Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 pm

thedude wrote:Ouch. That would be very brutal for the Yankees. I cannot remember off the top of my head, would A-Rod be able to serve the suspension while on the 60 day DL?

Yes. Granderson would serve most of his suspension on the DL as well.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:06 am

ayebatter wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
ayebatter wrote:OMG just let 'em PED it up and get on with it, the integrity of the game ended with $100 million contracts.

but it was cool at $95MM, amirite or amirite?

$100 million just sounded good but it took far less than that. ;-)

Nolan Ryan was the first million dollar player. Lets blame him.
Oh and he and Tom House were as tight as ticks on a dog, and Houses history with PEDS is legendary.
sooooo...
I blame them. ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:23 am

Players get that much now because they are worth that much to sale value of the team. Grantland did an article on NBA salaries the other day and showed that the value of the Miami Heat rose 300 million dollars after they brought Lebron to town. That's a pretty good return on their money. The Yankees are worth 1 billion dollars... throwing 25 million a year to players is nothing. No integrity has been lost by mammoth contracts, the business of sports has just become a behemoth and the players are reaping the benefits. The only integrity issue is that you have mid and small market owners not willing to invest to build the value of their team and instead play conservative with profit sharing.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 am

Anyway, if four players of this caliber get caught... what happens to PEDs in baseball? I gotta think this would scare a lot of players away from taking the risk.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 am

MLB needs to sweep this under the rug. Both for the sake of my fantasy team and to preserve the idea that the "PED era" is over.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 am

Or they need to bring out the ugly truth about gambling etc from the past. This game has never been clean and neither have most sports in the US.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:25 am

mweir145 wrote:MLB needs to sweep this under the rug. Both for the sake of my fantasy team and to preserve the idea that the "PED era" is over.

If the media is never going to let it go, the best thing they can do is throw stars under the bus and continue to do it until players are scared out of their minds to take the risk. Baseball will never be rid of it's PED problem until the media stops the witch hunt and that's not happening until they don't think they have anything to look for anymore. Balco, Biogenesis and whatever the next lab is will keep making headlines. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the only way that baseball is ever going to wash their hands of this.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:47 am

jfg wrote:
mweir145 wrote:MLB needs to sweep this under the rug. Both for the sake of my fantasy team and to preserve the idea that the "PED era" is over.

If the media is never going to let it go, the best thing they can do is throw stars under the bus and continue to do it until players are scared out of their minds to take the risk. Baseball will never be rid of it's PED problem until the media stops the witch hunt and that's not happening until they don't think they have anything to look for anymore. Balco, Biogenesis and whatever the next lab is will keep making headlines. I'm not saying it's right, but it's the only way that baseball is ever going to wash their hands of this.

Go big or go home. If you are going to use the scared straight approach, make the first positive test a one year suspension. The public was not convinced that baseball was free from gambling until the penalty was so severe that throwing games simply was not worth the risk.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:03 am

A-Rod seems to be nearly finished, but Grandy and Cano having 50 games off? Rut roh

I kinda don't believe it'll be JUST these guys.
I just purchased Sabathia in an auction, and I'm not liking my chances with three Yankees caught already :-o
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:05 am

AussieDodger wrote:A-Rod seems to be nearly finished, but Grandy and Cano having 50 games off? Rut roh

I kinda don't believe it'll be JUST these guys.
I just purchased Sabathia in an auction, and I'm not liking my chances with three Yankees caught already :-o

Grandy was gonna miss 30+ anyways so it's not as bad as it would have been. Still looks pretty bad for the Yanks if this comes to fruition.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers