Pat Burrell or Dmitri Young??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pat Burrell or Dmitri Young???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mordraken » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:57 am

While I think Cornbread may have overstated the production a little, I think Young's production will be more in the .280 Avg, 20 homers, 80 runs, 90 RBIs.

But the thing that swings the vote for me is that Young qualifies as OF and 3B, and might qualify for 1B later in the year. That makes him a much more valuable bench player than Burrell who will only play OF.

And for Kelly Gruber... Klesko, Kearns & Jenkins available? Man, all those people were taken in our draft - including Young.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:57 am

You must have someone else to drop. But if I had to choose, drop Burrell. I think he'll bounce back, but Young's 3b eligibility wins out here. But keep a watch on Pat. ;-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Spokes » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:58 am

You said, he's a lock. Well, if he's a lock, I'd would have expcted him to do it a couple of times. And I am not disputing you on average. He has hit .300 a number of times. But, he has never hit 30 and 100 And who cares about almost? So what? He still didn't reach the numbers you set for him. And if you look at what he did last year and compare it to the years before that, where he had similar protection, you could have called last year's totals a career year. He may match it again now that he is hitting in a better lineup, but there is no way Young is going to get 30 and 100. Hell, he's only had more than 90 RBIs once.
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DavidiusRex » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:59 am

I'd keep Burrell on upside alone. He has looked much better at the plate this spring. His stance is different and he's laying off of pitches that he chased last year. Myabe I'm a little biased, being a Phils fan and all :)

"What is Burrells upside again? 30-35 hrs, 100 rbis, .270 avg?"

Not sure how you can make this statement when Burrell's numbers from 2002 were better than that with an inferior lineup: 37 hrs, 116 rbis, .282 avg. And nobody knows what effect the new ballpark will have. I expect 30 100 .275, but 40 115 .285 wouldn't shock me. The Phils might score A LOT of runs this year.
Boba be cool
Boba have cool toys
Boba dis Vader and live
DavidiusRex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:39 pm

The general point Cornbread is making is right--in terms of overall value, a Burrell "bounce-back" (i.e., high-end projection) gets you to around what you can expect from Young in a normal year. I personnally do not buy into the Burrell bounce-back, and don't see him as much more than a .250 hitter. There is one thing we know aobut Dimitri, and that is that he the model of consistency--.300 and 30-25 HR power when he has a full season of at bats. I would definitely give Burrell the heave-ho rather than Young.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:05 pm

If only Dimitri had hit 1 more homer last year, all the haters couldn't be so petty.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers