Keepers: Trade or Status Quo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keepers: Trade or Status Quo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keepers: Trade or Status Quo?

Postby Knights » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:36 pm

I'm in a 16-team 6x6 H2H keeper league (keep 6), and the deadline to set my keepers is 10 days away.

Here are the players I'm keeping at the moment:
Anthony Rizzo (1B)
Dustin Pedroia (2B)
Brett Lawrie (3B)
Hanley Ramirez (3B/SS)
James Shields (SP)
Johnny Cueto (SP)

While my infield is set, my keeper list leave 2 major holes - a true power bat and an OF. So right now I'm debating back-and-forth whether I should go into the draft with the 6 keepers listed above, or if I should try to deal a SP (likely Shields?) for a heavy-hitting OF?

What does everyone here think? And if I were to explore the trade route, what OF players could I target in return for Shields (or Cueto)?

For what it's worth, here's my roster from the end of the 2012 season:
C Jonathan Lucroy
1B Anthony Rizzo
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Brett Lawrie
SS/3B Hanley Ramirez
LF/RF Matt Joyce
CF/RF Carlos Beltran
1B Kendrys Morales
C Russell Martin
2B/SS Josh Rutledge

SP James Shields
SP Johnny Cueto
SP Mike Minor
SP Jaime Garcia
SP Homer Bailey
SP Matt Garza
SP Tyler Skaggs
SP Andrew Cashner
SP Brandon Beachy
SP Michael Pineada
SP Chris Carpenter
RP Joel Hanrahan
RP Tom Wilhelmsen
RP Brandon League
Knights
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 101)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keepers: Trade or Status Quo?

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:05 pm

Yes I would trade if you can. Too bad you don't have any OF worth keeping over Shields. I can't justify keeping Beltran over Shields...

You need to trade if you can. I'd package both your arms if it takes that.

Most would disagree with this, but you could deal Hanley+Shields for a serious top OF and keep Rutledge for SS (he is huge sleeper this year - he might even outproduce Hanley - I mean he's hitting in a great home park and his core protection is healthy...why not?) Just an idea for you.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 3601)

Postby Element » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:06 pm

You're hitting the pipe too hard if you think that Rutledge is going to out perform Hanley. Perhaps you should trade Rutledge and one of the starters. Maybe someone else in your league is just as high.

You can dangle the starters, but I doubt that either net you what you would be looking for. Its worth a shot.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby fsbarren » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:33 am

If you're looking for a power bat, I'd start with Shields first and see what you can find. Rather than recommending a particular player, I'd look at all the teams' rosters and find the one that looks weak at SP. In a 16-team league, there might be a couple of options.

If you're willing to Trade H. Ramirez/Shields you might be able to get a incrementally better player, but I'm not sure Shields would be enough to to push you into top-10/top-15 range so you may not get a commensurate value in return.

Maybe you could try Lawrie/Shields for a Bruce + back-end keeper type (maybe his excess 3B if it's worthwhile) or a Holliday if you can work some magic. Or maybe just Lawrie for a power hitter that you feel brings equal value.

I think the main point is that I agree that you need at least one power bat, OF or otherwise. The nice thing about 16-team leagues is that there are always trade possibilities.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 222)

Postby Knights » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks for the input so far. So the consensus is as I thought, that I need to acquire a power bat.

How about this.... James Shields for Mark Trumbo. Could this be a reasonable offer?

I tried trading for Trumbo around the All-Star break last year, but the guy balked at it because of Trumbo's tremendous first half. Maybe I could pry him away now after his disappointing second half.

Trumbo would be the big power bat in my lineup, albeit with a big hit in both Runs and Batting Average. But with Kendrys Morales out of the picture, and Vernon Wells sinking day-by-day, at least Trumbo shouldn't have the risk of sharing some of his playing time as much this season. His minor league stats do show an eventual progression to a higher BA, so I could cross my fingers in that respect too I guess.
Knights
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Knights » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:06 am

Any other thoughts on a potential Shields for Trumbo before I offer it to the Trumbo owner?
Knights
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby elsanteny » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 am

I'd go with Trumbo. I say that being big on his talents and not so much on Sheilds although I think this is a fair trade overall if the other guy has a big bat backing his play.
elsanteny
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby fsbarren » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 am

I think Shields is the better player, but Trumbo would certainly help. If you trade for him and he gets off to a hot start like he did in 2011 and 2012, you might be able to package him in the first half and upgrade to a bigger bat...preferably one with a history of strong second halves. :-b

Good luck!
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 222)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions