Can you start the draft SP-SP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can you start the draft SP-SP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can you start the draft SP-SP?

Postby Chaos151p » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am

First year points league, 12-team H2H (4-OF, no CI/MI... 5 SP/2RP), I was thinking of drafting SP in rounds 1 and 2. The top pitchers gain slightly more points then the top hitters, and there are plenty of hitters to go around as well (in rounds 3-9). After a few mocks, I can't see passing up a hitters value in round 2... like Kinsler/Pedroia/Bautista/etc but the 5th-7th SP is projected for more points at this point (Hamels/Felix/Lee/CC) paired with a 1st round pick of Verlander/Kershaw/Stras/Price - that's a nice 1-2 punch depending on who your #1 hitter is (in the 3rd)

Projected: #4 Pujols (580 pts), #6 Kemp (560), #8 Cano (540)... #1 Kershaw (640), #7 Hamels (560), #10 Lee (540)

Can you start an offense with say Castro or Harper or Adrian (that 3rd round area), if you back him up with a 4th rounder like Yoenis or Bruce or Ellsbury?

I know grabbing a Cano/Votto/Pujols type first is standard, but for argument sake - if you wanted max points with two SP to start your draft... then going best hitter for the next 5+ rounds, is it a legitimate points league strategy? Given that guys will reach for picks, need to draft their SP1 and 2 while you grab hitters that fall

Or does is make more sense to go Hitter/Pitcher/Hitter... or Hitter/Hitter/Pitcher = since SP1 in round 2 or 3 will still gain 540+ points? I like the idea of getting the ace out of the way early, to help setup the rest of the draft.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can you start the draft SP-SP?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:33 pm

In a points league it all depends about the scoring system. If SP get the most point I would have no problem taking them 1-2 in the draft. H2H league I would worry about streaming if SP are so valuable though. Another thing to think about is that you could be hurting on weeks you only get 1 start from your aces.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:46 pm

In points leagues you don't care at all where you get your points...just get the points.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Chaos151p » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:11 pm

Good advice, I haven't seen much on points league strategies... I think I'll chase the points.

Do stats really even matter? I know HR are 4 points and steals worth 2... shouldn't homerun hitters be more valued, they can change the day come Sunday (being a weekly lineup league). Do you even look at stats when drafting, as far as one guy is projected for 20-15 and another at 17-20... I mean what should you look at when deciding between 2-3 guys in a round.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:48 pm

Chaos151p wrote:Good advice, I haven't seen much on points league strategies... I think I'll chase the points.

Do stats really even matter? I know HR are 4 points and steals worth 2... shouldn't homerun hitters be more valued, they can change the day come Sunday (being a weekly lineup league). Do you even look at stats when drafting, as far as one guy is projected for 20-15 and another at 17-20... I mean what should you look at when deciding between 2-3 guys in a round.

In every points league I've seen HR hitters and K pitcher are the most valuable. I'd look at the stats to determine if you think the numbers are likely for the 2013 season but I wouldn't worry about where the points are coming from.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Yup, just find out what your scoring is and then take your projections or projections you like and put those points up against those projections...then just sort by points and draft accordingly.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Play a points league like you would play an NFL league pretty much. It takes all of the thought out of the game.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers