Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby J35J » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:34 am

So I failed and couldn't pull the trigger on Braun with the 2nd pick last night...I sooooo wanted Braun, but just couldn't do it. I took MCab there instead.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 pm

J35J wrote:So I failed and couldn't pull the trigger on Braun with the 2nd pick last night...I sooooo wanted Braun, but just couldn't do it. I took MCab there instead.

Tough break.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby bayside » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Ender wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
abrage22 wrote:Sadly, I'm taking Cano over Braun tomorrow with my 3rd pick if Cab or Trout isn't there. I enjoy being able to sleep at night...

I think that's a pretty awful idea tbh. 100+ games from Braun and 50 games of replacement player might even be more valuable than Cano.

Not to mention the thread that started this whole thing mentioned Cano as one of the names and the fact Cano is in a really weak lineup this year. But lets be serious here, for all of the players in this entire scandal, the odds of being suspended aren't any higher than the odds of a random baseball player testing positive. This is such a non factor that I think it is silly that people draft around it. On what grounds are they honestly going to suspend anyone, they don't' have any legally binding documents, there is no good reason for players to turn in other players, the players union is way stronger than the owners, the clinic itself has probably destroyed the documents and the media refused to give them to MLB. This is nothing but pure posturing at this point, MLB has no legs to stand on against any players named. They just don't want to look like they ignored the report but they fully understand they can't do squat about any of it.

Obviously this means the most for Braun since early picks matter so much more than later picks but in general it is a complete non issue.

If any of these guys are suspended its likely going to based on evidence and/or tests that we havent heard about. What makes you think if the BioGen stuff doesnt pan out for MLB that it makes it impossible to suspend any of the players were talking about? Granted, thats a big IF
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby smoovethug » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:46 pm

J35J wrote:So I failed and couldn't pull the trigger on Braun with the 2nd pick last night...I sooooo wanted Braun, but just couldn't do it. I took MCab there instead.

One man's loss is another man's gain. :-D

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:05 pm

If any of these guys are suspended its likely going to based on evidence and/or tests that we havent heard about. What makes you think if the BioGen stuff doesnt pan out for MLB that it makes it impossible to suspend any of the players were talking about? Granted, thats a big IF

They didn't give the documents to MLB so how do they have evidence we haven't heard about? This is just not a tenable situation for MLB to do anything about. The way stuff is leaked constantly if they had more evidence we would have heard about it most likely anyway but where would it have come from? I mean they are doing what they have to in order to look like they are pursuing it but logically speaking there just isn't a way I can see anyone getting suspended over any of this. I'd ignore the entire thing while drafting, especially for anyone past Braun considering the value lost once you get to even Gio is pretty small for a suspension.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby k.k. » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:06 pm

I draft later today with the 3rd pick overall. I'm contented to take whoever falls to me of the top 3, Miggy, Trout and Braun. I would prefer it not be Braun because of all this mess brewing, but if it is him sitting there I will have to take him and hope for the best.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:50 pm

You can always take Braun, wait a few weeks for no news to come out and then flip him for someone else.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bayside » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:14 am

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... -now-what/

Wendy Thurm says:
April 2, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Purchasing a banned substance does violate the Joint Drug Program. And yes, MLB is undoubtedly looking for documentary evidence so it can suspend more players, in an effort to prove its zero tolerance policy toward PEDs.

Wendy Thurm is the author btw. (and also actually has a law degree)

hmmm, looks like if those documents still exist that MLB may get its hands on them yet... seems that MLB is not just posturing and might have legs to stand on indeed.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:31 am

bayside wrote:http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/mlb-sued-biogenesis-now-what/

Wendy Thurm says:
April 2, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Purchasing a banned substance does violate the Joint Drug Program. And yes, MLB is undoubtedly looking for documentary evidence so it can suspend more players, in an effort to prove its zero tolerance policy toward PEDs.

Wendy Thurm is the author btw. (and also actually has a law degree)

hmmm, looks like if those documents still exist that MLB may get its hands on them yet... seems that MLB is not just posturing and might have legs to stand on indeed.

Nobody is arguing that they can't legally suspend players based on something like this. We have seen the documents and they were chicken scratchings that don't prove a thing though and even if they try to suspend players on this it is going to be a long legal battle and nothing is going to be done about it this year. Specifically on the Braun part it was so inconclusive they didn't even include his name in the initial report because there was no indication he did anything. Maybe that first list of names they released have something to worry about for next year but really nothing is going to happen anytime soon with any of this.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:18 pm

While I agree I don't think anything will happen soon I don't think MLB or anyone has seen all of the documents from Biogenesis. If they are forced to turn over documents I think we will see new players names popping up and a lot of suspensions.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers