SPs: 5 avoid, 5 target - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SPs: 5 avoid, 5 target

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: SPs: 5 avoid, 5 target

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 pm

Dickey has been one of the best pitchers in the league for 3 years now, it is just a matter of whether or not he keeps the K rates.

I'm not touching Brett Anderson because even if he is healthy he just isn't very good. Back in 2009 when he actually struck guys out I was interested but the past 3 years even when healthy he doesn't give you Ks and he is a high 1.2 WHIP guy so he is really only giving you ERA as a strength and even that is erratic.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 am

mzu wrote:Timmy is actually someone I am targeting...he is going to be facing other team's number 3 starters this year...

Remember that is a fallacy.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:58 am

Sticky Spice wrote:
mzu wrote:Timmy is actually someone I am targeting...he is going to be facing other team's number 3 starters this year...

Remember that is a fallacy.

Yeah he'll face their #3 pitchers like twice and then everyone will be in a different spot of their rotation.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Who are the late round pitchers you guys really like?
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:50 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Who are the late round pitchers you guys really like?

Trevor Cahill and Clay Buccholz come to mind real quick. Alex Cobb suddenly is a fantasy darling.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Izenhart » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:52 pm

5 I try and avoid: Felix, Dickey, Moore, Lester, Kennedy (Any pitcher on a really bad team I don't care how good you are, wins are a fantasy category --- I'm looking at you and your declining velocity Felix, CHC, HOU, etc...)

To a lesser extent I'm avoiding Grienke, Halladay and Darvish whenever possible.

5 I try and target: Wainwright, Fister, Harvey, Bailey and Estrada. Add a round 1-2 Verlander/Kershaw with this group and that's the main six I try and nab every draft.

To a lesser extent I like these three guys also: Latos, Bumgarner, Miller. Bumgarner's overly slow delivery concerns me, runners take advantage of it and wind up in scoring position fairly easy against him. If he could fix this problem I'd be all over him in every draft.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 pm

Izenhart wrote:5 I try and avoid: Felix, Dickey, Moore, Lester, Kennedy (Any pitcher on a really bad team I don't care how good you are, wins are a fantasy category --- I'm looking at you and your declining velocity Felix, CHC, HOU, etc...)

To a lesser extent I'm avoiding Grienke, Halladay and Darvish whenever possible.

5 I try and target: Wainwright, Fister, Harvey, Bailey and Estrada. Add a round 1-2 Verlander/Kershaw with this group and that's the main six I try and nab every draft.

To a lesser extent I like these three guys also: Latos, Bumgarner, Miller. Bumgarner's overly slow delivery concerns me, runners take advantage of it and wind up in scoring position fairly easy against him. If he could fix this problem I'd be all over him in every draft.

Why Moore out of curiosity?
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:06 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Why Moore out of curiosity?

Partially because any team I had last year that didn't do well had him on it, but also because I got to watch him a lot and he was much too wild for most of the year. Batters seem to be able to lay off his breaking pitches with two strikes, he started getting ahead of batters and the blowing the fastball by them instead of his slider and had a better second half. I still see all of his pitches as hittable and I don't think he has the control to make his pitches as effective as they could be. He's still young and could build on what looked like solid improvement as the year progressed, but I wouldn't rank him where he is currently without buying into the improvement 100%.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Izenhart wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Why Moore out of curiosity?

Partially because any team I had last year that didn't do well had him on it, but also because I got to watch him a lot and he was much too wild for most of the year. Batters seem to be able to lay off his breaking pitches with two strikes, he started getting ahead of batters and the blowing the fastball by them instead of his slider and had a better second half. I still see all of his pitches as hittable and I don't think he has the control to make his pitches as effective as they could be. He's still young and could build on what looked like solid improvement as the year progressed, but I wouldn't rank him where he is currently without buying into the improvement 100%.

Yes, he was wild last year but take a look at Kershaw's first year. I can definitely see him having a career trajectory similar to Kershaw. I'd give it a 50% shot. I won't be reaching for Moore because there is still some risk there, but if I can get him around his MDP, I'm going for it.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:38 pm

I see their stats at the beginning of their career being very similar, but I see two different pitchers with my eyes. Sometimes the scout in me pushes away the Billy Beane. Kershaw has filthy stuff and can get good hitters to chase bad pitches. Moore doesn't posses this yet. If he worked on improving his control just a little and making better pitch selection then yes I see the potential. I just don't think it will be this year and the AL East even with a hobbled YankSox is still offensively inclined.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers