Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Alex Rodriguez is so good at so many things. I don't think you're giving him enough credit here. He's awesome at things such as; posing for pictures, collecting mad bank, destroying franchises, being kinda gay, doing Madonna, being good against the twins in the playoffs (I'm sure that skill set still exists, given the opportunity), and a whole skew of other qualities centered around being dumb and/or conceited.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:57 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Alex Rodriguez is so good at so many things. I don't think you're giving him enough credit here. He's awesome at things such as; posing for pictures, collecting mad bank, destroying franchises, being kinda gay, doing Madonna, being good against the twins in the playoffs (I'm sure that skill set still exists, given the opportunity), and a whole skew of other qualities centered around being dumb and/or conceited.

You forgot kissing mirrors
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby West » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:02 pm

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... ources-say

Rotoworld summary

The name of the spokeswoman for Robinson Cano's charity was discovered in the Biogenesis documents.
The spokeswoman, Sonia Cruz, denies ever having purchased anything from the now-closed PED clinic and insisted to ESPN.com's T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish that Cano "definitely never did." The records list Cruz as owing $300 in both July and August of 2012 -- which is consistent with the monthly fee for a weight-loss regimen. Cano is not in any trouble. Neither is Cruz.

I think the way MLB has handled this whole investigation is kind of sloppy.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:Alex Rodriguez is so good at so many things. I don't think you're giving him enough credit here. He's awesome at things such as; posing for pictures, collecting mad bank, destroying franchises, being kinda gay, doing Madonna, being good against the twins in the playoffs (I'm sure that skill set still exists, given the opportunity), and a whole skew of other qualities centered around being dumb and/or conceited.

Also distracting opposing fielders so that they drop pop ups. Also baseball itself (he's probably the greatest SS/3B ever to play the game).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:04 pm

mweir145 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Also distracting opposing fielders so that they drop pop ups. Also baseball itself (he's probably the greatest SS/3B ever to play the game).

I'd still take Honus Wagner. Of course, I would probably take Honus Wager over every other infielder in the history of the game.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 pm

The top 3 SS in career WAR are Wagner, ARod, Ripken. (Jeter is #6).

If you add in 2B you have Rogers Hornsby and Eddie Collins who beat ARod.

No 3B beats him with Schmidt being the closest.

Most of the top WARs by hitters are OF because even with the lesser defensive bonus the fact it is easier on the player gives them a longevity edge (and yeah this has been proven regardless of what those who say 3B isn't an injury prone position say, they are simply wrong, sorry.)
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby West » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 pm

I would say 3B is slightly more injury prone than 1B. But less than 2B/SS where you are constantly taken out by double play balls. When you consider the tolls taken on catchers and middle infielders, 3B doesn't look too bad and the only real desirable position to play is obviously 1st. In the outfield you run more and have walls and other outfielders to contend with. If you've ever played baseball you know that 3B is a pretty safe place to play all things considered. You dive once a game and you charge one or two bunts a game. Hardly any bunts if you're in the AL. It's not that bad.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 am

The injury spectrum goes C - SS - 2B - CF - 3B - RF - LF- 1B. But some people on this forum took great offense at this and told me that LF and RF are way more injury prone than 3B and nothing in the history of baseball agrees with them. The only strong argument in that range might be that 2B is more injury prone than SS, it is hard to tell. 3B is very hard on the back and knees. Running into walls might cause more freak injuries but the OF is very easy on the body overall.
Last edited by Ender on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mweir145 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:39 am

It's arguable. Wagner played like 100 years ago. Great among his peers in that era, but the level of baseball has undoubtedly improved since that time.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:45 am

mweir145 wrote:It's arguable. Wagner played like 100 years ago. Great among his peers in that era, but the level of baseball has undoubtedly improved since that time.

Yeah, and his peers came from a tiny player pool as well...I almost can't take anything seriously from that long ago, it's just not the same.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers