Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:32 am

J35J wrote:
mweir145 wrote:It's arguable. Wagner played like 100 years ago. Great among his peers in that era, but the level of baseball has undoubtedly improved since that time.

Yeah, and his peers came from a tiny player pool as well...I almost can't take anything seriously from that long ago, it's just not the same.

I don't know, I've never seen any break on a ball as quickly as Wagner did. Also, the way he made solid contact with every swing was just amazing.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 183)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
J35J wrote:
mweir145 wrote:It's arguable. Wagner played like 100 years ago. Great among his peers in that era, but the level of baseball has undoubtedly improved since that time.

Yeah, and his peers came from a tiny player pool as well...I almost can't take anything seriously from that long ago, it's just not the same.

I don't know, I've never seen any break on a ball as quickly as Wagner did. Also, the way he made solid contact with every swing was just amazing.

Yeah, and they faced like 10 pitchers all season since they threw the same guys over and over and there were like half the number of teams. I'm also of the belief that most of those pitchers probably sat in the low 80mph range as there is no way they'd survive the 300-400IP totals they put up those years and pitching games every other day or starting both games of double headers, etc if they were throwing 95mph or pitching at 90%+ effort every time out.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:34 am

J35J wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
J35J wrote:

Yeah, and they faced like 10 pitchers all season since they threw the same guys over and over and there were like half the number of teams. I'm also of the belief that most of those pitchers probably sat in the low 80mph range as there is no way they'd survive the 300-400IP totals they put up those years and pitching games every other day or starting both games of double headers, etc if they were throwing 95mph or pitching at 90%+ effort every time out.

I don't know about most, but there were some bad regulars that would probably make Jamie Moyer's fastball look good. Some of the top talent was still top talent though, stats inflated due to bad competition compared to today, sure, but some of those old gunners could throw 100mph or close.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:06 pm

J35J wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
J35J wrote:

I hope we understand that I was being facetious as neither i nor anyone have ever actually seen honus Wagner hit or field a ball.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 183)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:21 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
J35J wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

I hope we understand that I was being facetious as neither i nor anyone have ever actually seen honus Wagner hit or field a ball.

Really? I just assumed you were 157 years old or something.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:18 pm

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... inaccurate

Look at the latest article to just get an idea of how they are spinning this.

Here is an early quote from the article

asked about players connected to him through documents and sources -- including Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and Melky Cabrera -- Bosch said, "I said no comment on any names. These are my clients. I am not going to divulge anything of my clients."

Then buried right at the end of the document you get this...

"I just answered a few questions from his legal team, not from Braun or any other ballplayer," Bosch said. He would not say what the questions were.

This should have probably been the lead saying that he corroborates Braun but since ESPN went after Braun hardcore when his test results were leaked they can't afford to do it, they have to try to make him look bad every chance they can to not make themselves look like morons.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 am

He didn't "corroborate Braun", he said that he never talked to him, or to ANY ballplayer. So either the entire scandal is made up and he didn't sell PEDs to anyone, or that sentence is a lie.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 174)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:18 am

Did anyone see that interview with Bosch on ESPN with Pedro gomez? Man, the guy just looks and acts like a complete slimeball.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mac-unit » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 am

Skin Blues wrote:He didn't "corroborate Braun", he said that he never talked to him, or to ANY ballplayer. So either the entire scandal is made up and he didn't sell PEDs to anyone, or that sentence is a lie.

He's lying. Not to protect some baseball player, but PED's are illegal and he'll be sent to jail for selling them.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:48 am

That's a fairly safe assumption.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 174)