SPs: 5 avoid, 5 target - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SPs: 5 avoid, 5 target

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SPs: 5 avoid, 5 target

Postby isayfujobu » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:48 am

avoid: Felix, CC, Weaver, Lincecum, Sale -there's actually a lot of guys that I'm leery about, but all of these guys have declining FB velocity, some have declining skills (lincecum, halladay - not buying bouncebacks), are an injury waiting to happen (CC, Sale elbows). Felix's K% and SwStr% are up, but he still worries me with his velocity, mileage at that price tag.

target: Samardzija, Homer Bailey, Scherzer, Gio, Matt Moore - all of these guys have seen FB velocity increase last yr, with the exception of Moore who completed his first full season as a starter. Most of these guys have 9+ k/9 ratios, with Bailey being the only non-strikeout asset as a sleeper. Scherzer's 2nd half last year carried me. Gio and The Shark are improving command and BB%. This group could have me pulling my hair out, but I'll risk it with the upside, and anchor my team with offense.

What are some guys you are avoiding/targeting, and why?
isayfujobu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: SPs: 5 avoid, 5 target

Postby mzu » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Timmy is actually someone I am targeting...no girly hair, contract year + he is going to be facing other team's number 3 starters this year. I agree on Felix and CC, I think the innings finally catch up with them.

Max and Homer should be great buys this year. Madbum will be overlooked with his bad postseason so he should be a good buy. Darvish and Parker are also interesting with all those Astro matchups now.
mzu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:18 pm

I like Lincecum this year too just because he is dropping so far. Don't expect a full rebound but he should be worth where he is going.

I'm not a Samardjia guy at all. Bad team, bad defense, big innings jump, way too slider dependent, a fastball that is very hittable, name that is too hard to spell.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mzu » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Ender wrote:name that is too hard to spell.

Hahaha +1..half the time I can't draft him because I can't spell his name to find him.
mzu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:23 pm

mzu wrote:
Ender wrote:name that is too hard to spell.

Hahaha +1..half the time I can't draft him because I can't spell his name to find him.

+2 ;-D
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby misterf » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm

Adding 1 to the avoid list:

R.A. Dickey

I can't buy into the 38 year old knuckleballer putting up numbers anywhere close to what he did last year.....

yet he is being drafted as a #2 starter at approx. the same time as guys like Bumgarner, Gio Gonzalez. Wainwright, Sale and Halladay. No way I pay that kind of price for the guy.

Maybe if he fell to the 9th or 10th round.....but while he is going in the 5th or 6th round he wont be on any of my teams.
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Postby misterf » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:29 pm

On the target side:

Madison Bumgarner

The kid is a country-strong beast. He's just 24 and is on;y going to get better.. I think he has a good shot at outperforming his teammate Cain to be the ace of that staff.....which makes MadBum a bargain since he is being drafted a full round-and-a-half later than Cain.

(don't get me wrong....I am not knocking Cain....I think he is great and he is a good value where he is being drafted)
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:56 pm

My thoughts on some of the guys mentioned so far.

Sabathia has an MDP of 62. I'm a little concerned about his elbow but this seems ok (a close eye on his spring training though). Funny story about being concerned about pitchers with heavy workloads. I traded CC for Webb in a keeper about 5 years ago because I thought CC was being overworked. I no longer concern myself with veteran workloads for veterans.

Felix - MDP 30 - I'm buying him if I'm taking a pitcher that early.

Sale - MDP 68 - People are right to be concerned but I think this ranking takes that concern into affect. I'll buy at this point in the draft.

Weaver - MDP 43 - Maybe but I'm not too thrilled with his disappearing K rate

Bumgarner - MDP 56 - I want him on my team. that is all.

Dickey - MDP 65 - I do not trust him at all. a novelty pitch with a >6 K/9 season only once while moving to the AL East

Samardzija - MDP 126 - tough call. Great K:BB last year but he it's a one season sample and I don't really trust it. Probably not enough upside at this point in the draft.

timmy - MDP 122 - I would definitely take him instead of Jeff Alphabet.

Scherzer, Moore and Gio all seem like guys I would target in the 50-100 area. that's where I like to build my staff.

One to add is Mat latos at 91. Cueto doesn't K quite enough but he's another guy that I might grab in the 90's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 160)

Postby OBPlover » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Chris Sale will probably be injured by July as will his teammate, Peavy. In fact, I'd be willing to take a surprise gamble that the White Sox will finish in dead last place this year.

Robin Ventura's abuse of his pitching staff is alarming. I remember checking Peavy's stat line and seeing that he threw 125 pitches. Wasn't working on a no hitter or perfect game. YOU DON'T DO THAT TO INJURY PRONE PITCHERS. You know ehre they say that the manager doesn't matter? Well that's not always true. I am going to nominate SALE/PEAVY in the Auction leagues this year and get people to blow their money on them.

As per, Jeff Spellcheck required. Definitely wortha gamble. IIRC he's got the 4th or 5th highest avg velocity. His team isn't great but he should still be ok and pick up 12-15 wins with an ERA in the low 3's.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers