson all on their 40 man roster to effectively eliminate the suspensions by game 51. If Granderson is on the DL, he'd have to serve an additional 50 games once he comes off the DL. This is only what I heard, I cannot substantiate it.

Ya, that's incorrect. Days on the DL count toward your suspension.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby BChinly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:19 am

Izenhart wrote:Wonder if Cano is even worth holding onto in a 1 year keeper now.

Cano would still be allowed to play 112 games
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 124)

Postby jcook3127 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 am

PEDs shouldn't matter at all.............

They have long since ruined the integrity of the game...it's time to just accept it and let the chips fall where they may..you are only ruining the competitive balance at this point by assuming a few select players are the only ones 'cheating'...it's an embarrassment, really...

Just play baseball...chalk steroids up to different training regimens.
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Izenhart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:28 am

jcook3127 wrote:PEDs shouldn't matter at all.............

They have long since ruined the integrity of the game...it's time to just accept it and let the chips fall where they may..you are only ruining the competitive balance at this point by assuming a few select players are the only ones 'cheating'...it's an embarrassment, really...

Just play baseball...chalk steroids up to different training regimens.

As stated, when the media embraces this philosophy, this will die down and be a thing of the past. Baseball will be like football where it's just another expectation on the players and not something to get in trouble over.

Weather or not this actually happens we shall see, but for now we are stuck with sweating out fantasy picks and crying over losing players to our home teams when we all know everyone else is cheating too.

David Ortiz is my favorite ballplayer and I couldn't give two poops if he's on anything. I'd be on them too with millions of $ on the line.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:10 am

mweir145 wrote:MLB needs to sweep this under the rug. Both for the sake of my fantasy team and to preserve the idea that the "PED era" is over.

My thoughts exactly. More so for my keeper league, without Cano/Braun 2013 will be a lost season for me.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:16 am

Also I'm suprised these are the only names mentioned. I would assume that not only superstars(except for Arod) would be the only ones caught in any type of wide screening. You would have to think that few bench guys/middle relievers/struggling position players would be getting suspended as well. Well, I am hoping either none of these guys gets suspended(for personal fantasy purposes) or like 30 mlb players get caught up in this.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:11 am

I'm in the go big or go home camp...I'd rather they go big, with 1 or 2 year suspensions on first offense and a ban or something on a second offense, but am fine if they just ignore it all and let it happen(like football). Either way, what they are doing now just isn't working at all and makes the whole MLB look bad.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:19 am

8-o

I'll believe it when I see it.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 am

not really a credible source. the guy had Melky last year, but that's not a reach to have predicated that. other than Melky, has he reported anything? had he not been right about Melky last year, this news would be absolutely nothing.

he/they wrote another article here.
http://daps.tv/more-info-about-the-rumo ... and-braun/
WTF Just Happened? Did DAPS Break a Sports Story?

Yesterday afternoon I got a text that read “Guess which four MLB players are about to be suspended for PEDs?” The same source who provided me with the Melky Cabrera suspension news last year was now providing the names of four of baseball’s elite players, including three Yankees. I tweeted it, and instantly DAPS editor Chris’ head exploded. He wrote up a post about my tweets which instantly became the biggest sports post we’ve ever had on Dog and Pony Show.

At the time of this posting the original article had been re-tweeted 54 times and had over 400 Facebook likes. Someone put it up on Reddit/MLB and it was the number one trending post on there. My Twitter followers quadrupled, including a lot of people who were very upset with me. Some questioned the validity of my “source” and one person even said I should be ashamed if this isn’t true. The most common response other than “wow” was something along the lines of “why should we listen to you, you have no credibility?”

You guys are all right, I have no credibility. I can’t even name my source for you. One of the worst things about the internet is that any idiot can write any nonsense and post it as “news”. I wouldn’t have even read my own story unless it got picked up by ESPN or Yahoo or some other reputable sports website. I’m not a journalist. I’m not fuckin’ Peter Gammons, or Buster Olney. I’m a guy who took one journalism class 100 years ago in college. When I write about sports here on DAPS I’m exclusively writing editorial pieces meant to amuse other people like me and hopefully provide them with a take on stuff they haven’t heard before. The most popular feature I write includes a picture of an attractive woman at the end so that people will actually read it.

But that doesn’t mean I’m not right. We have no business running this story, we aren’t Yahoo or ESPN or even Deadspin. We are just a bunch of dudes from Staten Island who stumbled into a chance to tell people about the biggest story in baseball before anyone else. We are much more qualified to post cat videos, Kate Upton pictures or shit about Jurassic Park. But fuck it, we work really hard on this site and if this is how people are going to discover our little ol’ site then so be it.

Lets look at each guy individually and see if there is any other circumstantial evidence to support our claims.

Robinson Cano: By far the most interesting name on this list. For starters, his name had been floated out there in September and the story got picked up by both the Sporting News and Deadspin. Most of the Cano suspicion arises from the same two arbitrary criteria we seem to use to indict anyone of steroid use; he used to be small and got big and hit home runs and he hung around with a known PED user. There’s nothing to address in the first one. Sometimes guys are small and then their bodies fill out because they work out and eat right and they hit a lot of home runs playing in the equivalent of a little league stadium with a jet stream. The latter point is interesting. Cano and Melky Cabrera were supposedly best friends, so much so that the Yankees had to trade Melky because he was a bad influence on Cano. It is certainly plausible to think that their friendship wasn’t all karate in the garage and bunk beds, that maybe it included sharing trainers and supplements or whatnot.

Ryan Braun: The most obvious name on the list. Braun failed a drug test once before and got off on a technicality. If Braun is found to have failed again nobody would even bat an eyelash. The only question would then be whether Braun was so arrogant to believe he could get away with it again or if the MLB drug testing system is flawed to the point where Ryan Braun is just failing all the time because of his natural levels of testosterone. I do know this, if Braun somehow manages to get off on a technicality again; ALL the people who work for the third party testing center will be fired.

Curtis Granderson: The most surprising name on the list. Granderson has no prior connection to PEDs other than a huge jump in home run rate 2 years ago. I don’t even know what to think about this one so lets move on.

Alex Rodriguez: Hahahaha. It’s sad to think that the legacy A-Rod is going to leave behind is not that of the greatest shortstop ever, but that of baseball’s most famous cheat. He publicly acknowledged taking steroids after about the millionth time his name came up in various leaked reports. His body broke down and his play substantially declined right around the time MLB starting stricter testing. This 50 game suspension could be the icing on the retribution cake that is the baseball writers hatred of those associated with PEDs. Former players can’t even make the Hall of Fame if someone spotted some bacne on them 20 years ago. A-Rod’s laundry list of offenses will almost certainly result in no induction for one of baseball’s 50 greatest players.

So there it is, there’s the list and the story behind it. In a month from now we’ll see if we’re proven correct. If not, well then fuck it, we’ll go back to posting videos of Kate Upton playing with kittens.

for the Yankees this is huge.
ARod could already be gone for the year regardless.
Granderson is injured now, but not expected to miss too much time.
Cano. ouch, he's the best Yankees player right now.

I have a question. I don't think this has been a situation before. but if these players are suspended, could they/the Yankees split when they are suspended? like say Granderson takes his 50 from the beginning of the season. could Cano take his say during the middle of the season? or do they all have to be suspended right from when they get suspended? I know there can be an appeal, but an appeal doesn't take long to happen.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers