Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Re: Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspend

Postby wrveres » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:32 pm

thedude wrote:
wrveres wrote: Some how when they were busy breaking the law releasing names on the list of 104, they forgot to include Sosa.

What law did attorney George Mitchell and his law firm break?

I never said it was Mitchell. Only that he investigated Sosa and came up with nothing.
But clearly some lawyer was breaking the law by releasing names from a list that was under court seal.
Could it have been Mitchell's team? Sure.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby silverZ » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Did you guys know Sosa's white now?

84 more pages...

This is the most important fact that I've ingested from the entire thread.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby jeffmerk » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Ender wrote:
thedude wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
You don't know that. There are many possible explanations for the increase in power around baseball in those years (juiced baseballs, smaller ballparks, expansion era, etc.) and they obviously don't all involve PED use.

I have a bridge that I would love to sell you...

Actually he is 100% without a shadow of a doubt correct. Those years came after back to back league expansions which always result in offensive explosions and having 2 of them back to back made it even worse. They changed companies for who makes the balls and they were made in different ways. Tests were run on the balls that showed if you applied the same force to those balls as to the old ones it would fly as much as 48 feet farther. There is almost no chance that steroids were the major player in that HR spike, they were a minor player for sure. Anabolic steroids are a very different beast than what players use these days as well.

Maris hit his 61 in the first year of AL expansion.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 90)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:44 pm

silverZ wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Did you guys know Sosa's white now?

84 more pages...

This is the most important fact that I've ingested from the entire thread.

Mine is that I can't count, cause I said 84 more pages when we were on page 14...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Source: Cano, A-Rod, Braun, Granderson to be suspended

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:02 pm

I didn't even bat an eye at that. (That's a weird phrase..). This thread is well on its way to 84, I just assumed we were already there.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby Izenhart » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:14 am

lastingsgriller wrote:I didn't even bat an eye at that. (That's a weird phrase..). This thread is well on its way to 84, I just assumed we were already there.

Nothing kills a thread better than talking about how many pages its gonna go. But did this story break (pun intended) after the Granderson news? Because I could see something like this just being thrown into the wind and people thinking it's real. Just a propaganda headline aimed to please Bostonians. Arod and Grandy won't be effected by a 50 game suspension due to their DL time, Braun makes sense with the previous headlines linking him to the clinic. Cano is the lead here. I wonder if nothing comes of this story people will remember and ask him about it.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 298)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:28 pm

One reason I think this could be false is that the rumored players aren't really hiding in the dark like you'd expect them to if this big news about them was about to be announced. Granderson is still tweeting and posting pictures of himself smiling, Braun accepted an invitation to play for team USA in the WBC, Cano is also playing for the Dominicans. I don't know, if I knew I was about to be involved in a MAJOR story and my reputation was about to be completely tarnished, I'd probably be laying pretty low..

Maybe that sounds stupid, but just something I was thinking about.

IF these rumors are true, could Bud be waiting until after the WBC is finished to make the announcements? Maybe the MLB doesn't want to spill the beans on this gigantic news which would completely steal any of the media attention the WBC is getting right now.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:35 pm

IF these rumors are true, could Bud be waiting until after the WBC is finished to make the announcements? Maybe the MLB doesn't want to spill the beans on this gigantic news which would completely steal any of the media attention the WBC is getting right now.

If they are true they would still have to wait for the appeal process to be completed which will take a few months. It is highly unlikely any of this is true though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 pm

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-03-14 ... iogenesis/

They officially did not release the report to the MLB. In the things they did release they blacked out the names of anyone who had no real connection to steroids in the report and that included blacking out Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Braun since nothing about their inclusion suggested steroid purchases the way other players did.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Ender wrote:http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-03-14/news/new-times-steroids-mlb-biogenesis/

They officially did not release the report to the MLB. In the things they did release they blacked out the names of anyone who had no real connection to steroids in the report and that included blacking out Gio Gonzalez and Ryan Braun since nothing about their inclusion suggested steroid purchases the way other players did.

Wow. Talk about holier than though and factually incorrect in parts:

It started with Shoeless Joe Jackson, the Chicago White Sox player and son of a sharecropper who was unjustly banned from baseball for fixing the 1919 World Series. The guy who probably had more to do with that deal, White Sox owner Charles Comiskey, walked free after the scandal and even had the White Sox stadium dedicated in his name.

I have never seen it suggested anywhere than Charles Comiskey (who was a total turd) had any part in fixing the 1919 World Series.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers