Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm

KULCAT wrote:I remember about 7-8 years ago there was a guy in these boards defending Barry Bonds. He'd post links to articles in the 90´s proving that Barry was "working out harder than ever" and the he was trying a "new approach to strengh training" even though Barry weighted about 40 pounds more than in 1997 and everything made perfect sense to him. He was absolutely convinced that in time all of the public perception wouldturn and people and the media would be proven wrong. Im sure he is still around and he is watching this debate and saying to himself "thats how i looked back in the day"

Id be honored to know my posts were as clear and concise as Enders..

and btw, that's what happens when you work out. you gain muscle, and you get heavier...

have a nice day. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:35 pm

KULCAT wrote:
Ender wrote:
I don't expect to change anyone's opinion on the internet, I'm painfully aware that 90% of the population blindly believes anything they hear on the news and ESPN and MLB network are tilting the story heavily in one direction but I at least have to show that my opinion is based on something logical.

Yeah the Bonds guy was just as condescending as you are. His argument basically the same. Media is for you the sheep, even though your main argument comes from info that was also published on ESPN and Yahoo.
For a guy who is guilt free Braun sure gets connected to PED scandals. Im sure someone in Biogenesis made a mistake and was probably writing a paper on steroids and Eva Braun

so you've made 2 posts in the last year, and you logged on to personally attack somebody having a peaceful debate.

I take back that "have a nice day" slip of mine.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:47 pm

If it's true that the MLB is going hard after guys like A-Rod and Braun that have been linked to Biogensis, then that tells me that we can go ahead and assume the rumor that Baun,A-Rod, Cano, Granderson are going to be suspended for a failed test is false, since the MLB wouldn't have to go after these players if it were true.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
Ender wrote:I'm painfully aware that 90% of the population blindly believes anything they hear on the news and ESPN and MLB network are tilting the story heavily in one direction but I at least have to show that my opinion is based on something logical.

And I assume you, the man who says there is 100% no way in the world Braun is suspended because there isn't enough evidence, falls into that 90%. Correct? hahaha...

Considering the media hasn't said anything like that well your post just makes no sense. Seems like you just ran out of rebuttals.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby k.k. » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:39 am

May I ask the simple question.....if a guy is drafting this weekend is it still safe to take Braun with a top 3 overall pick? Is this 'Braun to be suspended' story gaining steam, about the same, or beginning to wane?
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:12 am

I think it is safe to draft him because the player's union is very strong, the documents were not handed over to MLB and Bosch destroyed the rest of his records. It has nothing to do with guys being guilty or innocent, I just don't see how they have the proof to push a suspension through what is the strongest player's union in sports. MLB can try to suspend someone but I just don't see them succeeding even if they try.

I don't see that what was in the documents was enough to legally sue anyone either so I don't even see how their plan to go after Bosch is going to work. This seems like it is more of a public relations thing than anyone. MLB saying what they would like to do but knowing they don't really have the power to do much.

The 2nd thing at work for me at least is that I have Braun worth $4 more so even if I knew without a doubt he was going to miss 10% of the season and I was playing in a league with no bench I'd say they are still worth about exactly the same. Give me a bench to replace him with a replacement level OF and Braun can be suspended 25 games and I still have him more valuable than Cabrera. A 50 game suspension would stink and would definitely hurt his value but it would still place him as a 1st round pick after the replacement level guy. He is just that far ahead of the field. I'm more worried about Kemp's injury than I am Braun's possibility of being suspended so Kemp makes a pretty naturally floor in value for me. Even if I were really worried about a suspension I couldn't move him down past Kemp.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:56 pm

wrveres wrote:
KULCAT wrote:I remember about 7-8 years ago there was a guy in these boards defending Barry Bonds. He'd post links to articles in the 90´s proving that Barry was "working out harder than ever" and the he was trying a "new approach to strengh training" even though Barry weighted about 40 pounds more than in 1997 and everything made perfect sense to him. He was absolutely convinced that in time all of the public perception wouldturn and people and the media would be proven wrong. Im sure he is still around and he is watching this debate and saying to himself "thats how i looked back in the day"

Id be honored to know my posts were as clear and concise as Enders..

and btw, that's what happens when you work out. you gain muscle, and you get heavier...

have a nice day. :-)

Couldn't agree more. Ender is one of the people whose opinion I respect the most. He'd be the last person to attack like this.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby abrage22 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Sadly, I'm taking Cano over Braun tomorrow with my 3rd pick if Cab or Trout isn't there. I enjoy being able to sleep at night...
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 pm

abrage22 wrote:Sadly, I'm taking Cano over Braun tomorrow with my 3rd pick if Cab or Trout isn't there. I enjoy being able to sleep at night...

I think that's a pretty awful idea tbh. 100+ games from Braun and 50 games of replacement player might even be more valuable than Cano.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
abrage22 wrote:Sadly, I'm taking Cano over Braun tomorrow with my 3rd pick if Cab or Trout isn't there. I enjoy being able to sleep at night...

I think that's a pretty awful idea tbh. 100+ games from Braun and 50 games of replacement player might even be more valuable than Cano.

Not to mention the thread that started this whole thing mentioned Cano as one of the names and the fact Cano is in a really weak lineup this year. But lets be serious here, for all of the players in this entire scandal, the odds of being suspended aren't any higher than the odds of a random baseball player testing positive. This is such a non factor that I think it is silly that people draft around it. On what grounds are they honestly going to suspend anyone, they don't' have any legally binding documents, there is no good reason for players to turn in other players, the players union is way stronger than the owners, the clinic itself has probably destroyed the documents and the media refused to give them to MLB. This is nothing but pure posturing at this point, MLB has no legs to stand on against any players named. They just don't want to look like they ignored the report but they fully understand they can't do squat about any of it.

Obviously this means the most for Braun since early picks matter so much more than later picks but in general it is a complete non issue. I mean if you want to pick MCab over Braun whatever, but if you are moving guys like Gio down on your list because of this stuff I think it is a huge mistake.
Last edited by Ender on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers