Any deep AL 3B sleepers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any deep AL 3B sleepers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any deep AL 3B sleepers?

Postby colt4523 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:51 pm

I noticed after the first 3 (longo, beltre, Mcab) there isn't a lot of reliable players especially in an AL only league. Does anyone have any good sleepers? Does Dominguez have any value? Chisenhall? Donaldson?
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Any deep AL 3B sleepers?

Postby Element » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Seager, Machado, Lawrie, Moustakas, MIddlebrooks ... I would probably like to end up with one of those guys. If I miss on them I would probably settle on Plouffe. I miss on him ... shoot me. I am not high on Dominguez at all. Keppinger or Callaspo are decent fillers until you find a better solution. Chissenhall ... maybe for a bench slot.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:14 am

Since you said deep sleepers I'm only going to look at guys that don't get drafted in most leagues.

Chisenhall is going to be a regular mixed league 3B within the next couple of years. It isn't clear if it is this year though since he might end up in a platoon still. It won't surprise me if he is like 50% owned in mixed by the end of the year though.

Keppinger has good value if the White Sox do end up starting him every day. He is a huge injury risk though and doesn't tend to hit as well when he plays full time.

If Callaspo ends up batting 2nd he could have quite a bit of value for somebody that nobody ever drafts.

Ciriaco for Boston could have value if Middlebrooks goes down with this wrist injury he is working with. Kind of a weird skillset to get from 3B though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Real Deal » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:44 pm

it seems to me that there are 7 guys that i wouldnt mind having on my team....

obviously, the top 3guys in mcab, longo, and beltre,,,,but assuming you miss out on those guys, i would be more than happy to roster machado, middlebrooks, lawrie, or moustakas.

in my opinion, if i couldnt grab any of the latter four, i would really wait to draft my 3rd baseman, and start taking best players available regardless of position. hopefully, with the increased depth created with this startegy, you could flip somebody once the season began??? no sense grabbing a crap guy just to fill a void when you could just wait and get a slightly crappier guy and shore up your overall depth....just saying
Real Deal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby colt4523 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:06 pm

Good input. The only available decent 3b that will be available in my league will be Youk. After that nobody. All players named in this thread are kept except Callaspo. Probably looking at punting 3rd. Anyone know who is going to play 3b for Oakland?
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby Real Deal » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Real Deal
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cannonarm21 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:17 pm

After the research I have done, I really think 3B will be the position I wait on this year. I am happy with at least 12 guys at that position in a 12 team league, and will probably take 2 late and hope that one for sure will work out.

Cabrera, Zimmerman, Longoria, Headley, Wright, Beltre, A. Ramirez,H Ramirez, Lawrie to me are for sure starters. (9)
I am also comfortable rolling the dice on Middlebrooks, Sandoval, Freese, Moustakas, Machado (5)

There are 14 guys without even scratching the surface of "sleepers".

I guess a sleeper I have in mind is Pedro Alvarez.Still only 26, after June 15th he hit .274 and and hit 22 of his 30 home runs after that date. If you have daily lineup changes, just make sure you have a backup plan and bench Alvarez vs. lefties.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby silverZ » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:41 pm

colt4523 wrote:Good input. The only available decent 3b that will be available in my league will be Youk. After that nobody. All players named in this thread are kept except Callaspo. Probably looking at punting 3rd. Anyone know who is going to play 3b for Oakland?

I have Callaspo and Josh Donaldson as my 3B/CI in a deep al only dynasty league. Donaldson is pretty intriguing if you look at his minor league stats and the impressive run he went on last August/Sept. Callaspo is just filler.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 pm

I think you have to factor in that Donaldson's AAA power numbers came in the PCL.

another option for the A's to have 3B eligibility is Scott Sizemore. he missed all of 2012, but had some faily good numbers with the A's after coming over from Detroit in 2011.

Brett Wallace is another option, depending on the league. he started 5 games last year at 3B, so in yahoo that gives him 3B eligibility.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 am

there's another recent thread about Plouffe. He has had an atyipical development but there are some indications that some of that power breakout is for real. He could go .250 with 25 HR's.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers